War Chant has been retired

You know what Notre Dame has done a lot of since the '70s? Won football games.

Everyone up in arms about "ermagehrd we're losing the traditionz!" - traditions of what? Losing seasons? Half-full stadiums? I'm pretty ok with breaking those links to the past. Win games and the new culture will take care of itself.

We had many of those traditions when we WERE winning.

You're suggesting that this is a slippery slope and that people on the other side of the debate from you do not care about the facts.

I'm suggesting that most people are willing to listen to the facts and there is in fact a very bright line to separate things to keep from things not to keep: when the tradition was created, was it created in reference to the Chief Illiniwek mascot (or "symbol" for the snowflake PC police we have around here)?

Fighting Illini name -- nope, predates Chief, reference is to students that served in WWI
Hail to the Orange -- no reference to Native Americans
Illinois Loyalty -- official school song from 1906, predates Chief, includes "Oskee Wow Wow" cheer
Oskee Wow Wow -- official fight song from 1911, sounds like it could be problematic, but historical references indicate that it was used as a cheer at Illinois and other schools with no Native American tie

In contrast:
Chief Illiniwek -- originated 1926
War Chant -- not clear when originated but definitely post-Chief and a reference to Chief Illiniwek
March of the Illini -- written specifically for Chief Illiniwek's performances in 1926
Three-In-One routine -- created specifically for Chief Illiniwek's dance

Seems pretty straightforward to me in light of the facts.

Facts don't matter if you are offended.

EJ33

San Francisco
There were rumors of football bowl bans and other more onerous impacts coming down the road. It was inevitable at that point so you probably should just move on.

Tate said the same on WDWS yesterday.

I think there was still room to defend the Chief more vigorously, come up with a compromise solution, or simply take a wait and see approach with the NCAA to see if they pushed for more onerous sanctions.

The solution is simple. We change the official university name to Land of Lincoln University since the word Illinois evokes thought of Native Americans*. And change the team name to The Good Neighbors presented by State Farm. Fighting Illini is much too barbaric for this day and age. And we'll be handsomely compensated for the naming rights. Finally, we'll replace the 3 in 1 with the State Farm jingle as a student mascot prances along the sidelines with a big foam Aaron Rodgers head on doing the Discount Double Check dance. With our undying love and loyalty to our university, we'll soon adopt new sacred traditions that will be honored by generations to come!

*BTW, most "Native Americans" call themselves Indians. The term Native American is another PC concoction meant to make the white people who made it feel more culterally sensitive.

Can't call it Land of Lincoln University because the name Lincoln is bound to cause anxiety with him being president during our Civil War.

Good Nieghbors! Sorry, All State, a large employer in illini's is bound to be offended. Not to mention Geico and all geckos.

I vote for "University of the 21st State of the United States of America."

Last edited:
There were rumors of football bowl bans and other more onerous impacts coming down the road. It was inevitable at that point so you probably should just move on.

I know it is just speculation and rumors, but no way the NCAA could have banned us from bowl games without a legal fight. At that point, the NCAA would have been forced to defend why Chief Illniwek is racist or offensive, but Achief Osceola and his flaming spear is not.

Not to say our administration would not have caved, just ideas for discussion!

Edit : sorry for so many posts, I have been off line for almost a week, so catching up.

Mike

C-U Townie
Thank god we have level-headed folks like you out there to protect our culture.

Can you please share your evidence for your claims that "identity politics are trending downward since the election" and humanities professors are seeding "domestic terrorism on university campuses." I wasn't aware that liberal arts majors were the primary source of domestic terrorism.

OT:

Think most rational people can agree that extremist groups from both sides are a big part of our current problems. National Polls show America seems to think just that. Your favorite news sources probably do not.

Kent Brown and the Taliban strike again....best line..."....the three in one is in no danger."...HAHAHAHH.....Yes the NCAA pushed the chief out, but the war chant was sent to the sidelines by these insiders......Gee thanks...

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Tate said the same on WDWS yesterday.

I think there was still room to defend the Chief more vigorously, come up with a compromise solution, or simply take a wait and see approach with the NCAA to see if they pushed for more onerous sanctions.

There is no compromise from those who want all references to Native Americans in university imagery. There are only "another step" to the final elimination of everything, including especially the team name.

Repeat: There will be no compromise. Ex-professor Kaufman will not compromise. You'll do as you're told.

giphy.gif

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I will say this: If the symbols are stripped away from school athletics, it will certainly dim my interest. Do I want to cheer for the Illinois Eagles? The Illinois Bears? OK, something native. The Illinois Prairie Chickens. I don't think so.

And like the Mizzou fans who burned their sweatshirts and hats when the University of Missouri collapsed under pressure from a handful of noisy protestors, yeah, my logo wear, my Marching Illini CD and cassettes, and my support all go in the dumpster. Not because I want to make a statement. It's just that I won't care anymore. I won't have left my team. My team will have left me. And after 51 years of being an Illini, that's sad.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Still nobody has pointed out one tradition or culture aspect that sets us apart from any other generic school other than the 3 and 1? What connects us from generation to generation? Do I need to list off the notre dame ones to make everyone feel bad?

Someone please name some that the University hasn't killed.

OK, UI firsts and traditions:

1. Homecoming
2. Dad's Day
3. Mom's Day
4. Paint the Hall Orange?

I don't know if we were the first with the "other" special football days. I'm done.

OK, UI firsts and traditions:

1. Homecoming
2. Dad's Day
3. Mom's Day
4. Paint the Hall Orange?

I don't know if we were the first with the "other" special football days. I'm done.

Offensive to the homeless, the parent-less, and the colorblind. They're next.

It took other schools like Stanford a bit of time to deal with the mascot change as it has at Illinois.

I for one am all for a spruce tree or keg mascot. As for losing the 3 in 1 next, I've been told multiple times its incomparable, therefore how can it be compared to Native American/Chief themes?

Since the word Illinois was inspired/derived/directly taken from Native Americans, perhaps a total change in university nomenclature is due. The University of Inclusive Thoughts and Practices Localized Individuals.

On a serious note, I dont like losing these things. But if it makes people feel less oppressed, then it should be supported. In this day and age it's easier to share opinions and a lot like something else, everyone has one. If it truly affects others negatively, I can give up seeing a guy dance around or listen to drums and brass instruments play music. As someone who is part of the majority, I dont necessary think it should be my decision whether or not something is racist.

At the end of the day I dont care what music we play, what colors we use, what names we call our athletic teams or universities, I just want to see wins and national championships.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Can't call it Land of Lincoln University because the name Lincoln is bound to cause anxiety with him being president during our Civil War.

Good Nieghbors! Sorry, All State, a large employer in illini's is bound to be offended. Not to mention Geico and all geckos.

I vote for "University of the 21st State of the United States of America."

Hey, then we could have a mascot representing a typical college kid that is celebrating his/her 21st birthday, since we have that whole 21st thing working.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I for one am all for a spruce tree or keg mascot. As for losing the 3 in 1 next, I've been told multiple times its incomparable, therefore how can it be compared to Native American/Chief themes?

Since the word Illinois was inspired/derived/directly taken from Native Americans, perhaps a total change in university nomenclature is due. The University of Inclusive Thoughts and Practices Localized Individuals.

On a serious note, I dont like losing these things. But if it makes people feel less oppressed, then it should be supported. In this day and age it's easier to share opinions and a lot like something else, everyone has one. If it truly affects others negatively, I can give up seeing a guy dance around or listen to drums and brass instruments play music. As someone who is part of the majority, I dont necessary think it should be my decision whether or not something is racist.

At the end of the day I dont care what music we play, what colors we use, what names we call our athletic teams or universities, I just want to see wins and national championships.
I'm with this guy. I don't give a crap what music they play or what costume somebody wears as long as the teams representing my home state and world caliber institution I spent years at learning, enjoying, and making friends at wins games or at least fights hard trying. I'll bet the ones decrying this and renouncing support for their school (pretty weak imo) will be among the first to jump back on the bandwagon once we make another tourney run or beat Ohio State in football again.

Crazy Joe Davola

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Just my opinion, but this is what we really need to start blasting on third downs. Imagine being the opposing QB lining up under center, just to hear 60K die-hard Illini fans belting this out. How could you even get a play off, let alone pay attention to what coverage is coming at you?

I tell ya what, man, that would be electric.

https://youtu.be/iW4mBN4dEiE

Last edited by a moderator:
Your interest in the football game would decrease if we were the Illinois Eagles?

I have no history or association of any kind with the Illinois Eagles so I would have to say that absolutely yes my interest would decrease. Players, coaches, the administration change all the time while our history and pride remain constant.