Weber's Comments Yesterday at the Independent Sports Club Smoker

North Carolina
http://209.62.39.18/~bradleyf/vb/showthread.php?t=5280 (Comments by a Bradley fan who was at the event yesterday)

In addition to discussing the team, Weber made the following comment:

"Bruce Weber commented that this is the 1 year anniversary of the cell phone call he received from E.J. Gordon to inform him that Eric Gordon was decommitting from Illinois and going to Indiana. He then said, "and E.J. can kiss my a$$". The crowd loved it. . . .Weber also admitted that this was a very good day for him, since Illinois received the 2 verbal commitments. However, he would not talk about them, or name any names, to avoid getting into trouble with the NCAA rules."

"Bruce Weber was not as enthusiastic when talking about his team's prospects, but he did say he expected Illinois to be right behind the top 3 teams that everyone is picking for the top of the Big Ten (Ohio State, Michigan State, and Indiana). He also admitted they have a lot of work to do to define new players' roles, and he expected Dimitri McCamey to play a big role this year. Bill Cole is recovering nicely from a dislocated shoulder, and it sounds like he will be 100% by the start of the season, and there is no plan for a redshirt. And Mike Tisdale is very skilled, but way too skinny. They have him on a 6000 calorie diet, but he hasn't gained any weight yet."

Last edited:
Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
I like to think Weber were classy enough not say that kind of thing about Gordon. He's the coach and should stay about the fray, leave that type of commenting to us. We'll get Sampson and Gordon with our cell phone. He probably also should throw gas on the fire, Gordon will be playing us for at least one year and I don't know if Chester or DMac can guard him.

http://209.62.39.18/~bradleyf/vb/showthread.php?t=5280
"Bruce Weber commented that this is the 1 year anniversary of the cell phone call he received from E.J. Gordon to inform him that Eric Gordon was decommitting from Illinois and going to Indiana. He then said, "and E.J. can kiss my a$$".
Ouch. I hope a cell phone video of that doesn't suddenly appear and make the internet rounds. Stay classy Bruce.

North Carolina
I like to think Weber were classy enough not say that kind of thing about Gordon. He's the coach and should stay about the fray, leave that type of commenting to us. We'll get Sampson and Gordon with our cell phone. He probably also should throw gas on the fire, Gordon will be playing us for at least one year and I don't know if Chester or DMac can guard him.
Agree completely. Of course, we don't have a transcript of what he said. I don't think you can ever go wrong by being gracious.

North Carolina
Hey--found another good observation from the Smoker on the Bradley Board.

"I love how the sportswriters agreed with the coaches about the Internet and Message Boards being evil."

Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
We should have an Illinoisloyalty.com game/event. I propose February 2, 2008 at home against Indianasucks. Dan, ever done this before???

By the way, could Alexander guard Gordon or would he get burned?

So Cole is NOT redshirting? Does that mean Tisdale IS? And/or Mike Davis?

This and the Weber EJ comment make me think this report on the Bradley board is inaccurate. Why wouldn't Cole graduate? And published reports have said Tisdale has gained 15 or 20 pounds.

Someone else reported that the actual quote was "THEY can kiss my !!!", meaning IU, and not EJ specifically.

Regardless, I'd prefer that Weber stay above this sort of thing. Although remembering how I felt at this time last year I have no disagreement with the sentiment.

Agree wholeheartedly about the comment attributed to Weber. If he said that, while the sentiment is understandable, it's not the sort of thing that should be voiced in any public setting. It sounds like a bit of gloating, too, and that's equally ungracious, and, I think, uncharacteristic of Weber.

That sort of thing should be reserved for evil blog posters to say.

Something tells me, that's not the exact words said. Either way, it's funny and what EVERYBODY is thinking anyway.

We should have an Illinoisloyalty.com game/event. I propose February 2, 2008 at home against Indianasucks. Dan, ever done this before???

By the way, could Alexander guard Gordon or would he get burned?
IDKTI will get his, but apart from anyone else on our squad:

Tisdale will stuff him.
CJ will (nevermind ;) ).

(here's to CJ!)

GO ILLINI ! !

Elsewhere, NE IL
http://209.62.39.18/~bradleyf/vb/showthread.php?t=5280 (Comments by a Bradley fan who was at the event yesterday)

In addition to discussing the team, Weber made the following comment:

"Bruce Weber commented that this is the 1 year anniversary of the cell phone call he received from E.J. Gordon to inform him that Eric Gordon was decommitting from Illinois and going to Indiana. He then said, "and E.J. can kiss my a$$". The crowd loved it. . . .Weber also admitted that this was a very good day for him, since Illinois received the 2 verbal commitments. However, he would not talk about them, or name any names, to avoid getting into trouble with the NCAA rules."

"Bruce Weber was not as enthusiastic when talking about his team's prospects, but he did say he expected Illinois to be right behind the top 3 teams that everyone is picking for the top of the Big Ten (Ohio State, Michigan State, and Indiana). He also admitted they have a lot of work to do to define new players' roles, and he expected Dimitri McCamey to play a big role this year. Bill Cole is recovering nicely from a dislocated shoulder, and it sounds like he will be 100% by the start of the season, and there is no plan for a redshirt. And Mike Tisdale is very skilled, but way too skinny. They have him on a 6000 calorie diet, but he hasn't gained any weight yet."
This looks like a hoax.

Bleedin' Orange since '69
After attending Madness tonight I'm not so sure. Bruce made some comments after the scrimmage about losing a couple of games at the Assembly Hall last year and "That's not going to happen this year". Then he mentioned the home game against Indiana and something about kicking their butts but he cut off when a player or assistant coach rushed over to him in an attempt to grab the mic. I didn't get to see clearly who that person was but I was suprised Bruce said it. I guess the Gordon fiasco bothered him as much as the rest of us and he has had it bottled up inside for a year now. He's human and must be feeling 10' tall after the last couple of days, that's the only reason I can think of for saying it. It will probably make the papers tomorrow.

Albion, IL
I bet he said it... did you not hear one of weber's post game interviews last year where he said (in regards to Brian Randall not dunking on one of his drives) "I told him at the timeout to DUNK THE MOTHER" Of course he didn't finish but it was very evident what he said in the huddle I was shocked but loved it..

Weber said something at the end of IM in reference to Indiana and that they would come here and we would kick their A$$... got the fans pumped up..

It will be a motivator, so what if it pumps up gordon he is gone after this year anyway...

I'm ok with him saying it since he rarely if ever says these types of things, and I think he has ample reason to speak his mind.

As far as guarding EJ, forget it. He was NBA caliber as a junior in HS and will have to work his way out of the lottery. He will be exciting to watch for Indiana fans, and will easily average double digit ppg right out of the gate.

Given that we might be weakest at the 2 guard position, expecting us to guard EJ is a very tall order. It's just sad irony that by decommitting, he almost guaranteed a good game against us. Hopefully I'm wrong and we do, but I'm not betting on it.

Yes, the discussion started late last week.

Those kind of statements disappoint me because they tarnish his class and that of the program. They are understandable sentiments, but I'd prefer he keep them to himself and let the results do the talking. I recall the "dunk the mother" statement from last year. I remember at the time thinking that if I were the parent of a player, I wouldn't be impressed.

Personal preferences differ widely on this sort of topic. I want the coach to set an exemplary standard and lead by example. If he wanted to say something about the Gordon situation, I'd rather he get his point across more appropriately. He could say something like this: "I wish Eric Gordon well, but we have moved on and aren't looking back. The results of recent days show how attractive the University of Illinois remains to outstanding student athletes and their families. We couldn't be more pleased with where we are now and what the future holds."

UI Fan in QC Land
I sometimes wish BW would select his words more carefully, but I have read on the IB the comments made by PMan and they are not what they seem. Here is his post: (I would link it but it was locked because of the typical bickering)

"I was there and have a few comments. Firstly, the context of the event. This was the 12th year of the Independent Sportsmen's Club smoker. I have been to ten of them. The featured speakers are the Bradley coach as well as the UI coach. Kruger, Self and Weber have all attended.

They are raucous affairs, marked by excessive drinking and smoking of cigars. The rules are, what is said there, stays there. There are media members there--both radio and newspaper. They don't report what is said there. Kruger, Self and Weber as well as Molinari and Les have all said things there that would be embarrassing if reported outside that room. I am a member of the ISC and I am not about to break that code, other than to say that the Bradley student's post had a host of inaccuracies including the Weber quote. By the way, Weber was not drinking.

You want to go--try getting a ticket. $50 for free beer, a light buffet and a cigar. It may be the hottest ticket in town.

I will add that a person that speaks his mind as honestly as Weber sometimes says things that get him in trouble with some people. No different then an irreverent comedian or disk jockey. That is part of the deal. Even a Merryman like me has cringed before at some of Weber's honest remarks. When I find the perfect coach that keeps everybody happy, I will report back to you.

As a sidenote, the ISC gives tens of thousands of dollars annually to youth sports leagues in the Peoria area. The UI and Bradley coaches come at no charge and speak and answer questions from the media folks as well as the audience. Jerrance Howard was there also."