Bonnaroo Land
Freshman kicker trying to win it at Mich.........No pressure....Only 50 yards

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Dang he had the distance....OT

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm a bit worried Jeff Monken might be getting too big for us

Is his thing the triple option though? Or does he do that simply because of personnel at Army?

If it’s the former, that would probably scare away some suitors.

Final score in Bloomington, IN: Indiana 52 EIU 0

Largest margin of victory for IU in the history of the other Memorial Stadium in Bloomington. 2nd lowest total offensive yards in a game for EIU.

EIU falls to 0-2 overall. Panthers return next to action next Saturday in the 108th edition of the Mid-America Classic as EIU will host ISU in the Panthers' home opener. Kick-off is set for 2PM.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Is his thing the triple option though? Or does he do that simply because of personnel at Army?

If it’s the former, that would probably scare away some suitors.

He is a protege of Paul Johnson, this is the system he runs, and you're probably right that it will scare off some foolish teams.

But the reason why is this silly notion that it's a system implemented "because of personnel". Monken has wildly succeeded with this system as an assistant playing with and against major conference athletes at Georgia Tech (where they won the ACC in year 2), as a head coach in FCS (including a win over Florida), and now at a previously moribund service academy.

The idea that running triple option is some little guy gimmick is totally irrational.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
He is a protege of Paul Johnson, this is the system he runs, and you're probably right that it will scare off some foolish teams.

But the reason why is this silly notion that it's a system implemented "because of personnel". Monken has wildly succeeded with this system as an assistant playing with and against major conference athletes at Georgia Tech (where they won the ACC in year 2), as a head coach in FCS (including a win over Florida), and now at a previously moribund service academy.

The idea that running triple option is some little guy gimmick is totally irrational.

I don’t think it’s COMPLETELY foolish though, depending on the schools recruited athletes and why exactly they have a coaching vacancy.

The triple option does still take SOME personnel change so if a school is replacing a successful coach who has retired or moved on to bigger things, it would behoove them to keep a similar system and not stop an already rolling train.

But if it’s a firing vacancy, and the school is willing to give at least 2 years for Monken to show out, yes I agree they would be foolish not to go after him.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
if a school is replacing a successful coach who has retired or moved on to bigger things, it would behoove them to keep that train rolling.

That's a fair point. Personnel-wise it does require a team to find an electric triggerman like Isaiah Williams to play QB, and that can be tough ;)

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
That's a fair point. Personnel-wise it does require a team to find an electric triggerman like Isaiah Williams to play QB, and that can be tough ;)

If IW can become a decent passer, he would kill in a triple option offense. (Depending on how durable he is I guess)

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If IW can become a decent passer, he would kill in a triple option offense. (Depending on how durable he is I guess)

No that's the thing, he doesn't NEED to become a decent passer in the traditional D1 football sense. What he needs is to be is a great decision maker with the ball.

I was at the Michigan game. If we adopted army’s scheme, I would probably stop watching football. By far the most boring game I’ve ever sat through.

I was at the Michigan game. If we adopted army’s scheme, I would probably stop watching football. By far the most boring game I’ve ever sat through.

It is probably my favorite football offense in the entire world.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
It is probably my favorite football offense in the entire world.

I am an Air Force grad and while Troy Calhoun has installed a few more wrinkles in the passing game than Army/Navy, the triple option is our base offense.

It is surprising just how effective it can be against traditional schools.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
No that's the thing, he doesn't NEED to become a decent passer in the traditional D1 football sense. What he needs is to be is a great decision maker with the ball.

The problem with the triple option is staying ahead of the chains. A holding penalty (shoot a false start penalty) is a drive killer since it negates your possible 3-7 yard gain,

The reason our service academies often come close but just can’t quite top these power five schools is because during crunch time (or a crunch down like 3rd and 11) you still need a serviceable passer.

IW might be a great decision maker but if he can’t hit his target on 3rd and 9 and a drive stalls, you go nowhere.

Take for example the Army drive coming out of the half or just before, it’s 2nd and goal from the 1 and Army is up 14-7. A false start kills them and makes it 2nd and 6. The 2nd down play gets only one yard. Then the QB throws a back breaking pick on third down because his pocket collapsed and he didn’t have the strength/accuracy to hit his receiver on the run or didn’t think to throw it out of the end zone. UM marches down the field to tie it and that’s where it stay until OT.

A serviceable QB either hits his receiver or gets rid of the ball and preserves the FG chance. THAT’S what I mean by IW needing to be a decent passer.

I watched this type of football for 15+ years and cringe when we (AF) get into obvious passing situations.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Rutgers is giving Iowa a game. 7-0 Iowa in 2nd

I'm going to toot my own horn here as Iowa shut out Rutgers 42 - 0.
Unless all of you knew this about Rutgers all ready.

On another note, it does appear as if Locksley has something going on at Maryland this year.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Rutgers crushed Umass last week and Umass got smacked around by Southern Illinois this week so Rutgers win wasn’t impressive and informs Iowa’s win against them.