Week 5 Games

PU lost starting qb and Moore - that's a huge part of their game (captain obvious statement of course).

Honestly after watching games today I think Minny, Purdue, NU and of course Rutgers are all potentials if we can play 1/2 way decent.

I think Purdue and Rutgers are hopefuls. I think Minnie and NW are prayers. Our passing defense is not good and we are too thin - late in the game it shows.

Maybe because Lovie has about two blitzes he uses? Wisconsin has safety blitzes that were timed perfectly and led to chaos in the backfield. When Lovie blitzes (hardly ever), it’s predictable what it will look like.

If there's one word to describe our defense I think it should be "predictable."

I think we need to hang our hats on our O.

D is too much of an unknown to even talk about it. Granted injuries, etc are a contributing factor.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I like the decision, not the play call

I don't like the decision at all. 1:15 left and Clemson has two timeouts? That's not an endgame, decide-it-in-one-play scenario. You get the 2? Great, Clemson has plenty of time to go down and kick a field goal to beat you.

Whereas you kick the extra point, one bad play and Clemson's content with OT, and there's a pretty good chance you get another opportunity to decide it with one play.

Deleted member 631370

D
Nebraska getting handled early. This one could get ugly.

Just never bought the Nebraska hype coming into this season. They can harken back to the Blackshirt days all they want, but they don't play defense.

Nebraska getting handled early. This one could get ugly.

Just never bought the Nebraska hype coming into this season. They can harken back to the Blackshirt days all they want, but they don't play defense.
They barely beat us so no surprise Ohio State is on the verge of blowing them out. The Illini are not far from competing again.

I don't like the decision at all. 1:15 left and Clemson has two timeouts? That's not an endgame, decide-it-in-one-play scenario. You get the 2? Great, Clemson has plenty of time to go down and kick a field goal to beat you.

Whereas you kick the extra point, one bad play and Clemson's content with OT, and there's a pretty good chance you get another opportunity to decide it with one play.

The bolded could happen after either a 2 point conversion or the extra point. Though I will concede that they are probably less likely to go for a FG if it's tied.

I'm a firm believer in that if you give the more talented team enough time they will win. I liked the decision to go for it because UNC was having success with running the ball straight ahead on that last drive. And their RB was looking strong. I would have gone straight hand-off off tackle, but to go away from that for the triple option of all things (;)) just didn't make sense to me.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Checking in on the two teams we've beaten, Akron lost to UMass, previously the single worst team in the country by all the advanced stats. They might very well take over that position, and are staring down 0-12 at this point.

UConn are down 42-0 at halftime against UCF, having allowed 369 yards of total offense.

And then of course Nebraska is getting shut out and humiliated at home against OSU. Eastern Michigan has a bye.

tOSU up 38 and spikes the ball with 2 seconds left to get another play off before the half. Foot on the pedal. Contrast to us last week before the half.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
Checking in on the two teams we've beaten, Akron lost to UMass, previously the single worst team in the country by all the advanced stats. They might very well take over that position, and are staring down 0-12 at this point.

UConn are down 42-0 at halftime against UCF, having allowed 369 yards of total offense.

And then of course Nebraska is getting shut out and humiliated at home against OSU. Eastern Michigan has a bye.

We are as bad as we thought we were.

illini80

Forgottonia
We knew Nebraska wasn’t that good, but holy cow. Can you imagine if we played OSU this year? We got zero pressure on Nebby last week and Ohio State is in the backfield every single play.

Deleted member 29907

D
I think Purdue and Rutgers are hopefuls. I think Minnie and NW are prayers. Our passing defense is not good and we are too thin - late in the game it shows.
My logic for thinking we can beat Minnie is pretty simple, I just really hate their coach and I have to believe something can save this season - ergo - we win. It's the classic good over evil (or slimy) theme.

Deleted member 649710

D
Our defense this season is just as terrible as last season, which IIRC was statistically the worst defense in Illini history by several measures. My theory is that the scheme is poor, the coaches cannot teach, the players have slightly below average ability (which DOES give some hope for the future), but they execute terribly. Prove me wrong.