Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois

Riverton, Illinois
Lunt will be a stud here. I'm glad he picked Illinois. If we could get more in-state talent, we can really make something of this program.

I think Lunt is enough to influence Malik Turner to commit as well as flip the #4 tight end Daniel Helm who is a Tennessee commit at the moment.

Helm is also a local recruit we missed out on.

Agreed. If Lunt didn't really want to come here, then he would have reopened his recruiting process.
Yeah I find it funny that a couple people are acting like Lunt chose us because it was the lazy option. After transferring once, the kid isn't going to just transfer somewhere his heart doesn't really wanna be.

Yeah I find it funny that a couple people are acting like Lunt chose us because it was the lazy option. After transferring once, the kid isn't going to just transfer somewhere his heart doesn't really wanna be.
+1

I cannot see how anyone can be anything less than enthusiastic about getting Lunt. The kid is a baller. He's may not be the next Joe Montana but he adds a very viable player at the most important position on the field. Color me enthused.

I agree he chose Illinois because he wanted to play for Illinois. He knew other options were openning up and many other schools would have recruited him just as hard as Illinois. He has shown nothing but enthusiasm for Illinois and handled the whole process well for a teenager.

Was lucky enough to watch Lunt play in High School several times and he was just amazing. The real deal type QB that we have not had for sometime. Would not hurt to have him help open the pipeline to Springfield/Rochester area too for players. Enjoy Illinois football this year and look forward to next at the same time. Been years since we said that.

Was lucky enough to watch Lunt play in High School several times and he was just amazing. The real deal type QB that we have not had for sometime. Would not hurt to have him help open the pipeline to Springfield/Rochester area too for players. Enjoy Illinois football this year and look forward to next at the same time. Been years since we said that.
Amen. :thumb:

I was lucky enough to play against Wes when we were both seniors in high school during the playoffs. The kid just had a sense of command on the field. The team revolved around Wes. Not many kids are as talented as him. Adding Wes is a great start to get better recruiting classes here at Illinois.

His take on the whole thing makes sense, but I don't get how he can be surprised about how Gundy handles anything(FAT! I'M A MAN! Comes to mind).

I don't think Lunt had trouble with being the starting QB on a top 25 team at the time. I think it was the whole "I don't like this school as much as I thought" and losing his starting job to injury(which would frustrate/disappoint anyone who is even a little competitive).

I wonder what the Louisville boards are saying? Not sure which one to look at. Has anyone gotten their reaction?

I wonder what the Louisville boards are saying? Not sure which one to look at. Has anyone gotten their reaction?
Maybe it has changed in recent years, but every L'Ville fan I've known is the type that wouldn't even know who Wes Lunt was and would just ask when basketball season started.

I dont think the louisville fanbase was near as enamoured with lunt as our fanbase is. Like the poster before me said, they seem to wish him well but don't seem too upset that he got away.

This is probably because they are already very well set at the QB position for the next 3-4 years and because their fans are not as familiar with lunt as he played his HS ball in central illinois.

Pretty good article by Jeremy Werner over on Rivals with Lunt

Illinois Rivals Article on Lunt Transfer

Lunt also hopes to attract more talent to the Illini.

"I just want to just recruit the best players, starting in state and working out," Lunt said. "I know there's a few people around the area that we're looking at. If they ask me to make a phone call, I'd be more than happy to just to push Illinois. We're moving in the right direction. I'm excited to get in-state talent and move outward."

But Lunt doesn't openly accept the title of "savior."