What's in a name?

riffraff

Peoria
Just curious, and for fun, what's in the names we choose? Why did you choose the user name you have when joining Illinois Loyalty? Inquiring minds want to know.

riffraff

Peoria
I guess I should start...

My name is riffraff...because that was my nickname in college at U of I. Not sure whether it was Riff Raff from the Underdog cartoon, Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, or that line from Pink Floyd "who let all this riff raff into the room?". OK, probably the RHPS.

Last edited:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Mine is simply a nickname I heard a few times for "Urbana-Champaign". Thought it was kind of funny.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Mine is the initial of my first name and my nickname based on my surname.

Shief

Champaign Area
Old college nickname, a mashup of my last name and Chief

Inspired by JTs commitment. Might be uninspired by JTs lack of commitment shortly.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
When my buddies and I were in late grade school, early high school, we would go to Sam Goody (shoutout to Sam Goody!) and dig through their bargain bin of CDs. This would have been late 90's. We would basically just buy all the $5 Rap CDs with crazy album artwork. This is how we learned about groups like Hi-Town DJ's, Dirty Dawg and Quad City DJs. It also likely contributed to our love of labels such as No Limit and Cash Money.

Long story short, there was a random rap album I bought by a group called Anotha Level. One of their rappers, Adolescent B Essent, performed an interlude where he is talking on the phone with his Boo, and she is giving him the business. He ends the interlude by saying "Seeeeeerious Late!" and hangs up the phone on her. My online moniker for every Fantasy Team and message board screen name since has been "Serious Late".

riffraff

Peoria
When my buddies and I were in late grade school, early high school, we would go to Sam Goody (shoutout to Sam Goody!) and dig through their bargain bin of CDs. This would have been late 90's. We would basically just buy all the $5 Rap CDs with crazy album artwork. This is how we learned about groups like Hi-Town DJ's, Dirty Dawg and Quad City DJs. It also likely contributed to our love of labels such as No Limit and Cash Money.

Long story short, there was a random rap album I bought by a group called Anotha Level. One of their rappers, Adolescent B Essent, performed an interlude where he is talking on the phone with his Boo, and she is giving him the business. He ends the interlude by saying "Seeeeeerious Late!" and hangs up the phone on her. My online moniker for every Fantasy Team and message board screen name since has been "Serious Late".

Nice!

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Pretty straight forward. I dressed up as a cow in Orange Krush for 3 years.

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
Mix of undergrad and grad school

Edit: 500!!!! Dang it, was saving it for the beer thread.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Why Illiini

I got lucky and have it as my license plate number. I actually got pulled over by the Pennsylvania State Police to check my registration.