Wisconsin 45, Illinois 7 Postgame

Illinivek23

Gurnee
for my fan (not trying to be negative) it a couple of teams just to cheer for
IU
NW
Rutgers
and Miami U ( with future Head coach Chuck Martin).
Chuck Martin has done a great job turning that program around. Lots of success in his HC career thus far.

Sawicky

Chicago, IL
Where was Luke Ford last night? Also Beason didn't do much and Cooper was ok. Barnes looked great

Ryllini

Lombard
That performance was maddening and left a hole in my heart. Parents of the players were tweeting out. Mr Ford mentioned about people telling him that "Luke needs to enter the portal and that he will have a sit down with his son". Reggie Corbin was saying that "wisconsin knew the Illini signals based on blitzes play action and run plays".
When was the last time we had competency across the board with the staff? I'm fine being undermanned, but we rarely look like we are a prepared football team in all facets and that had been the case for the past 25 years

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
The Illini wins against OSU did cross my mind when I was posting. I decided while it was sweet indeed, that limited success does not make for a great season by itself.
As you noted earlier, we take what we can get where "modern" Illini football is concerned. (And I'm fully aware that to an undergrad reading this, it seems daft to refer to the '80s as "modern!")

I also recall the 1985 win v. OSU in Champaign (we were unranked and OSU was #5 in the nation) in which Chris White nailed a FG in the waning seconds to pull out a 31-28 win. I was a sophomore and several OSU students I'd worked with the preceding summer in Columbus came out for the game and crashed in my room in Snyder Hall that overlooked Memorial Stadium. They turned out to be fairly inconsiderate and my roommate (who was a night clerk and so didn't get back to the room until early Saturday morning) was pi$$ed off. I had to work that afternoon and came back to my room as the game was ending. I turned on the radio to listen to the game and the Illini were setting up for the FG. It was a warm, beautiful afternoon as I recall. Back then we always seemed to play them in early October. The windows in my room were open and I turned off the radio and closed my eyes; couldn't bear to listen. It was very quiet and then a huge roar erupted from the stadium. Next best thing to being there! Will never forget that roar. Or the sullen disposition of my rude overnight guests a half-hour later as they packed up to leave, wondering why they'd driven 300 miles to watch their team lose!

I had the good luck to be present for three of the six football wins in Columbus from 1988-2001. It was pretty sweet and I still remember each game fondly. Don't deny an old man his fond memories ;). Am hoping that we all have many of those to look forward to in several years.

Last edited:
I see your point, but I think the difference is that the Alabama/Clemson/OSU “system” will always be recruit 4/5 stars, have (some of) them wait and learn and grow and then unleash them to make plays in years 2,3, (and maybe) 4.

I think Robert is looking to programs we can aspire to be. We will never be never have a system like those schools. Ever.

I disagree that Wisconsin had studs all over the field. But you know what you’re getting with them. I don’t know their recruiting ranking, but they have been able to build a machine that doesn’t depend on large classes of 4/5 star recruits.

that’s where we need to be. Wisconsin/Iowa aren’t in a situation with a Brandon Peters and a Deuce Spann and williams as QBs. There is a system. It feels like we’re in chaos.
We need to start Williams and get him valuable experience now! Peter's looked horrible and good the ball too long! He made some nice runs but he was really off! I think it may be time to look towards the future and use the talent you got! Matt Robinson even seems like he could do better to be honest! Give those two more reps and experience!

Missouri has a new young coach, and they have already upset LSU and Kentucky. We need young coaches that can relate to recruits and new offensive and defensive schemes. We are outcoached in every game and our defense is outdated. After 5 years we are showing no improvement. I told the University to keep my season ticket money for next year, but unless I see some change I will be asking for a refund, and cancel my 17 years of season tickets. Enough is enough.

Where was Luke Ford last night? Also Beason didn't do much and Cooper was ok. Barnes looked great
“Everyone texting me this tonight, ‘It’s time to consider the portal (because) you have three (years) left (especially because) they promised to use (tight ends) and only one pass bounced off ground into a double coverage,’” Tim Ford tweeted, referencing his son’s lone target. “Does make me think a father son sit down coming. Offense was atrocious.”

The more I think about this game I feel like the outcome should be less surprising. Our offense was a streak run game and streaky production from Peters to Bhebe with some really sparingly targetted other players. We aren't surprising anyone with the Peters to Bhebe connection this year.

It's on the staff as much as it is on Peters. This team looks strategically predictable on every down.

As you noted earlier, we take what we can get where "modern" Illini football is concerned. (And I'm fully aware that to an undergrad reading this, it seems daft to refer to the '80s as "modern!")

I also recall the 1985 win v. OSU in Champaign (we were unranked and OSU was #5 in the nation) in which Chris White nailed a FG in the waning seconds to pull out a 31-28 win. I was a sophomore and several OSU students I'd worked with the preceding summer in Columbus came out for the game and crashed in my room in Snyder Hall that overlooked Memorial Stadium. They turned out to be fairly inconsiderate and my roommate (who was a night clerk and so didn't get back to the room until early Saturday morning) was pi$$ed off. I had to work that afternoon and came back to my room as the game was ending. I turned on the radio to listen to the game and the Illini were setting up for the FG. It was a warm, beautiful afternoon as I recall. Back then we always seemed to play them in early October. The windows in my room were open and I turned off the radio and closed my eyes; couldn't bear to listen. It was very quiet and then a huge roar erupted from the stadium. Next best thing to being there! Will never forget that roar. Or the sullen disposition of my rude overnight guests a half-hour later as they packed up to leave, wondering why they'd driven 300 miles to watch their team lose!

I had the good luck to be present for three of the six football wins in Columbus from 1988-2001. It was pretty sweet and I still remember each game fondly. Don't deny an old man his fond memories ;). Am hoping that we all have many of those to look forward to in several years.

Kid, you're not all that old to me. :ROFLMAO:
I was watching the 85 game on tv. (Back then one of the local stations in Rockford carried all the football and basketball games.) I was plenty nervous about the game. My wife and I were stunned they pulled it off.

Deleted member 29907

D
Tested psotive Sunday. Could theoretically have exposed Illinois players Friday depending on when his symptoms started. Also another teammate could have given it to him, increasing the likelihood of an Illinois player exposure.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...ositive-coronavirus?__twitter_impression=true
Dude was obviously already on steroids Friday..... ;)

I was holding my breath (silly me) for a the few weeks before the game given all the COVID-19 in Wisconsin thinking I am not sure this game will be played.

Given our inability to get to the QB -we're probably in pretty good shape.

So the odds that they knew he was exposed before the game and delayed the test to Sunday so that they didn’t have to start their 3rd string qb?

So the odds that they knew he was exposed before the game and delayed the test to Sunday so that they didn’t have to start their 3rd string qb?

Regardless of whether they started their first, second or fourteenth string qb our offense is still terrible and the defense doesn't look much better.

If positive he's out for 21 days....missing their games with Nebraska, PU, and Michigan.

Regardless of whether they started their first, second or fourteenth string qb our offense is still terrible and the defense doesn't look much better.

I’m less worried about the fact they thumped us and more worried about our players getting sick.

I know some of the commenters were being pithy with their “we social distanced from him, lol” type comments, but Illinois sacked him twice, tackled him three more times on scrambles, and certainly came in close proximity to him multiple more times.

I’m less worried about the fact they thumped us and more worried about our players getting sick.

I know some of the commenters were being pithy with their “we social distanced from him, lol” type comments, but Illinois sacked him twice, tackled him three more times on scrambles, and certainly came in close proximity to him multiple more times.
Not to mention he was in close contact with the rest of his teammates., who were in turn close to the rest of our team.