Wisconsin 68, Illinois 49 POSTGAME

Admin

:illinois:

Last edited:
Chicago
The fightin' Sconnies just don't miss.

I really envy how fundamentally sound all of them are, and they just don't take poor shots. You can see how well they do keeping kids in the program for multiple years and they develop that sense of team.

Just amazing at the little things like cutting, getting tip outs, taking advantage of mismatches.

They are a hell of team. I don't even think we played terribly, but we needed to play at our absolute best and we had plenty of off games.

Evansville, IN
This one wasn't a win. There are more games to play.

Go Illini!

New York
No shame losing to Wisconsin at their place. Slightly better than our effort in past years. Not good enough though. They are an elite offensive team- probably too much to expect us to shut them down and holding them sub 70 is fine. Bothered by two things- 1- defensive rebounding and 2- our inability to score.

Re defensive rebounding, our problems were part that black couldn't d them up and therefore had to sit, and also that we were so out of sorts trying to guard them that it opened up the boards. Black will get better.

2- re our offense- They are not elite defensively. IMO our offense got affected by our defense. A- very few fast break opportunities against them and few ft attempts b - it seemed like we knew were in a hole and never got settled in on offense aside from our nice stretch in the first half. Losing confidence on defense I believe affected our offense

Los Angeles
Pick yourselves up and dust off. Hard to believe anybody beat that team.

Bad officiating, some good things from colbert, and it appears Rice is getting back to his old self which we will need. Wish we would have figured the defensive switching out quicker because it could've made this interesting for longer.

Ultimately it's one game and all will be fine going forward.

Phoenix, AZ
Wisconsin played great. Now the team gets practice for a week. Keep grinding.

Lombard

I really envy how fundamentally sound all of them are, and they just don't take poor shots. You can see how well they do keeping kids in the program for multiple years and they develop that sense of team.

Just amazing at the little things like cutting, getting tip outs, taking advantage of mismatches.

They are a hell of team. I don't even think we played terribly, but we needed to play at our absolute best and we had plenty of off games.

Yea, they are good. I thought we played well and hard, but we didn't do the little things and gave them help when they certainly don't need it. It makes it tough when Ken laid an egg an Rice is no threat from farther than 8ft out. We will get em next time.

They are simply better. They are a serious national contender. I believe Illinois is a tournament team but they are not at Wisconsin's level.

New York
Wisconsin played great. Now the team gets practice for a week. Keep grinding.

Very happy we get a break here to collect ourselves, work out some kinks, integrate ray and get some rest. Just came through a very tough stretch. Can't think of anything much harder in the regular season than playing thurs night and going up to Wisconsin on noon Sunday.

Bad officiating, some good things from colbert, and it appears Rice is getting back to his old self which we will need. Wish we would have figured the defensive switching out quicker because it could've made this interesting for longer.

Ultimately it's one game and all will be fine going forward.

Way too much complaining about the officiating. How about Illinois playing a lineup shorter by 2-3 inches per man? How about a defense that could not stop a good passing team? How about a team not blocking out on rebounding? How about a team not running their offense and settling for poor shots?

Quit complaining about the refs because they were not the reason this team lost by 19

Pick yourselves up and dust off. Hard to believe anybody beat that team.
I think they may have the highest BBIQ around...just a smart and sound team with chemistry.

...hard to believe rutgers beat them. I still believe our switching D put us in a hole we couldn't dig out of...

4 assists. School record for fewest is 3 against NW in 1999. You can't win anything with 4 assists.

Agree 100%. I think there is a focus on recruiting kids with 5 star fundamentals and intangibles - not necessarily 5 star athletes. He looks for kids that match his style and knows exactly what kind of kids will fit his system.

Maricopa, AZ
Not sure why Groce went small most of the game when we were getting destroyed on the boards. Colbert and Black should have played more.

Chicago, IL
Never picked this one as a win anyway, next 5 games are huge for us, win out at home and get one away victory and things will be looking very very good. Minimum need 3 wins however.

Lombard
Not sure why Groce went small most of the game when we were getting destroyed on the boards. Colbert and Black should have played more.

I love Black, but he was lost today. He is going to be a good one and there is a ton for him to gain from this one.

Fairfield, IL
I believe Malcolm Hill had a great offensive game today. He was efficient from the field. I thought Egwu had a solid game as well.

I still can't believe Tate made that prayer shot. That needs to be on some sort of Illini mixtape after the season concludes of favorite/best shots of the season.

I agree - they should of had 2 of Egwu, Morgan, Black & Colbert on the floor as much as possible.

Cincinnati, OH
Hat tip to Wisky being the first team to defensively go over every ball screen they faced. Worked exceptionally well (to the point where Illinois should expect to see it until they can be effective against it).

Lombard
Nunn probably won't have another one like that in a while. We need him, Hill and Rice driving the hoop on almost every possession. Drive to hoop for a shot or kick outs going forward and our offense will be that much better.

Wisconsin HS Rankings:

Kaminsky--N/R
Dekker--#14
Hayes--#141
Gasser--#N/R
Koenig--# 93
Dukan--#N/R

Cincinnati, OH
It seems to be becoming more difficult offensively with Tate out there. The scouting report is out and his defender just becomes the help man on perimeter ball screen. Would love to see the offensive efficiency numbers in the last handful of games when he is out there.