Wisconsin 68, Illinois 49 POSTGAME

I believe Malcolm Hill had a great offensive game today. He was efficient from the field. I thought Egwu had a solid game as well.

I still can't believe Tate made that prayer shot. That needs to be on some sort of Illini mixtape after the season concludes of favorite/best shots of the season.
MH offense was much better than michigan....

KN and RR were combined 6 for 22. we need at least 2 hot hands scorers to have a chance against wisky.

The assist stat is telling too...4. Concerned about our offensive chemistry after the last two games....

Wisconsin is a really good team, clearly the best team in the B1G with quite a bit of separation.

As I said before the game, the score/margin was really irrelevant in this game. We are a team fighting for tournament bid and the score/margin of this game has zero effect on what happens next.

The key moving forward is to get more from Black. Egwu and PGs are what they are, that will not change. But Leron has to (and can) give us more.

It seems to be becoming more difficult offensively with Tate out there. The scouting report is out and his defender just becomes the help man on perimeter ball screen. Would love to see the offensive efficiency numbers in the last handful of games when he is out there.

They are playing basically 4 on 5 offensively since Tate is no threat from the outside.

Lombard
It seems to be becoming more difficult offensively with Tate out there. The scouting report is out and his defender just becomes the help man on perimeter ball screen. Would love to see the offensive efficiency numbers in the last handful of games when he is out there.

Well our offensive numbers aren't helped when we are missing bunnies and not securing defensive rebounds to gain extra offensive possessions. Tate is not why we only scored 47 today. He had one horrible entry look today for Egwu, but other than that, we got our shots within the offense with him. Only one time do I remember a forced end of shot clock attempt and that was because of Egwu being loose with it and Kaminski poked it away.

There were a lot of things we might have done better -- better communication and boxing out come to mind -- but I thought we played a typical game for us. Sometimes you just play against a veteran team with three NBA players, and they play well. If Wisconsin guarded like that all the time, they would be undefeated.

Wisconsin has a lot of great players, but boy is Kaminsky a delight to watch. It's incredible to think that he was a virtual unknown in high school. I hope Finke was watching closely.

Kudos to Austin Colbert, who had another nice performance. I hope he lives in the weight room this summer. He finally seems to be figuring out the mental side of things.

Wisconsin is a really good team, clearly the best team in the B1G with quite a bit of separation.

As I said before the game, the score/margin was really irrelevant in this game. We are a team fighting for tournament bid and the score/margin of this game has zero effect on what happens next.

The key moving forward is to get more from Black. Egwu and PGs are what they are, that will not change. But Leron has to (and can) give us more.

For a top 40 recruit, you bet.

Lombard
For a top 40 recruit, you bet.

Learning to be a big in college ball is a huge learning curve, especially against the quality bigs of Wisconsin. Like I said earlier, his mistakes today are easy fixes and this game film will serve him well moving forward.

Wisconsin HS Rankings:

Kaminsky--N/R
Dekker--#14
Hayes--#141
Gasser--#N/R
Koenig--# 93
Dukan--#N/R
Thx TC...all wisky players seem to have great court vision and passing skills...

wisky obviously has an effective scouting process that is looking under the conventional radar

Cincinnati, OH
Well our offensive numbers aren't helped when we are missing bunnies and not securing defensive rebounds to gain extra offensive possessions. Tate is not why we only scored 47 today. He had one horrible entry look today for Egwu, but other than that, we got our shots within the offense with him. Only one time do I remember a forced end of shot clock attempt and that was because of Egwu being loose with it and Kaminski poked it away.

I'm not blaming Tate for the loss, as any loss is generated from multiple venues. In fact, I am excited about Tate's improved shooting after a summer of work. That said, when he is out there the offense becomes squeezed with essentially one defender allowed to freelance at their discretion. This causes the Illinois offense to use that many more passes to gain any advantage. It also causes more 1-on-1 situations in hopes of negating the free Wisconsin defender.

Champaign, IL
Hopefully we don't see Terry Wymer or Gene Steratore ( stick to NFL ) again this season. They are absolutely terrible. Give me Ted Valentine every game.

Christian County, IL
Not surprised at the loss today.

Next Sunday is an important game for our tourney chances.

Lombard
I'm not blaming Tate for the loss, as any loss is generated from multiple venues. In fact, I am excited about Tate's improved shooting after a summer of work. That said, when he is out there the offense becomes squeezed with essentially one defender allowed to freelance at their discretion. This causes the Illinois offense to use that many more passes to gain any advantage. It also causes more 1-on-1 situations in hopes of negating the free Wisconsin defender.

I will say that Tate could move better without the ball, but the offense in my opinion is predicated on ball screens and curls with multiple passs to open up driving lanes to the hoop or kick outs. Yes, it will look one on one a lot, but we are trying to create mis-matches for the best possible match up.

Cincinnati, OH
I will say that Tate could move better without the ball, but the offense in my opinion is predicated on ball screens and curls with multiple passs to open up driving lanes to the hoop or kick outs. Yes, it will look one on one a lot, but we are trying to create mis-matches for the best possible match up.

Completely agree, which highlights the problem of having Tate out there. His defender just hovers close to every ball screen, whether Tate is involve in the screen or not, or sit near the top of the screen to deter any curl action. Again, if/when Tate becomes more threatening on offense, a team loses their help defender.

I may be in the minority, but I see several of positives... WISC is a very good team with lots of upperclassmen and well-coached. Easy to forget that NONE of our guys have played together for more than a single season heading into this year (other than Tate/Nunn in HS)... so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we sometimes struggle to stay in "flow" of the offense. The underclassmen are clearly leading the way, which is promising for the future. Good to see Colbert (who I would have assumed would transfer a month ago) getting some time and showing improvement. Mav still has potential, but the last two games have been tough match-ups for him. Year 2 and 3 of a rebuild is often the most painful, and we are showing some promise... paying the price for sticking with Bruce for those last 2 years. I won't be surprised if we win the last 5 games...

Voice of Reason
Getting pounded on the boards in a game we weren't going to win anyway? I'll take it, because rebounding is going to be HUGE next weekend against Sparty and this will give Groce some more ammo to stress its importance.

1. This game wasn't the rout that the final score might suggest, but it wasn't a nail-biter either -- more of a stomach-upsetter to be honest. We were tied with under 6 minutes to go in the first half, but it was an 8-point halftime lead and it got ugly quickly in the second half with us going down by 13 in just over a minute

2. I haven't seen Kaminsky play that much this season, and I thought he might have been a little overhyped, but he really is quite good. That said, Bo Ryan has to be the best big man coach in the country. Partly it is his system, of course, but time and again he takes moderately talented big guys and makes them into top level players -- Bo knows big men.

3. No one for Illinois played like a world-beater in this one, but Malcolm Hill did put in another good day as a scorer. He is so smooth that you barely notice that he scored about a third of our points until you look at the box score. He wasn't really a match for the Wisky front line though, as his 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers (out of 10 for the team) showed.

4. Nnanna played hard and did some good things on defense as usual, but he didn't have a whole lot of help against the Wisky front line. I hate to say it, but there is a part of me that wonders how good he would have become if he had gone to Wisky to play for Bo. Nnanna was better than Kaminsky in high school, but not now.

5. Nunn battled, but it was clearly not one of his better games. In fairness to Kendrick, in part that was all about our offensive system not being all that effective against the discipline of the Wisky Moan defense -- and it wasn't just Kendrick. Once our threes stopped falling at a good clip, our offense just didn't look that good.

6. Neither of our point guards had a really good game. I know I sound like a broken record, but it was so obvious that Wisky was isolated on Starks as a defender whenever he was in the game. It makes you wonder why other teams can't do that consistently.

7. Ray Rice isn't really back quite yet. That is to be expected when a player is out as long as he was. He fought hard, but he was not terribly effective against the Wisky defense either. He did have some good defensive moments, but again Wisky was very good at exploiting mismatches.

8. On a bright note, I thought Austin Colbert had another nice game. He is slowly but surely looking better and better. Still a long way to go (and much of that in the weight room), but he made some positive contributions today.

9. Forget about Wisky because this one is over. Now it is all about having a full week to get ready for MSU. Hopefully Ray Rice in particular will benefit from the extra practice. That is the game that really matters. I don't want to go into Iowa City at 7-7 on a two-game losing streak. Bear down, boys.

Go Illini!

A good pick n roll big man would help out Tate so much. As much as I love Egwu, he has to be one of the worst at this aspect of the game. I am very interested to see what Paul, Finke, and Black can do in that department next year.

Katy, TX
We lost today because of the 2nd chance pts...You cant give a team of that caliber that many 2nd chance pts and expect to stay close. Over all I thought we played ok. Wisc is really good.

Getting pounded on the boards in a game we weren't going to win anyway? I'll take it, because rebounding is going to be HUGE next weekend against Sparty and this will give Groce some more ammo to stress its importance.

Yeah this is my thought too. I'd much rather be soft and loose with the ball in a game we're going to lose. Get that out of the system now, so we can bring it against MSU.

Deleted member 3875

D
One of the best B1G teams in years. Beat Caltucky!

Would have been interesting if Malcolm had hit that 3 with about 4 minutes to go pulling us within 7. There were a lot of times we were within 10 or 11 but never could get the next stop and big bucket to really put some pressure.

Also thought the refereeing was bad, not that I expected Wisconsin to not get home cooking. So many anticipated calls. It was actually bad both ways today, but i think if we had refs from a different conference today, even though we were getting killed on the boards and Kendrick had an off day, that we were good enough for the final score to be closer than what it was. Who knows how the last few minutes go if we are closer to striking distance.

I'm not making any groundbreaking observations here.

Wisky is a very well coached, fundamentally sound veteran team. To beat them you have to work for good shots and hit more than you miss. Make your bunnies. Hit your free throws. Battle to a standoff on the boards. Get more than your share of the 50-50 balls. And most important, don't lose focus on D and give them easy baskets.

We pretty much failed on all of those. So no surprise we lost.

I do like watching Wisky play. Great passing and great teamwork. Bo and his staff do a great job of finding kids that can excel in their system and then coaching them up. I don't know how good a big man coach they are, but they do a fabulous job of getting isolation in the paint, and making you choose your poison of doubling or giving up a 3 when they find the open guy. Great offensive coaching.

Wisky extends their win streak against us to 8 in a row. Groce is now 0-5 against Bo.