Wisconsin 68, Illinois 49 POSTGAME

Cincinnati, OH
A good pick n roll big man would help out Tate so much. As much as I love Egwu, he has to be one of the worst at this aspect of the game. I am very interested to see what Paul, Finke, and Black can do in that department next year.

Eh, Groce is smart enough to avoid having Tate involved in most ball screen action. The last three games of so Tate has simply been the swing man.

Hopefully we don't see Terry Wymer or Gene Steratore ( stick to NFL ) again this season. They are absolutely terrible. Give me Ted Valentine every game.

eades just kind of disappeared with those 2 on the court eh?

Interestingly, this game was only 49 possessions, which makes it the slowest Illinois basketball game played since at least the 2001-2002 season (the first in Pomeroy's database) and the slowest Wisconsin game since their 36-33 loss to Penn State in the 2011 BTT, which checked in at a mere 44 possessions.

Of course, you wouldn't know it from looking at the final score, given Wisconsin managed nearly 1.4 points per possession. This had a lot to do with their lack of turnovers (only 4) mixed with their offensive rebounding (15 on 29 missed shots), ability to get looks in the paint, and strong shooting from all places on the court.

Interestingly, this game was only 49 possessions, which makes it the slowest Illinois basketball game played since at least the 2001-2002 season (the first in Pomeroy's database) and the slowest Wisconsin game since their 36-33 loss to Penn State in the 2011 BTT, which checked in at a mere 44 possessions.

Of course, you wouldn't know it from looking at the final score, given Wisconsin managed nearly 1.4 points per possession. This had a lot to do with their lack of turnovers (only 4) mixed with their offensive rebounding (15 on 29 missed shots), ability to get looks in the paint, and strong shooting from all places on the court.

It certainly was a slow-paced game, Illest. Bo's teams are so fundamentally sound and disciplined. I just wish he'd loosen the reins a bit and let his teams run a little more, but his grindy style works, obviously. I admire his teams' skill, smarts and teamwork, but as a sophomore coach whose teams pressed halfcourt and 3/4 court some and used our D to generate 15-20 ppg of transition O, it's hard to watch as a fan. It has to be frustrating to play and coach against his teams. It's like a football team facing a Bo Schembechler squad that runs the ball 55 to 60 times a game. You know you have to make hay with the few possessions your offense will get because UM will run the ball methodically down your throat when they have the ball.

MH was our brightest bright spot. Good, efficient offensive game. He was the lone UI player who looked like he belonged on the court with UW today with KN way off and RR far from being back in the groove.

Deleted member 14522

D
I can only hope that Sam Dekker declares for the draft this season. I am so tired of watching Wisconsin dominate. They would lose Jackson, Gasser (who seems like he is 27 years old), and Kaminsky. Today Egwu looked absolutely hopeless when guarding Frank. Good effort by the team but we have to basically play a perfect game to beat this Wisconsin team at their house. I keep thinking about how much I am annoyed by the seniors of Wisconsin, that will be other schools complaining about Hill and Nunn in two seasons. Asking when the heck will those two graduate from Illinois:)

There was a rumor going around that Howard was supposed to go watch him work out but didn't make it or blew it off. And Wisconsin wanted Egwu over Kaminsky, but we got him first.

This is totally silly stuff, the real reason Kaminisky didn't come to UI is he refused to send his transcript to Weber. :)

I can only hope that Sam Dekker declares for the draft this season. I am so tired of watching Wisconsin dominate. They would lose Jackson, Gasser (who seems like he is 27 years old), and Kaminsky. Today Egwu looked absolutely hopeless when guarding Frank. Good effort by the team but we have to basically play a perfect game to beat this Wisconsin team at their house. I keep thinking about how much I am annoyed by the seniors of Wisconsin, that will be other schools complaining about Hill and Nunn in two seasons. Asking when the heck will those two graduate from Illinois:)

Kaminsky is a tough matchup for every center in the country, but yeah, NE didn't look like an all-B1G defender today.

Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Bay Area, CA
Kaminsky is pretty much a beast and hard to stop for anybody. The Wisconsin front line is one of the strongest in the country. We don't have a lineup to go big very easily, so with our guard dominated lineup, we needed to outscore them badly from the guard positions. This did not happen.

Our defensive rebounding has looked weak all season, and against the Wisconsin bigs, this was not a good match up for the Illini either.

On to the next game, pretty much the expected outcome today.

Mountain View, CA, United States
Interesting to note that Kaminsky is from Illinois. I wonder if anyone from BW's staff ever showed any interest?

Also something of note: he has at least one relative who went to Illinois. I was a TA for that relative back in 2008 I believe.

Kaminsky is pretty much a beast and hard to stop for anybody. The Wisconsin front line is one of the strongest in the country. We don't have a lineup to go big very easily, so with our guard dominated lineup, we needed to outscore them badly from the guard positions. This did not happen.

Our defensive rebounding has looked weak all season, and against the Wisconsin bigs, this was not a good match up for the Illini either.

On to the next game, pretty much the expected outcome today.

We are one of the better defensive rebounding teams in the country.

Kirksville, MO
The buzzcuts were quicker to the ball and ended up with too many second chance possessions.

I finally finished the game and caught up on this thread.
Not terribly unhappy with the result, as I gave it little chance anyway.
Felt that the guys battled hard and conceded little, but were outmanned across the board.
And we had no answer for Kaminsky whatsoever.
And I'm done

Wisconsin is a really good team, clearly the best team in the B1G with quite a bit of separation.

As I said before the game, the score/margin was really irrelevant in this game. We are a team fighting for tournament bid and the score/margin of this game has zero effect on what happens next.

The key moving forward is to get more from Black. Egwu and PGs are what they are, that will not change. But Leron has to (and can) give us more.

MSU is a good team for LB to bounce back for; played well against them 1st time.

Logan Square, Chicago
The buzzcuts were quicker to the ball and ended up with too many second chance possessions.

Yeah, Wisconsin won some hustle plays, occasionally by effort, occasionally by luck. But we needed every last break in this game, and we didn't get it.

Oh well, can't feel bad about losing this one. From here until the BTT, though, I expect us to win most and be right in it to the end of all our games.

chitown
They are playing basically 4 on 5 offensively since Tate is no threat from the outside.

The C and PF spot for us gives us nothing offensively most of the time whether its on the block or on the perimeter . Tate can drive to the basket but when your bigs cant shoot or post or handle there are not gonna be many pg's in the college that are gonna be able to go from the three point line to the basket against good teams .

The drive by Rice and the simple lob to Egwu which he blows is pretty much the entire problem with our offense . We need bigs that can defend and finish they dont have to be super skilled but with our wings we need someone who can set a pick and finish plays . The young bigs are coming along but right now above else we live and die with Egwu's strengths and weaknesses . Tate cant cover that no pg can at this point

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
This was an OR heavy game in general. We had a fair number too, over 10 I think.

Looked up the stat - we grabbed 11 of 28 possible O-Rebs, they got 15 of 29.

I believe Malcolm Hill had a great offensive game today. He was efficient from the field. I thought Egwu had a solid game as well.

I still can't believe Tate made that prayer shot. That needs to be on some sort of Illini mixtape after the season concludes of favorite/best shots of the season.

Wow that was gonna be my post.

Theonly thing I was gonna add was that it was good for Rayvonte to get out and run around for 30 minutes. He is gonna get back where he was.

Okay I was also gonna say that iowa lost and that helps us out. Be sweet if we could get a season sweep of michigan state. that should be worth a seed line in the big dance by itself:illinois:

Thankfully we only have them once on the schedule. Did not realize that they got more 1/2 of their offensive rebounds, but I guess we did ok on our offensive end.

Let's hold home court and get to the tourney. Add Colbert's 3 to Tate's prayer on the mix tape! The next Tisdale!;)

GO ILLINI!:chief:

Golden, IL
Kaminsky is such a strange player to watch. Everything he does looks ugly, but he puts the darn ball in the basket.

Kaminsky is such a strange player to watch. Everything he does looks ugly, but he puts the darn ball in the basket.

I disagree. I actually believe that Kaminsky is one of the most fundamentally sound players in college basketball and a pleasure to watch. True combination of solid outside and inside game, great footwork, his pivot and inside move on Egwu in the second half alone was a thing a beauty.