Wisconsin 68, Illinois 49 POSTGAME

Iowa City
I disagree. I actually believe that Kaminsky is one of the most fundamentally sound players in college basketball and a pleasure to watch. True combination of solid outside and inside game, great footwork, his pivot and inside move on Egwu in the second half alone was a thing a beauty.
He is text book on how things should be done. I think people confuse it as "ugly" because it isn't explosive athletic moves. I came into the season thinking he was a really good college player who wouldn't play out well in the NBA. After this game I think he can have a long NBA career.

Chicago
It can be argued that Wisconsin is an even more potent team with Koenig logging the majority of the minutes at the default "1" spot after Jackson's injury. Although he is more a combo guard than a true PG, what makes him more valuable to Bo's system is the fact that he is a much better 3-pt threat than Traevon Jackson, opening up even more driving lanes and room on the perimeter for his teammates.

And just looking at Wisconsin's stats since Jackson's injury, they are taking care of the ball just as well with Koenig as their de-facto setup man as they were with their proverbial "PG" in the lineup (just 4 TOs yesterday), while outscoring their opponents by roughly the same margin as before losing Jackson.

This is just one of the reasons why I believe JCL can absolutely co-exist alongside Nunn and Hill in the backcourt, with Black and Paul up front. In fact, I can envision Groce playing Abrams, JCL, Nunn, Hill and Black/Paul/Finke at times next season (relegating Tate to backup minutes at the 1) just to ensure every position on the floor is a legitimate threat to score from the outside.

Bo's current Badgers are proof positive that you don't need a true PG in your lineup to run a smooth offense, just players who are skilled shooters, share the ball and possess a high basketball IQ.

Of course, you can probably count on one hand the number of coaches with the ability to mold a team like Bo Ryan can.

It can be argued that Wisconsin is an even more potent team with Koenig logging the majority of the minutes at the default "1" spot after Jackson's injury. Although he is more a combo guard than a true PG, what makes him more valuable to Bo's system is the fact that he is a much better 3-pt threat than Traevon Jackson, opening up even more driving lanes and room on the perimeter for his teammates.

And just looking at Wisconsin's stats since Jackson's injury, they are taking care of the ball just as well with Koenig as their de-facto setup man as they were with their proverbial "PG" in the lineup (just 4 TOs yesterday), while outscoring their opponents by roughly the same margin as before losing Jackson.

This is just one of the reasons why I believe JCL can absolutely co-exist alongside Nunn and Hill in the backcourt, with Black and Paul up front. In fact, I can envision Groce playing Abrams, JCL, Nunn, Hill and Black/Paul/Finke at times next season (relegating Tate to backup minutes at the 1) just to ensure every position on the floor is a legitimate threat to score from the outside.

Bo's current Badgers are proof positive that you don't need a true PG in your lineup to run a smooth offense, just players who are skilled shooters, share the ball and possess a high basketball IQ.

Of course, you can probably count on one hand the number of coaches with the ability to mold a team like Bo Ryan can.

Difference is that Koenig was always a PG and played PG in HS and AAU. I had watched him before he committed to Wisconsin and he was very impressive and a true PG who could also shoot. I thought he was very underrated at the time, although his scholarship list was very impressive.

JCL has not really played PG, although I have mentioned many times that IMO it is to his best interest (career-wise) to try and make the transition to PG. Whether he can do it remains to be seen. JCL has a much higher ceiling as far as a shooter, and IMO he will factor into the UI rotation with good minutes from the get go. But I am not sure he can play PG and has not done it so far (contrary to Koenig). Can he do it? I certainly hope so.

Cincinnati, OH
I disagree. I actually believe that Kaminsky is one of the most fundamentally sound players in college basketball and a pleasure to watch. True combination of solid outside and inside game, great footwork, his pivot and inside move on Egwu in the second half alone was a thing a beauty.

+1

Decatur, IL

I agree with you. He actually reminded me a bit of Pau Gasol.

Phoenix, AZ
Some pretty interesting (if depressing) analysis of the game over at a Wisconsin board - they go In depth on PPP for each player, turnovers, fb points, points in paint (they killed us there) Fts, etc. Worth a glance if you don't mind the emotional pain of reliving the game.
http://wisconsin.scout.com/forums/2...3663598-illinois-home-game-observations?s=193

Nice find. Wisconsin played great and we did not. We kept trying to swing but their better play was too much to overcome.

The numbers really show how well coached they are. Hats off to Bo and his program. Man I do not like saying that.