Wisconsin 72, Illinois 60 POSTGAME

I think they're trying to figure out the best way to use them, plus an Alpha element to it, Ayo is hoping to be 1 and done, can't be off guard.

Deleted member 746094

D
BU really needs to get Trent Frazier going. So far pretty much all his conference stats are worse this year than last year. If you add in Kipper, Damonte, and Trent all being the same or worse than last year it really doesn't look good on a coach.

But still a lot of basketball left to be played.

Trent is 7 for 28 from 2pt and 4 for 16 from 3pt the last two games. How is that on BU? When he is open he isn’t hitting them like he was last year. The coaches don’t shoot the ball for the players. Until Trent can go to his right effectively and consistently proves he can beat his guy off the dribble and score at the rim teams will be able to defend him. None of this is on BU.

Kipper has checked out.

DMW is what he is. He plays great D, rebounds at both ends of the floor and hit the one open 3 he had tonight. Even good teams need players like this off the bench. He starts because our freshmen just aren’t ready.

At some point it falls on the players to play to their potential and do so consistently. We will see how we play the rest of the year, but I see a lot of games like this. We will do a lot of things well and we will do just enough other things poorly to lose games by 8-12 points.

I was thinking about our loss and remembered, Kofi is for Closers!

I just don't see the team growth. I see individuals playing better. Can anyone show me or e explain are team growth? Bc this game looks very similar to most of are losses.

I just don't see the team growth. I see individuals playing better. Can anyone show me or e explain are team growth? Bc this game looks very similar to most of are losses.

There hasn't been any. Our highest Ken Pom rating was 74 the second game of the season. Our lowest rating was 113 after Florida Atlantic. We currently sit at 99, so we have been consistently bad throughout season.

There hasn't been any. Our highest Ken Pom rating was 74 the second game of the season. Our lowest rating was 113 after Florida Atlantic. We currently sit at 99, so we have been consistently bad throughout season.
Was just wondering BC I hear that a lot from Underwood but I'm not seeing it. Don't get me wrong I'm pulling for him, I just feel like I'm watching the same team take the court and nothing is getting accomplished with the whole culture change. Again I'm pulling for him and his team.

IMO there has been team growth in the past 4 games. It’s far from enough, but I see it. We’re getting better on defense and this Giorgi inside game is a monumental wrinkle in the offense. Need players who can execute on the perimeter.

Deleted member 626650

D
IMO there has been team growth in the past 4 games. It’s far from enough, but I see it. We’re getting better on defense and this Giorgi inside game is a monumental wrinkle in the offense. Need players who can execute on the perimeter.

Wiscy shot over 50% on 2's and 3's. A game after Iowa shot over 60% on 2's and 70% on 3's. Spare us the narrative that the defense is improving.

Totally agree, the defense masks it’s ineffectiveness by trying to create turnovers. Most teams on any given night can create open shots throught running their halfcourt offense.

Wiscy shot over 50% on 2's and 3's. A game after Iowa shot over 60% on 2's and 70% on 3's. Spare us the narrative that the defense is improving.

I fell asleep before the game and missed it....looking at stats, and a good game on many fronts and Giorgi outplayed Happ, stat wise. Good thing we have Giorgi or it would have been a 30 pt loss. Shooting is a mental/ confidence issue, IMO. If mentally you don't "know" its going in, you will not shoot great. Georgi's growing confidence is a bright spot!

Deleted member 626650

D
Trent is 7 for 28 from 2pt and 4 for 16 from 3pt the last two games. How is that on BU? When he is open he isn’t hitting them like he was last year. The coaches don’t shoot the ball for the players. Until Trent can go to his right effectively and consistently proves he can beat his guy off the dribble and score at the rim teams will be able to defend him. None of this is on BU.

Kipper has checked out.

DMW is what he is. He plays great D, rebounds at both ends of the floor and hit the one open 3 he had tonight. Even good teams need players like this off the bench. He starts because our freshmen just aren’t ready.

At some point it falls on the players to play to their potential and do so consistently. We will see how we play the rest of the year, but I see a lot of games like this. We will do a lot of things well and we will do just enough other things poorly to lose games by 8-12 points.

At some point, it's also on the coach to either a) get his players to play to their potential. b) coach them up above their potential.

With the exception of GB, this isn't happening.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Agree. If we make free throws, it’s down to the wire even with our overall terrible shooting. This team is young, they need experience. They need time.

I’d love to see Tevian Jones step up and take the ball to the rim. Or Kipper needs to do something... anything...

Jordan plays so hard but he’s so overmatched

Add size, add depth, add experience. We will win next year.

fify

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
What is up with Kipper?

I've never seen an upperclassman completely disappear like this. His minutes are actually up three and a half minutes a game from last year. He takes about the same number of shots per game and about the same ratio of 2's to 3's, but his 3pt% has dropped from .378 last year to .224 this year. His ft% has dropped from .862 to .593 (?!?!). His rebounds, steals and blocks are all down on a per/game basis despite the increased minutes. (Stats are from before tonight's game.)

Is he hurt? What?
Three straight scoreless games. Hard to believe anyone can do that, let alone someone we thought would be a source of offense. Hasn't hit double figures since the ETSU game. Not that it matters much any more this season, but hope he gets it figured out.

illini80

Forgottonia
Play the young guys. Griffin,Tevian, and Samba. Time to set the foundation for next year. Win,Lose,or draw. I’m tired of seeing hapless Kipper and ineffective De La Rosa.
I understand the sentiment, but they all played and none played well. And this was a game that was there for the taking the entire time. Tough to throw out a game you should win to get extra minutes for guys who haven’t shown they are ready.

I am so tired of watching other teams knock down threes when then need to - for crying out loud can we not find someone who can deliver in the clutch from the outside consistently?

All the losing has resulted in a mental block when it comes to shooting. Shooting is largely about confidence, and our players don’t expect their shots to go in. I lost count of the times we pump faked on open, in rhythm shots only to drive into traffic and get stripped or blocked or throw the ball away. The losing mentality has set in for these players.

All the losing has resulted in a mental block when it comes to shooting. Shooting is largely about confidence, and our players don’t expect their shots to go in. I lost count of the times we pump faked on open, in rhythm shots only to drive into traffic and get stripped or blocked or throw the ball away. The losing mentality has set in for these players.

Agree with this. And going away from the score in 7 seconds mentality only exposes the lack of basketball skills we have. Outside of Ayo, our ball handling is garbage. Every game I see guys look down to find the ball on every change of direction...sometimes it looks like they are dribbling with their wrists. The fact that Trent still doesn't have a right hand and whenever he drives to the rim he is liable to short arm the ball up there with little chance of it going in is making me wonder what guard development we can expect.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
I thought AGs passing looked much improved, but his shot looks a little funky on the release. Need to get Tev and him comfortable and aggressive before the end of the year. Team shows a lot of fight. After Georgi adds 20 lbs of muscle, look out.