Wisconsin Badgers seniors won't return to spring sports in 2021

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
I feel for these athletes. I really do. But I get having to make tough decisions like this. My field is going through layoffs, furloughs, pay cuts, cancelled internship programs, delayed starts dates for incoming grads about to start their first job. It sounds nice allowing them to return, but I’m sure there are tons of factors that make it a logistical nightmare. This sucks for all of us—unfortunately student-athletes are victims of these uncertain and unprecedented times as well.

I REALLY hope we can find a way to avoid doing this.

It seems we're open to it. Michael Feagles and Giovanni Tadiotto, both golfers, announced they're coming back for a 5th year. That doesn't mean that every spring sport athlete would be able to return if they wanted, but, at the very least, the athletic department isn't completely forbidding it.

the national

the Front Range
Why couldn't the seniors just "redshirt" to save their eligibility? I understand some may have already burned their redshirt year.

Why couldn't the seniors just "redshirt" to save their eligibility? I understand some may have already burned their redshirt year.
The Big Ten only guarantees scholarships for four years. Even under regular circumstances, schools don't need to allow a redshirt, whether medical or voluntary, to return for a 5th year.

It seems we're open to it. Michael Feagles and Giovanni Tadiotto, both golfers, announced they're coming back for a 5th year. That doesn't mean that every spring sport athlete would be able to return if they wanted, but, at the very least, the athletic department isn't completely forbidding it.
Also Vuc Budic in tennis.

Any word on Clark or Kovacevic?
Kova says that he is considering it. Would likely play in pro tournaments in the fall and then for the Illini in the spring if he does come back. Wasn't healthy this past spring and lost to several guys that he should have beaten. Don't know about Clark but it would certainly be more promising if he was still in town. Budic is an accounting major so a fifth year makes sense academically so that he would be eligible to become a CPA.

Kova says that he is considering it. Would likely play in pro tournaments in the fall and then for the Illini in the spring if he does come back. Wasn't healthy this past spring and lost to several guys that he should have beaten. Don't know about Clark but it would certainly be more promising if he was still in town. Budic is an accounting major so a fifth year makes sense academically so that he would be eligible to become a CPA.

Would almost be better to have a do-over for this past season. Sounds like just about everyone was hurt or sick

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I would not be surprised if the 20-21 season, for all sports, is cancelled.
I have considered this as a possibility. I just really have a tough time imagining it. I really hope that you are wrong. I am hoping for a "new normalcy" that includes lighter attendance, face masks and 6 foot lines everywhere. At least until there is some medical solutions that are agreed upon by the parties that decide these things.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
My hope is that we are going to find out with the antibody studies going on that the hospitalization and death rates are going to be a lot lower than what is conventional wisdom at this point. This type of economic shutdown in general is not sustainable, for the colleges or for anyone else. Hopefully the vaccine process is being streamlined, and in the interim each individual will have to make their own risk assessment as to whether they attend a sporting event, concert, or go to a restaurant, etc.