World Cup 2018

Time to get this thread going! Not sure how popular it will be with the US not in it, but I know a few of you guys follow soccer. Eden Hazard is my favorite player so I’ll be pulling for Belgium. Plus I guess I will root for CONCACAF teams, just like how I root for B1G teams in the NCAAs (except IU).

wettsten

Chicago
Time to get this thread going! Not sure how popular it will be with the US not in it, but I know a few of you guys follow soccer. Eden Hazard is my favorite player so I’ll be pulling for Belgium. Plus I guess I will root for CONCACAF teams, just like how I root for B1G teams in the NCAAs (except IU).

i'm pulling for germany to repeat again. for some reason, i can never get behind brazil/argentina/spain to do well. belgium seems to look better on paper but france is scary good. can i call england a dark horse candidate? i think they might actually live up to expectations this year.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I don't have one favorite that I'm rooting for. Just want to see some fun games and see which players stand out.

Favorites:

Brazil
Germany
Argentina
France

Next Group:

Belgium
England
Croatia
Portugal

I wouldn't mind seeing Messi win one with Argentina. If they get to the finals, I'll root for them.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
My Predictions:

Group A - Uruguay, Egypt
Group B - Spain, Portugal
Group C - France, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Croatia
Group E - Brazil, Switzerland
Group F - Germany, Mexico
Group G - Belgium, England
Group H - Poland, Columbia

Rd 16 - Portugal over Uruguay, France over Croatia, Brazil over Mexico, Belgium over Columbia, Spain over Egypt, Argentina over Denmark, Germany over Switzerland, England over Poland

Quarters - France over Portugal, Brazil over Belgium, Spain over Argentina, Germany over England

Semis - Brazil over France, Spain over Germany

3rd place - Germany over France

Finals - Brazil over Spain

Golden Ball - Neymar
Golden Boot - Griezmann
Golden Glove - Neuer
Best Young Player - Mbappe

Nothing really shocking here, LOL. Save for Spain over Germany. Should be a favorites tourney.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
In case anyone missed it, the US team played a friendly against a stacked France team (one of the WC favorites) on Saturday. The US held France scoreless for 75+ minutes and wound up earning a 1-1 draw. Most had predicted a 4-0 or 5-0 win for France, so this is definitely something to build on.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
In case anyone missed it, the US team played a friendly against a stacked France team (one of the WC favorites) on Saturday. The US held France scoreless for 75+ minutes and wound up earning a 1-1 draw. Most had predicted a 4-0 or 5-0 win for France, so this is definitely something to build on.

It is something to build on. France did dominate that game, though. But Steffens played well in goal and our defense was gritty enough to hold them off. Still had some issues in the midfield, trying to cover Pogba and Matuidi, and of course we struggled with Mbappe's speed (although, who doesn't, LOL).

It may be just me, but I'd rather see a Sargent or a Weah up top instead of Bobby Wood. Wood seemed to struggle, quite a bit. And McKennie was wasted outside with Trapp playing holding mid. I know they kind of set it up as a 5-3-2, to kind of park the bus, but I'd rather of seen a 5-4-1, with one striker up top (Sargent) and Trapp at holding, McKennie ACM, with Weah and Adams on the outside mids, instead of the Green/Wood combo they tried up top.

We've got some solid young talent in the system. I like Robinson as an outside back. Pair him with Yedlin on the other side. Carter Vickers is a good defender, although the slip opened up the French goal, and he had his hands full with Giroud in the air, as did Miazga.

I hope the time for Altidore/Bradley/Dempsey has passed. They served the national team well in their time, but I don't see any of them being real factors for us in 4 years, should we qualify for Qatar.

I would say Wood struggled partly because he was on an island pretty much triple teamed most times he received the ball

I hope the time for Altidore/Bradley/Dempsey has passed. They served the national team well in their time, but I don't see any of them being real factors for us in 4 years, should we qualify for Qatar.

Altidore will be 32, Bradley will be 34, and Dempsey will be 39 by the time the next World Cup rolls around. Dempsey for sure will be done. Bradley I'd put at about 50/50 depending on who we have in the midfield. Altidore maybe might stick depending on who they want to use as a forward.

Certainly something to build on. Definitely good to see some young guys get some experience, especially on such a big stage. Qualifying for 2022 in Qatar would likely start late next year I would think so a lot of time to see who will be part of the future.

Altidore will be 32, Bradley will be 34, and Dempsey will be 39 by the time the next World Cup rolls around. Dempsey for sure will be done. Bradley I'd put at about 50/50 depending on who we have in the midfield. Altidore maybe might stick depending on who they want to use as a forward.

Dempsey going for that Landon Donovan role

Joint bid with the U.S., Canada, and Mexico won the right to host the 2026 World Cup. Other candidate was Morocco.

Host cities are to be determined but it's already been decided that the U.S. will host every match from the quarterfinals going forward.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Ugh, Russia v Saudi Arabia???

I'll hang on til Friday. Portugal v Spain. How does Spain react to losing their manager two days before their first game???

Great overreaction by the Spanish Federation.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
If you had Russia 5-0 over Saudi Arabia raise your hand...

Golovin's transfer fee likely went up by about $20 million. He was clearly the best player on the pitch.

Last edited:

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
If you had Russia 5-0 over Saudi Arabia raise your hand...

Golovin's transfer fee likely went up by about $20 million. He was clearly the best player on the pitch.

Was that a Saudi prince that was in Putin's box for the game? Was he being held there against his will to make sure that Russia won the game? LOL!!!

Saudi Arabia looked bad. At least the little I saw, especially in mid-field. Russia/Egypt will be the game of the group to decide who goes on with Uruguay.

Yeah, how many fouls did Iran take to stop the Moroccan attack? I hate that style of play. But, do what you got to do to get the 3 points.

Soccer equivalent of international basketball intentional fouls on the fast break. The frickin worst

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Oof, heartbreak for Morocco losing to an own goal at the death.

(That was a terrible game)

My Iranian co-worker was pumped. She was jumping around. Now she just hopes that they don't get smoked by Spain and Portugal.

Really good first half of this Spain Portugal game.

The goal by Spain through 2 guys was just sick.

Today's scores:

Egypt 0:1 Uruguay (Jose Gimenez, 89')
Morocco 0:1 Iran (Morocco with the own goal in the 95th minute)
Portugal 3:3 Spain (Ronaldo with the hat trick, the final goal coming in the 88th minute)

Tomorrow's matches:
France vs. Australia
Argentina vs. Iceland (My pick for match of the day)
Peru vs. Denmark (Based on the FIFA rankings, this one may be the match of the day)
Croatia vs. Nigeria