WTF news and other odd stories

BES76

Kennewick, Wa
Gov. run amok (likely belongs with the Civil Liberties thread). Unbelievable stupidity here.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/living/florida-mom-arrested-son-park/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"A number of child neglect arrests are gaining attention nationwide, with some onlookers arguing local authorities are overstepping bounds in arresting parents for childrearing decisions that wouldn't have merited notice a generation ago or which plunge families close to the poverty line into even more dire situations."

CardsIllinifan8

C
I read that story yesterday also and thought "that's just not fair". How deceptive is that? Something you've enjoyed your entire life, suddenly is nauseating or worse? :eek:

I would eat an abundance of meat, croak and die. I could not be a vegan at all.

MuckFichigan

M
icon_picard.gif

People can still eat poultry and fish, journalism, where vegetarians can eat poultry and seafood....

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
a few things people can't own or copyright include a selfie taken by a monkey: Click on the link for the monkey selfie, it's great.

• A photograph taken by a monkey.
• A mural painted by an elephant.
• A claim based on the appearance of actual animal skin.
• A claim based on driftwood that has been shaped and smoothed by the ocean.
• A claim based on cut marks, defects, and other qualities found in natural stone
• An application for a song naming the Holy Spirit as the author of the work.

Link: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ho-owns-a-monkey-s-selfie-no-one-can-u-s-says

BES76

Kennewick, Wa
UK Child Abuse

Unbelievable. Why would I ever want immigration from cultures that tolerate this crap. This makes the Catholic Church look like amateurs. Aside from that, I want to know why authorities who poo poo'd the first reported cases are still living ... oh wait, Britain has gun laws.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/world/europe/uk-child-sexual-exploitation/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"Hundreds of children have been systematically raped, beaten and sex trafficked in a northern English town for more than 12 years. And it is still going on, a government commissioned report says.
The "appalling" revelations also expose cultural tensions and lack of communication between authorities and the town's ethnic minorities that may have helped stop it.
Social counselors saw evidence of sexual exploitation early on, but turned a blind eye, according to the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham."

"The report accuses politicians, social services and police of "blatant" failure to stop them, citing an inability to traverse cultural barriers with Rotherham's small Muslim community.
Fear of label of racism
The perpetrators often worked together and were mostly of Pakistani heritage; the victims were mostly white girls, the report says."

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham

"The UK Muslim Women's Network produced a report on CSE in September 2013 which drew on 35 case studies of women from across the UK who were victims, the majority of whom were Muslim. It highlighted that Asian girls were being sexually exploited where authorities were failing to identify or support them. They were most vulnerable to men from their own communities who manipulated cultural norms to prevent them from reporting their abuse."

"Several councilors interviewed believed that by opening up these issues they could be 'giving oxygen' to racist perspectives that might in turn attract extremist political groups and threaten community cohesion."

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
^I saw that yesterday. Stay classy, Alaska...

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
I was waiting for more information as well. Dude was clearly a lunatic.

Lunatic definitely, but the odds of him doing this without everything going on and with ISIS calling for these things to happen, the odds of the beheading not being at least inspired seems low.

DaytonIllini

D
Lunatic definitely, but the odds of him doing this without everything going on and with ISIS calling for these things to happen, the odds of the beheading not being at least inspired seems low.

I saw a funny tweet that said something like:

Headline: Crazed gun-toting white supremacist shoots unarmed black man while he was peacefully discussing his religion with co-worker.

There are lots of comments about him being driven by his Faith. I'm just not sure he wasn't merely a crazy man. If he did it because of his faith it wouldn't shock me. I just haven't seen any evidence of that yet.