WTF news and other odd stories

BES76

Kennewick, Wa
OMG. I hope these guys are affiliated with the Onion ...

“Put into laymen’s terms, the solar panels capture the sun’s energy, but pull on the sun over time, forcing more energy to be released than the sun is actually producing,” WIT claims in a scientific white paper published on Wednesday. “Imagine a waterfall, dumping water. But you aren’t catching the water in buckets, but rather sucking it in with a vacuum cleaner. Eventually, you’re going to suck in so much water that you drain the river above that waterfall completely.”

http://nationalreport.net/solar-panels-drain-suns-energy-experts-say/

OMG. I hope these guys are affiliated with the Onion ...

“Put into laymen’s terms, the solar panels capture the sun’s energy, but pull on the sun over time, forcing more energy to be released than the sun is actually producing,” WIT claims in a scientific white paper published on Wednesday. “Imagine a waterfall, dumping water. But you aren’t catching the water in buckets, but rather sucking it in with a vacuum cleaner. Eventually, you’re going to suck in so much water that you drain the river above that waterfall completely.”

http://nationalreport.net/solar-panels-drain-suns-energy-experts-say/

Read the last paragraph to know this is a spoof, or a poorly coordinated effort to discredit Halliburton

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
This Town Built a Memorial to the Wrong Guy

Officials in Ottawa — the national capital — recently bankrolled a public art project intended to celebrate the late Jack Purcell, a local man who mended broken hockey sticks and gave them away to neighborhood children.

Instead of a tribute to their beloved community member, who already has a park named after him, Ottawans received a baffling memorial dedicated to an entirely different Jack Purcell.

Sure, this guy was also Canadian and a legend in his own right—a world badminton champion from Guelph, Ontario, who left this world in 1991 (his name is on countless Converse tennis shoes). But only some dimwitted design consultant would confuse that Jack Purcell with the man dubbed “The Stick Doctor,” who died in 1966.

The cringe-worthy case of mistaken identity has already caused a lot of embarrassment for the city—and cost them $50,000. But what’s worse is that the civic blunder has created some truly hideous public sculptures. Eleven towering steel curls now rise from the ground at Jack Purcell Park in Ottawa. The stands of twisted metal are mind-boggling for just about everyone.

Wrong-Jack-Purcell_073129836499.jpg

Brilliant. :thumb:

Obviously no design or concept approval. I'd want some drawing proposals at least before I shelled out 50k.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...an-stabbing-girls-12-accused-attacking-friend

This is so messed up. This is one of the reasons parents need to control what their kids can see on the Internet. When I was their age, Internet was starting to really kick off and on AOL we had parental restrictions on websites and limited time online every day. It's the same as little kids playing Call of Duty.

Just heard about this on the radio on the drive in this morning.
Unbelievable. Said they planned it for months. Wow

CardsIllinifan8

C
This isn't a WTF story, but is a great father and son read. They are doing something on my bucket list. Now after reading this, whenever I have a son, I want to do this with him or them.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
This isn't a WTF story, but is a great father and son read. They are doing something on my bucket list. Now after reading this, whenever I have a son, I want to do this with him or them.

...we get the download, ...
:doh: At least he didn't say "after the jump".

But yeah, very cool. Certainly not on my bucket list, but more power to you folks!

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
22 Rescuers Free Student Trapped in Vagina Sculpture

A 20-year-old American exchange student in Germany had to be rescued after he was trapped in a six-foot vagina statue, NBC News reported. Twenty-two rescue workers were called up for the “extraordinary rescue mission.” The student became stuck while posing for a photo with the female genitalia replica in the southern city of Tuebingen.

140623-giant-vulva-jsw-937a_012ad06ee34ef16ade2acf11264eb18f.nbcnews-ux-720-440.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever see a headline less anticipated than this one...

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
What is the WTF part of the picture above? That he got stuck, or that there is a statue of a vagina? Is that a double WTF?

Last edited: