Your first Illini FB game you attended in person

uinuke81

Chief Forever
Birmingham, AL
October 8, 1966 with my dad and a couple others when I was 7 years old. We beat Ohio State 10-9, never will forget it. Illinois had a lot of bad losses that year but beat both the Buckeyes and Wolverines. MSU was the powerhouse in the conference that year with Bubba Smith. They played the infamous tie (6-6?) with ND that year which ended up with ND winning the national championship. I was forever hooked on the Illini after this though.

You guys are all children. October, 1963. Butkus at ML, Bob Trumpe at TE, Grabowski at FB.

I've seen a lot of Illini football but the fall of 83 was best, It was like basketball 2005 from one end of the state to the other.

In Nov of 83, AD Neil Stoner got a bill from Northwestern for $1,580 to cover the cost of a new goalpost. Illinois students had torn their's down after the game, carried through the streets of Evanston (I saw that) and I heard later tried to throw it in Lake Michigan.

I want JW to get a bill like that some day

ritster

Wheaton, IL
November 14, 1981 versus Indiana. I was 13.My introduction to Mike White football. Illinois won 35-14. I cut grass that next summer and walked the bean fields to get the money for season tickets for the 1982 season. Nothing, and I mean nothing matched the excitement of being at Memorial Stadium with 73,000-77,000 people in the stadium and tailgating in the lots prior to and after games when Mike White was coach. I hope Lovie can get it back. I believe he will as I have not seen this level of excitement surrounding Illinois football since then

Chef Illini

Palatine, IL
I couldn't tell you exact game in the mid 90's. All I know is that apparently I was a baby and fell asleep at the game despite all the noise.

October 22, 2005. Penn State 53, Illinois 7. At the half. So it can't be said I got suckered into this thing without eyes wide open.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Opening game vs Mizzu in 1984. Sat on the East side, my first college game as well. The sights and sounds just blew me away. At that time I only had a Kodak 110 camera. I took a few shots from my seats. Little did I know that 31 years later I would still be shooting Illinois sports. 1985 I actually started shooting from the field, over a hundred plus games and over a thousand Illini games in general. It's been a fun ride.

WAIT! I'm wrong, that was just my first game at MS! Shortly after moving to Iowa City, we got on our Illini gear and watched Illinois destroy Iowa at Kinnick Stadium in one of Kirk's early seasons.

Bob Christiansen

4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wach
Sept. 10, 1977, the season opener against scUM. I was a senior in HS, my best friend's family was from Detroit, so of course he was wearing all his maize and blue. 37-7 loss.

The next year, now we're both freshman, roomies in Lundgren Hall (God, what a dump!), got our student season tickets in our grubby little paws (cost all of $35 back then), opening game of the '78 season? The infamous 0-0 tie with Northwestern. Didn't know if that $35 was well spent at that time...

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
Fall of 83' verses Pitt. Pitt had some QB named Dan everyone made a big deal about. :)

I think you mean September 25, 1982, which was also my first game. Freshman year Dad's Day game, Pitt beat us 20-3. Only game I made it to that year, but did not miss a single game during the '83 Rose Bowl season. :chief:

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger
Night game verse Eastern Illinois in 2006. 2006 was a rough season without a home win after Eastern. We were rewarded in 2007, however.

Deleted member 29907

D
First game was 1979, Michigan St (as I look it up) as a student - helpless season, but Mike White and David Wilson started to turn things around the next year. My big claim to fame was having Mike Martin in one of my classes and providing some updates on what homework was due occasionally (no scandal material here gang).

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Opening game vs Mizzu in 1984. Sat on the East side, my first college game as well. The sights and sounds just blew me away. At that time I only had a Kodak 110 camera. I took a few shots from my seats. Little did I know that 31 years later I would still be shooting Illinois sports. 1985 I actually started shooting from the field, over a hundred plus games and over a thousand Illini games in general. It's been a fun ride.

Wasn't it raining at that game? It was a fun one if I remember correctly.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
October 15, 1983. 17-13 win vs tOSU. Sat on the aluminum bleachers in the north end zone. Helped, I mean "watched" the students tear down the north goalpost. I was hooked as a freshman in HS.

Last edited:

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
I believe my first was Syracuse in 1970. That would have put me at 6 years old and I remember just being in awe of the size of the stadium. Being from a small town, I was not used to seeing such a large stadium and so many people. I was hooked and really enjoyed having season tickets during the early/mid 80's before moving to Arizona.

Upon returning to Illinois, I renewed those season tickets in the early 2000's and have been frustrated more than excited until I finally gave up the tickets in part due to conflicts with kids events.

It is nice to be excited again.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
September 19, 1981, Illinois beat Syracuse 17-14.

I was a sophomore in HS and had won season tickets off a Champaign radio station. We were undefeated at home and Tony Eason was lighting up the stat sheets that year. I don't remember much of any of those games, other than it was fun and the crowds got progressively bigger as the season went along, and I was hooked on Illini football.

Unfortunately we moved less than a year later and I didn't get to another game until I was a soph at UIUC for the 85 season. My college years weren't the greatest for Illini football, but 89 and 90 were a heck of a lot of fun.

ChiefIlliniwek

Omaha, Nebraska
11/11/2006 against Purdue. Was visiting over Columbus weekend as a high school senior from Washington DC. Took the guided tour of campus then went to the game after with my grandpa.

Hope you stayed in the stands at halftime as I believe that was the Chief's final performance at a football game. I used to make an annual trip to Champaign for a game every year and chose that one to come to specifically because I figured I wouldn't ever see the Chief dance again.

My first ever game was September 23rd, 1995. 7-0 win over East Carolina. Got to see Simeon Rice and Kevin Hardy play.

I still make a game every year, but lately it's been when they play up the road from me in Lincoln. Last year it was in Iowa City. Haven't been to Champaign in a while.

:chief:

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
I believe my first was Syracuse in 1970. That would have put me at 6 years old and I remember just being in awe of the size of the stadium. Being from a small town, I was not used to seeing such a large stadium and so many people. I was hooked and really enjoyed having season tickets during the early/mid 80's before moving to Arizona.

I was senior in high school and was at that game as part of Band Day. When we processed out on to the field for the pregame, I remember members of the Marching Illini yelling at us from the sidelines "One-Two-Three-Four-Five-Six-Seven-YARD LINE".

September 1995 opening game against Michigan, I was only 12. I remember Tim Biakabatuka running all over us. Still a fun day with my Mom(may God rest her soul).

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
Sept 6, 1980 vs. NU my sophomore year. My older brother was a Northwestern grad and came down from Chicago. It was the first game of the Mike White era. We won 35-9. I think that equaled the number of points scored in all of 1979 (kidding...sort of).

And just to jump on the 1983 bandwagon...my buddies talked me into Block I that year. We road tripped to Miznoz...and lost. It felt like 'here we go again'. But then we ran the table. I helped tear down the south goal posts after beating OSU (I was hanging onto one of the uprights). It seemed like the greatest thing in the world...until they started coming down. Then I realized I was holding onto a giant aluminum tube that picked up a lot of momentum, right up until the point we landed on the people below. The poor guy underneath me. I also stormed the field after Michigan, when Bo had a couple of his linemen clearing a path and mowing down fans on his way off the field. Sadly, we had to end it on a sour note in Pasadena, but what a year

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
West Virginia in Sept 73. First home game of the season my freshman year. Sat in the upper deck in the east stands, great view of the surrounding area, watched some trains as well as football. Bob Blackman, Chubby Phillips, George Uremovich, Fuzzy Johnston...

Didn't miss a home game for the next 6 seasons. Always sat in the east upper deck except for a couple of games that I had a field pass for photography, Stanford being one of those.

Have only been back a couple of times since. Might have to try to schedule a trip now that I'm retired. Even though the football for the most part was pretty bad, we sure had some good times.

And to the kids that never witnessed the Chief working his way through the Marching Band...I feel sorry for you. One of the coolest things in sports I've ever seen. Still brings a tear to my eye.

:hailtotheorange::ms: