Zion Williamson injured after his Nikes break during UNC game

I am guessing that a guy Williamson’s size is at the outer boundary generally of what Nike could expect as far as a guy playing in that shoe but wow Nike has some serious liability exposure on this - depending on the seriousness of the injury it could cost him millions in the draft.

sacraig

The desert

52728016_10157027995006100_2613259811730489344_o.jpg

Talk I heard was it's likely just a strain, hopefully so. He's a transcendent talent. Once in a generation type guy.
Always wondered about that saying. Last year Coach Sean Miller said Ayton was a "once-in-a-generation player". Would that mean Zion takes over from Ayton or because they play different positions they are both once in a generation talents at the same time? Can there "be only one", like in the Highlander TV shows?

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Always wondered about that saying. Last year Coach Sean Miller said Ayton was a "once-in-a-generation player". Would that mean Zion takes over from Ayton or because they play different positions they are both once in a generation talents at the same time? Can there "be only one", like in the Highlander TV shows?
Maybe it follows a poisson distribution where the variance is equal to the mean?

Ayton is a great player, but he isn’t transcendent in the same way that Zion is. Everyone knew about Zion from the opening tip of his first game at Duke (and a lot of people had known about him for a couple years prior to that). I think Miller was just talking up his guy, as he should

There could potentially be more than one uber talent in a generation, but it's not likely and Ayton sure as heck doesn't qualify. I don't care one bit for Duke, but facts are stubborn things. Consider the source calling Ayton transcendent.

That's the crazy thing about the NCAA basically being a mandatory minor league for the NBA. A guy like ZW is forced to tread water for a year and is just one accident away from tens of millions of dollars turning into Monopoly money.

Anyone else smell a UNC conspiracy? The shoe broke 30 seconds into the game. Find it odd brand new shoes could just tear like that. And of all days that happens against Duke's biggest rival? Fishy.

Coach K must be in a panic. This was shaping up as one of his better chances at a NC, and if Zion does the right thing for his career, they can't possibly replace him.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Anyone else smell a UNC conspiracy? The shoe broke 30 seconds into the game. Find it odd brand new shoes could just tear like that. And of all days that happens against Duke's biggest rival? Fishy.
I'm sure Loren Tate will write a column on this.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
really wonder if this will scare ZW and his inner circle enough to sit out the rest of the season. at the very least, to take out a sizable insurance policy. not sure you can get a policy big enough to insure how much he could make on even his first contract if he stays healthy though.

regardless, was surprised to see duke roll over like that after he went out. this is a team with multiple 5* guys at every position, including two other potential top 5 picks in this draft in reddish and barrett (talent most other teams only dream of). to see them lay over like that when they could have really elevated their own individual stocks by putting the team on their backs after the emotional let down of losing zion was surprising.

Last edited:

SKane

Tennessee
I wonder whether Nike is tracing where the shoe was made and whether some factory manager in some foreign country will be out of a job.

And I wish I could have been able to hear the telephone call between Nike's CEO and his PR department last night.