Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 01:33 PM   #1401
UnderwoodsCoffeeGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouAlcinder View Post
I think so, I could easily see these commits by April (in order of when they commit)

PG Ayo
F Austin Trice
SG Damarius Jacobs
PG Courtney Ramey
F Josh Cunningham
Has there been any legitimate smoke about Cunningham?
UnderwoodsCoffeeGuy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 01:52 PM   #1402
TCTORNADO
Trice is well traveled, started at MPHS (Nick knows him), transferred to Hales, then went last year to Moberly, and now at Wabash Valley. Nation's leading rebounder. Has never made a 3 in JUCO and shoots 53% FT's. Athleticism is off the charts. Would be a major upgrade to Ebo and Vesel. Dr. Dunk!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:16 PM   #1403
Spoon House
I hope Trice jumps on that offer. I want our roster to hear footsteps.

Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:29 PM   #1404
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Motion to strike this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Second.
The motion is called. Skip the vote, it is passed

But more importantly, trice or Cunningham? Cunningham seems like he can score, but here only a year. Two for Trice, it seems limited offensively.

Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:42 PM   #1405
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

But more importantly, trice or Cunningham? Cunningham seems like he can score, but here only a year. Two for Trice, it seems limited offensively.
No problem on motion. No stink from me.
Trice is on slow play until others are resolved. No comparison ...Cunningham for the win easily.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:43 PM   #1406
CD4illini
Quote:
I think so, I could easily see these commits by April (in order of when they commit)

PG Ayo
F Austin Trice
SG Damarius Jacobs
PG Courtney Ramey
F Josh Cunningham
Ayo is already signed.

Trice is interested and ultimately signs. Staff likes his motor and rebounding. Seems like a beefed up Ebo-type.

Jacobs is a back up plan to Tevian Jones and maybe even Luis Rodriguez. I like what Iíve seen on Jacobís tape. Big upgrade to some of the athletes we have this year.

I love the vibes coming out of Rameyís camp, but Iím not sure he pulls the trigger...he would be a great coup for Underwood and company if he signs.

No chance on Cunningham. If we are recruiting him, the staff is keeping all info close to the chest.

CD4illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:57 PM   #1407
IlliniCC
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Jordan Caroline(Nevada Grad Transfer) is not only Simeon Rice's son, but J.C. Caroline's grandson
IlliniCC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:59 PM   #1408
TCTORNADO
It is really strange to go into last Fall period with 3 "open" recruiting slots and only come out with 1 commitment and now talk of a total rebuild in Spring with a total class of 5 or 6. Not ideal. Staff must have really mis evaluated the THT, Castleton and Nolley situations.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Feb 12, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:00 PM   #1409
Illini0114
Quote:

PG Ayo
F Austin Trice
SG Damarius Jacobs
PG Courtney Ramey
F Josh Cunningham
People a couple of months ago could also easily see a class of Ayo, THT, Nolley, and Conditt..

I think what is best case scenario and what is likely are often thought to be the same thing on this board.

I would love, after what all has happened, to end with that class. Just don't think it will quite fall like that. I'd be happy with an additional 2

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Illini0114 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:09 PM   #1410
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD4illini View Post
Ayo is already signed.

Trice is interested and ultimately signs. Staff likes his motor and rebounding. Seems like a beefed up Ebo-type.

Jacobs is a back up plan to Tevian Jones and maybe even Luis Rodriguez. I like what I’ve seen on Jacob’s tape. Big upgrade to some of the athletes we have this year.

I love the vibes coming out of Ramey’s camp, but I’m not sure he pulls the trigger...he would be a great coup for Underwood and company if he signs.

No chance on Cunningham. If we are recruiting him, the staff is keeping all info close to the chest.

No chance on Cunningham because you don't think he transfers? Or no chance on Cunningham because you think he'll go somewhere else?

Tevian Jones ain't happening, folks. With that said, I'd welcome Jacobs. Not the outside shooter we need, but we do need some kids with attitude.

I agree with you on Ramey. I just can't see him voluntarily signing up to play with a stud freshman PG in Frazier and a 5* incoming PG in Ayo.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1411
PlayAZ
Quote:
Ayo is already signed.

Jacobs is a back up plan to Tevian Jones and maybe even Luis Rodriguez. I like what Iíve seen on Jacobís tape. Big upgrade to some of the athletes we have this year.

I love the vibes coming out of Rameyís camp, but Iím not sure he pulls the trigger...he would be a great coup for Underwood and company if he signs.

I actually think Jacobs could be better than those two in time. just a shorter version. Motor seems better though imo.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:17 PM   #1412
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
It is really strange to go into last Fall period with 3 "open" recruiting slots and only come out with 1 commitment and now talk of a total rebuild in Spring with a total class of 5 or 6. Not ideal. Staff must have really mis evaluated the THT, Castleton and Nolley situations.
Would believe miketherevelator would agree with what occurred with THT.

Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:27 PM   #1413
t7nich
Quote:
Ayo is already signed.

He's still enrolled at his current school, so they'd be smart to keep it close to the chest.. because it would be an NCAA violation to recruit him, correct me if I'm wrong.
t7nich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 04:27 PM   #1414
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 04:32 PM   #1415
Dan
Admin
Illinois is trending in the Crystal Ball for Demarius Jacobs.
https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/st...64853560102914
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 05:23 PM   #1416
Illini_1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Motion to strike this.
Motion sustained.

Edit -- Nevermind, was thinking "Objection sustained." Nevertheless, I am in agreement with your motion. I see it has already been voted on and passed.

Last edited by Illini_1979; Feb 12, 2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I'm a doofus.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 05:26 PM   #1417
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
No chance on Cunningham because you don't think he transfers? Or no chance on Cunningham because you think he'll go somewhere else?

Tevian Jones ain't happening, folks. With that said, I'd welcome Jacobs. Not the outside shooter we need, but we do need some kids with attitude.

I agree with you on Ramey. I just can't see him voluntarily signing up to play with a stud freshman PG in Frazier and a 5* incoming PG in Ayo.
Dang. It's like my mind was transferred into Verified Insider. Literally every post you've made over the past couple days is exactly what I've been thinking!

Old Feb 12, 2018, 05:35 PM   #1418
Illini_1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob View Post
Motions are generally "Granted".
Yup. I'm a doofus.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 05:44 PM   #1419
Elgin7680
I much prefer a class of Ayo, Trice, Jacobs, Cunningham, and a Big. Then THT, Castleton and Nolley. Give me experience any day. I think that may get us to the tournament next year.
Elgin7680 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:01 PM   #1420
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin7680 View Post
I much prefer a class of Ayo, Trice, Jacobs, Cunningham, and a Big. Then THT, Castleton and Nolley. Give me experience any day. I think that may get us to the tournament next year.
Shoot, we are probably one reasonably athletic big (*cough* Tilmon *cough*) from being at the very least on the good side of the bubble this year.

Say what you will about our lack of athleticism compared to other teams (which seems to be legit and you will get no argument out of me), we have lost all but two of our games by close margins and many of them likely would have been shifted with a single rim protector and post threat down low.

In other words, I really don't think we need many new pieces of the puzzle to simply make the tournament. Ending up in the top 5 or so of the Big Ten is another story.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:03 PM   #1421
oleoleahy51
Oh, you-hoo! Some JUCOs pan out. Guy by the name of Ken Norman was a JUCO and not just any JUCO: came from Wabash Valley to Illinois. I don't remember that, but WIKI
says so. True? Sign Trice; it could only help Illini fortunes.
oleoleahy51 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:12 PM   #1422
LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon House View Post
I hope Trice jumps on that offer. I want our roster to hear footsteps.
It would be great if recipients of offers responded the same day without the excruciating wait.
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:22 PM   #1423
americanoutlaw11
Trice and Jacobs would add immediate swagger, attitude and athleticism that has been missing. I seriously hope both commit to U of I.

Any talk surrounding Courtney Ramey lately? I mean, how awesome would that be?!?!
americanoutlaw11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:22 PM   #1424
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleoleahy51 View Post
Oh, you-hoo! Some JUCOs pan out. Guy by the name of Ken Norman was a JUCO and not just any JUCO: came from Wabash Valley to Illinois. I don't remember that, but WIKI
says so. True? Sign Trice; it could only help Illini fortunes.
Jimmy Butler was one as well...
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 06:33 PM   #1425
Dan
Admin
#Illini offer Sunrise Christian wing Blake Hinson. Love his toughness. Versatile & can score it off the bounce. Wants to reclass to 2018.
https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/963209264272691200
https://twitter.com/B_Hinson21/statu...08421016207360
Dan is offline Reply With Quote