Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2018 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 05:58 PM   #301
BWilson25
Come on people keep up!!!

Bringing up rumors that have already been shot down is not helping us sift through the mess!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 06:28 PM   #302
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Think we are conflating some timing issues here.

I don't believe Tate has said anything about Jordan in THIS podcast. It was a previous report where it was rumored AJ as trańsferring, presumably by Tate.

Rob Jordan shot those rumors down quickly and forcefully.
This. Tate was speculating that he might be one to transfer. He didn't predict it, but he did bring it up. Will be glad when the dust settles and we know where we stand. I'll be even happier if we get a couple more commits soon.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:31 PM   #303
alamocityillini
Michael Finke to have knee surgery on Friday.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...-consider.html
Old Mar 9, 2018, 07:55 AM   #304
Spoon House
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamocityillini View Post
Oh, huh. Now I wonder how much his knee was affecting his play.

Did this ever reach the public's ear during the season? Did I miss it?

Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:39 AM   #305
The Dave
Nice little article on Trent put out by the university:

Trent Rising
Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:46 AM   #306
The Dave
Quote:
Wow, not sure if I'm reading too much in to that article, but they seem awfully open about the possibility of a transfer (as well as concerned about transfers in and having "too many" big men).

I feel it is much more likely that Finke will NOT be with the Illini next year. Hope I'm wrong, but I wasn't feeling ANY love in that article.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:47 AM   #307
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow
Has to be hard to transfer somewhere or be a desirable transfer off a knee surgery, no?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:21 AM   #308
Charleston
Quote:
Meh, I read it as just factual on the part of Jeff Finke.

At the risk of being banned for redundancy (sorry Dan) have still not seen an answer to my question: how can Mchael Fnke gad transfer to another program! He is in grad school right now at Illinois. Therefore, unless he finishes his grad degree in one semester, plus summer maybe, how is it possible to transfer? Rules state you are transferring to a university graduate program which is NOT offered at your current school.

I suppose he could choose a different grad degree, but that seems unlikely, at least to me.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen for my answer
The rule about transferring to a grad program not offered at your previous school seems to be interpreted very liberally. Mike LaTulip transferred to *Wright State*. What master's program would be offered there that wouldn't be at UI (or other large, comprehensive universities)?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:30 AM   #309
CoalCity
Quote:
Meh, I read it as just factual on the part of Jeff Finke.

At the risk of being banned for redundancy (sorry Dan) have still not seen an answer to my question: how can Mchael Fnke gad transfer to another program! He is in grad school right now at Illinois. Therefore, unless he finishes his grad degree in one semester, plus summer maybe, how is it possible to transfer? Rules state you are transferring to a university graduate program which is NOT offered at your current school.

I suppose he could choose a different grad degree, but that seems unlikely, at least to me.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen for my answer
He could apply for a waiver. Apparently such things are available
Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:34 AM   #310
CoalCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon House View Post
Oh, huh. Now I wonder how much his knee was affecting his play.

Did this ever reach the public's ear during the season? Did I miss it?
If you missed it so did everyone else. Like JCL's stress fracture last year. Well kept secret.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:26 PM   #311
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dave View Post

Trent Rising
Looks like Whitman and Brad have chosen Trent to be the face of the program. The graphics on this article are well done.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:32 PM   #312
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Looks like Whitman and Brad have chosen Trent to be the face of the program. The graphics on this article are well done.
Makes sense. Even before he enrolled, he was signing autographs. Even after an awful year for the team he seems extremely positive. Great guy to promote the brand. Something we haven't had in a long long time.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:41 PM   #313
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post

If Trent ends up being a crucial piece of a resurgence of the basketball program, he will be Groce’s most lasting contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mar 9, 2018, 03:22 PM   #314
Illini_1979
Quote:
Jeff Finke:
"Obviously there's a lot of conjecture out there and a lot of rumors and false stuff," he said. "Let me be on record. My wife and I are not moving to Phoenix. Michael has never talked to anybody from Grand Canyon. None of that has ever happened."

Where on earth do things like this come from?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 03:37 PM   #315
IllinoisFanAtFSU
Quote:

Trent Rising
That article was so refreshing -- thank you for sharing! It is amazing to read a star athlete at Illinois who loves the university at least as much and probably more than even the most passionate fan on this forum. That "love affair" section made me get a little misty eyed. After the last handful of years of Illinois athletics, bright spots like this are so appreciated. The university communications team also did a fantastic job with the graphics and writing on this story.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 03:49 PM   #316
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_1979 View Post
Jeff Finke:
"Obviously there's a lot of conjecture out there and a lot of rumors and false stuff," he said. "Let me be on record. My wife and I are not moving to Phoenix. Michael has never talked to anybody from Grand Canyon. None of that has ever happened."

Where on earth do things like this come from?
Doom and gloom message board posters.

Old Mar 9, 2018, 04:08 PM   #317
Genesis
Interesting (free) article from Bossi:

https://illinois.rivals.com/news/riv...-first-season-

Last edited by Dan; Mar 9, 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 05:51 PM   #318
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Gamer View Post
The Finke’s.
Continuing the Groce-tradition of starting statements with the word “Obviously”.
The knee surgery will slow Michael down quite a bit (obviously).

Old Mar 9, 2018, 05:56 PM   #319
TALKTOCHUCK
DaMonte was off to a great start before the injury this season. I love his game in Underwood's system. I am really glad to have him on the team. Great defender.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 06:01 PM   #320
PlayAZ
Quote:

Trent Rising
When all is said and done, I can see Trent having as much if possibly not more affect for Illinois than even Dee did. I loved watching Dee play and promote the school, Trent is right there as well. Both have done more than most of us should expect a 18-19 year old to do.

Thank you Dee and Thank you Trent...2 PG with a passion for ILLINI basketball!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 07:03 PM   #321
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Gamer View Post
Is that dudes name Leron Black? If not, then it’s too early to jump to conclusions.
Leron is considering forgoing, but i don’t think he’s made a decision yet.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't know what he's going to of yet. Nothing has really changed in the last 2-3 months that would have a significant impact. That being said I have no idea what that decision will be.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:18 PM   #322
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrushCow31 View Post
Has to be hard to transfer somewhere or be a desirable transfer off a knee surgery, no?
Not sure what the surgery is but sounds like torn meniscus. Not a long recovery but may not solve the problem permanently.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:30 PM   #323
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Not sure what the surgery is but sounds like torn meniscus. Not a long recovery but may not solve the problem permanently.

Per link (not elaborate on specifics):

"Michael Finke first injured his knee when he was 15 years old. An MRI during his freshman season at Illinois when he was dealing with some swelling revealed what was already known — there were loose bodies in his knee, but it wasn't hindering him in any way.

Finke will take care of his knee trouble with arthroscopic surgery on Friday.

'His knee started locking up in the United Center game against New Mexico State this year, and he had to battle that the entire season," said Jeff Finke, Michael's dad, during Thursday's 'SportsTalk,' appearance on WDWS 1400-AM. "They just wanted to get him through and get him to where now Dr. (Robert) Gurtler can go in, clean his knee up and get him back on the court hopefully in the next month and be ready to go.'"

Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:34 PM   #324
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Per link (not elaborate on specifics):

"Michael Finke first injured his knee when he was 15 years old. An MRI during his freshman season at Illinois when he was dealing with some swelling revealed what was already known — there were loose bodies in his knee, but it wasn't hindering him in any way.

Finke will take care of his knee trouble with arthroscopic surgery on Friday.

'His knee started locking up in the United Center game against New Mexico State this year, and he had to battle that the entire season," said Jeff Finke, Michael's dad, during Thursday's 'SportsTalk,' appearance on WDWS 1400-AM. "They just wanted to get him through and get him to where now Dr. (Robert) Gurtler can go in, clean his knee up and get him back on the court hopefully in the next month and be ready to go.'"

Its a scope for crying out loud, have had 4 of them, no real down time for the most part, if meniscus, 2-3 months max with exercise, anything more a lengthy program would be involved imo.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 08:56 PM   #325
CasualObserver05
Maui next year with the likes of Duke, Arizona, Iowa State, Xavier and Gonzaga, I really hope BU is able to have us ready to compete, however, with Leron possibly not coming back, BU really has his work cut out for him.

Last edited by Dan; Mar 9, 2018 at 09:07 PM.
Closed Thread