Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Closed Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:54 AM   #926
mhuml32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Pretty amazing. My guess is the 5 star kids are ranked mostly on potential. Whether they ever realize it is another question.

I'd be shocked if there are many 5* basketball recruits averaging less than 20-25/game. I'm also wondering why this team performed so poorly with so much talent.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:57 AM   #927
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
I'd be shocked if there are many 5* basketball recruits averaging less than 20-25/game. I'm also wondering why this team performed so poorly with so much talent.
Cuonzo's cousin Marvin Martin was coaching the team?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:16 AM   #928
ILL in IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Cuonzo's cousin Marvin Martin was coaching the team?

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:32 AM   #929
skibdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk1979 View Post
Some highlights of Griffin. Number 0. I think we got a steal. He may not be a high flyer but he gets to the rim. At least a few times in these highlights against a 7'0 recruit from UCLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=JmY41WKU95w
After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin:

Before you read this list know that I'm not trying to bash the kid and I can see that he does have some good offensive skills

1. Few defensive highlights or rebound highlights (that one goaltend was sweet though)
2. Crunch time was dominated by #4 for his team, not him
3. Seems lazy in transition
4. Arguing w/ref about no call on and-1 circus 3ptr... cmon
5. Maybe most concerning for me was his lack of excitement/camaraderie with his teammates... one time a guy was on the ground and he was there, but didn't help pick him up... another time the rest of the players are all jumping on each other after a good play and he's not involved

Hopefully this stuff doesn't matter, or can be improved, but I wouldn't expect much more than a few 3 pointers from him next year.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:46 AM   #930
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibdaddy View Post
After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin:

Before you read this list know that I'm not trying to bash the kid and I can see that he does have some good offensive skills

1. Few defensive highlights or rebound highlights (that one goaltend was sweet though)
5. Maybe most concerning for me was his lack of excitement/camaraderie with his teammates... one time a guy was on the ground and he was there, but didn't help pick him up... another time the rest of the players are all jumping on each other after a good play and he's not involved

Hopefully this stuff doesn't matter, or can be improved, but I wouldn't expect much more than a few 3 pointers from him next year.
Legit concerns. Hard to see defensive highlights in a package like that. Entire game looked like a track meet.

Hopefully Underwood and Antigua (or whomever/whoever the Ass't Coach in charge of this recruitment) saw enough in person to see whether he can play Underwood Ball.

His dad being a former NBA player and current assistant coach should hopefully have stressed the hustle aspect of getting to the next level.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:26 AM   #931
foby
Quote:

Neither would I. But with a roster of 13 it is always great to have a player like this who will improve and contribute as an upperclassman.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:48 AM   #932
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
I thought the 7 second offense is really a myth

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure he just says "I want to score in the first 7 seconds....IF POSSIBLE... then run offense until we get a good shot." That is just to emphasize transition and catching defense off guard.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:50 AM   #933
illini62707
Ball handling can improve at any age all you have to do is put the time in.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:54 AM   #934
TCTORNADO
Any truth to the rumor that Griffin's younger sister, Aubrey, is considering UIUC?? She's currently a Junior and supposedly a suoerstar. Anybody??
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:55 AM   #935
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini62707 View Post
Ball handling can improve at any age all you have to do is put the time in.
It's the same with banking free throws.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:03 PM   #936
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
Pretty sure he just says "I want to score in the first 7 seconds....IF POSSIBLE... then run offense until we get a good shot." That is just to emphasize transition and catching defense off guard.
It was highlighted aignificantly during preseason an but rarely discussed during season before/after games. Dont think it really is a focus area....but sounds cool during offseason media talk.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:11 PM   #937
drewillini89
What are the odds that E.J. Liddell wins Mr. Basketball as a junior? He was awarded the Gatorade POY for Illinois last night. The only person to win Illinois Mr. Basketball as a junior: Jabari Parker.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:38 PM   #938
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlim View Post
It's the same with banking free throws.
I am PE teacher. I actually attempted to bank in my free throws the other day! Made the 1st one. Then missed about 7 or 8. I should add that I am not a shooter whatsoever!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:38 PM   #939
Calvin
Quote:
After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin.
I would agree with tempered expectations. He's got good length, hits the 3, and seems to play at a high pace. However, he looks like he has a lot of room for improvement.

I like the pickup because he looks like a good fit overall. I think he's got a ways to go before he's BIG caliber starter. Good chance to see what Underwood can do as a coach.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:47 PM   #940
UCantHideYer
Didn't see that anyone pointed out, but 2 more 247's for us for Tevian this morning. Chris Fisher & Jerry Meyer. I know. I know. Grain of salt. FWIW.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:55 PM   #941
OrangeAndBlues
We got Samba!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:56 PM   #942
DB11Headband
Kane just committed!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:56 PM   #943
SublimeBeast
https://twitter.com/SambaKanesa/stat...82408782106624
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/statu...82839302217729

BREAKING: #Illini land commitment from center Samba Kane

Last edited by Dan; Mar 9, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:57 PM   #944
Illinifanatic4ever
Samba Kane just verbaled to the Illini!!!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 01:00 PM   #945
TCTORNADO
Kaboom, let the dominoes fall!!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 01:01 PM   #946
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Big time recovery for the staff.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 01:01 PM   #947
mikedILLINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBeast View Post
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/statu...82839302217729