Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 06:51 PM   #1226
Whitmans Sampler
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
It appears the interest in Golden is legit:

Illinois really likes Bryce Golden. Chin Coleman and Brad Underwood watched him last week. https://t.co/BvfllBwuvT
https://twitter.com/Sturdy32/status/...151417345?s=19
Looks like a more agile and high-flying Finke.
Whitmans Sampler is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 06:58 PM   #1227
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmans Sampler View Post
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:02 PM   #1228
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Senior, Alan Griffin @alangriffin_ on his official visit this weekend at the University of Illinois! Alan will sign his National Letter Of Intent on Wednesday, April 11th at Stepinac!
Photos: https://twitter.com/step_basketball/...33915857768448
Awesome! Anyone know if Alan's family came for the visit this weekend?
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:18 PM   #1229
LBZ
If Bryce Golden was heading to Pitt, am guessing he was wanting to stay closer to home? So Georgetown or even Syracuse may fit that?
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:25 PM   #1230
illinibballfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
If Bryce Golden was heading to Pitt, am guessing he was wanting to stay closer to home? So Georgetown or even Syracuse may fit that?
Three Crystal balls out there for him right now and all three are for Syracuse, so my money is on boeheim.
illinibballfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:26 PM   #1231
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Golden looks pretty athletic. Not a ton of tape of him online, but he has a pretty good looking shooting stroke as well (not in this video).

Strong pursuit of another HS big suggests to me that the fifth year market isn't shaping up to be all that fruitful. In the long run, that might not be such a bad thing. Unless we land one of Cunningham or Caroline (which is looking increasingly unlikely), the needle isn't going to move all that much next year. May be better in the long run to give these prospects a chance to develop next year.
TownieMatt is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:26 PM   #1232
Illinibatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Callooís visit to Illinois is unofficial. It was reported as an official but later clarified.
Thanks. Thatís a big clarification. I assume if the Hinson visit happens and is an official visit, then the staff prefers Hinson.
Illinibatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:29 PM   #1233
illini80
Bryce Golden

Looks good on the highlight video's, but then who doesn't! Seriously, though he has a nice looking shot and looks like he gets up and down the court.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:33 PM   #1234
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Strong pursuit of another HS big suggests to me that the fifth year market isn't shaping up to be all that fruitful.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But hard to see us avoiding a Creaning or two if we go into 2019 with one scholly.

I think "avant garde" would be a kind way to describe the roster management that has been practiced thusfar by Josh Whitman's two major hires.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:47 PM   #1235
BRucks
Who can help me out. Feliz commits to South Florida, under the Antigua brothers, out of high school. Both brothers are fired under a cloud of academic fraud. Feliz ends up at Northwest Florida State which seems to be a junior college. Did the new South Florida coach not want him? Did he no longer want South Florida if there were no Antiguas? Were there no other schools that wanted him and he ended up at a junior college? Did he not qualify for South Florida due to academics and went the j.c. route? Was he part of the academic fraud? How did he end up at Northwest Florida State?
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:50 PM   #1236
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But hard to see us avoiding a Creaning or two if we go into 2019 with one scholly.

I think "avant garde" would be a kind way to describe the roster management that has been practiced thusfar by Josh Whitman's two major hires.
...and minor coaches Fahey and Tamas.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:50 PM   #1237
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
Calloo is visiting Michigan State today and has offers from Florida, KSU and Miss St. He has legit size. He also plays against the best HS talent in the country. Itís very possible your talent evaluation based upon a few YouTube clips is way off.

Hinson on the other hand is a tweener who thinks heís a SG and may not want to or be able to play forward.
Yeah he was a DE with offers from every major football program in Florida, but he can't play forward?
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:53 PM   #1238
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
Yeah he was a DE with offers from every major football program in Florida, but he can't play forward?
This thread is hilarious if you don't try to take it seriously.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:54 PM   #1239
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Senior, Alan Griffin @alangriffin_ on his official visit this weekend at the University of Illinois! Alan will sign his National Letter Of Intent on Wednesday, April 11th at Stepinac!
Photos: https://twitter.com/step_basketball/...33915857768448
If he sticks with the number in the picture, who was the last #14 for the Illini? I'm usually pretty good at remembering numbers, but I can't recall this one.

Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:01 PM   #1240
Gunner23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmans Sampler View Post
I thought that Finke was a less agile and low-flying Ekey.
Gunner23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:11 PM   #1241
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
If he sticks with the number in the picture, who was the last #14 for the Illini? I'm usually pretty good at remembering numbers, but I can't recall this one.
Fred Miller 1971
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:12 PM   #1242
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALKTOCHUCK View Post
Groceís mistakes were not in first year recruiting class. I am proud of what the staff put together
ILL
Well said, INI, I think the staff's done a great job. Can't wait to see them in November.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:15 PM   #1243
Illini Fan in Louisville
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

Ryan Schmidt 2015, but Fred Miller was probably the best #14.
Illini Fan in Louisville is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:19 PM   #1244
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
Tate - I watched 1 time on ESPN and never saw high level D1 talent, figured it was a ploy to get Nunn.
Didn't Nunn commit before Tate?
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:20 PM   #1245
Whitmans Sampler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner23 View Post
I thought that Finke was a less agile and low-flying Ekey.
Which would thus make Ekey a less agile and low-flying Larry Bird.
Whitmans Sampler is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:35 PM   #1246
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post

#wewillcrean ?
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:39 PM   #1247
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
Who can help me out. Feliz commits to South Florida, under the Antigua brothers, out of high school. Both brothers are fired under a cloud of academic fraud. Feliz ends up at Northwest Florida State which seems to be a junior college. Did the new South Florida coach not want him? Did he no longer want South Florida if there were no Antiguas? Were there no other schools that wanted him and he ended up at a junior college? Did he not qualify for South Florida due to academics and went the j.c. route? Was he part of the academic fraud? How did he end up at Northwest Florida State?
NCAA never cleared him due to the academic fraud, thus forcing him to go the 2 year JUCO route.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:42 PM   #1248
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Yes, Nunn is the one who sold Groce on Tate after they lost Snider, iirc.
BTW, Tate made 38 3ps in his rookie year in Canada....and 2d in league in total assists. You just never know.
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:42 PM   #1249
NewFan2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Yes, Nunn is the one who sold Groce on Tate after they lost Snider, iirc.
Lost demetrius jackson. Snider was another year.
NewFan2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:53 PM   #1250
SimplyJoe
In home planned with Okoro

Looks like the coaches want to see if it worth continuing to pursue Okoro like they apparently did with Ramey or move on to next one. https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...64176393822208
SimplyJoe is offline Reply With Quote