Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Old May 6, 2018, 11:38 AM   #226
Ol Dirty Gamer
Trentís a good player, but I donít see him in the NBA. He needs to improve in all phases of his game, and develop better pg instincts.

He may turn out to be a great college player though, because he seems to be a natural leader.
Ol Dirty Gamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018, 03:25 PM   #227
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
DaMonte is already bigger/stronger looking than Jordan is....looking for a big season when is ALL comes together for him. He will be a leader for us going into mid season and certainly next year.
I think all he needs is to get his shot in order. Everything else he can do and with some confidence he will be the player we all hope for. But if he can't score that affects everything.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018, 04:53 PM   #228
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Gamer View Post
Trentís a good player, but I donít see him in the NBA. He needs to improve in all phases of his game, and develop better pg instincts.

He may turn out to be a great college player though, because he seems to be a natural leader.
well if he keeps improving at pace he did last year he should give himself a decent shot (no pun intended)as possible. with more scorers around him in the next couple years...AG and TJ and hopefully more next year I think he'll have a chance to dish more. Regardless, I expect he will get paid well for his talents after college.
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018, 09:44 PM   #229
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Nice article about Kipperís offseason growth.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...ey-illini.html
Seems like the focus is developing kippers mental game as much as anything. But goodness if he could get his handles right with his shooting ability and size/strength heíd be such a nightmare.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018, 10:42 PM   #230
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Nice article about Kipperís offseason growth.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...ey-illini.html
Quote:
"A lot of times I think they see something in me that I don't always see in myself," Nichols said. "
That's coaching in a nutshell right there!
Desert Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018, 07:11 AM   #231
tpbradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
That's coaching in a nutshell right there!
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018, 10:58 AM   #232
CoalCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbradley View Post
How long have you been saving that one LOL?
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018, 02:33 PM   #233
tpbradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
How long have you been saving that one LOL?
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 05:10 AM   #234
PlayAZ
Dosunmu....

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/spor...amp/1165714928
PlayAZ is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 09:10 AM   #235
Calvin
Congrats to him. They must go through try-outs pretty quickly to have the finalists announced 6/2
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 03:28 PM   #236
IlliniBrave75
Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 21h21 hours ago
Pittsburgh transfer Marcus Carr: “I’m going to be committing to the University of Minnesota." | Story on @247Sports: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Pitt-transer-Marcus-Carr-commits-to-Minnesota-118050336 …
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018, 02:23 PM   #237
JTOWNillini
Evansville game scheduled for Thursday, November 8. I’ve always loved their color scheme and old logo.
JTOWNillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 11:56 PM   #238
bombayIllini
I think the key is the three point production. If we can be consistent from the three, we should better than last year. Have we upgraded our three point consistency?
bombayIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:26 AM   #239
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombayIllini View Post
I think the key is the three point production. If we can be consistent from the three, we should better than last year. Have we upgraded our three point consistency?
Last year our only threat to collapse the defense on drives to the basket, and thus pull them off the 3 point arc, was Frazier. This year Williams should be a step quicker. Then add Ayo and Feliz into the mix, who are both known to drive to the hoop, and we will have much better looks from 3.
Desert Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 05:14 AM   #240
winthiscentury
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
I think there is some pretty wrong stuff in there. The idea that we have no shot at the tourney is kind of ridiculous. We have a lot of unknowns that could come down one way or another. Odds are against us but it's not completely unreasonable.
Did you see our team and the results last year? Now, remove our top scorer and top rebounder. If Black was back, there's a reasonable shot for the NIT and a long shot for the NCAA.

This season, sniffing the NIT and beating Chaminade in Maui should get him votes for National Coach of The Year.
winthiscentury is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 05:42 AM   #241
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
I think we can agree that next season's team is better than last year's team, so the question is, by how many points. And what will that mean to our ultimate w/l record?
Not sure why everyone would agree to that. This is arguably the worst team on paper in 20 years for us. It can't be understated what a disaster our front court is as it stands. Our 3 bigs:

Ebo: averaged 2 and 2
Kane: averaged 9 and 6....in high school
Georgi: averaged 8 and 2....in high school

It's weird that people are thinking these guys are going to come in and be positive contributors when theyve put up some of the worst stat lines of any high school recruits weve taken in.

If John Groce was coaching this team I'd say we were a lock for single digit wins. Thankfully we have Underwood who has proven to be an equalizer in the past. He has his work cut out for him here though. The backcourt is going to have to carry this team but man they need at least some help.

A 5th year transfer can change everything too.

Last edited by StateFarmCenter; May 15, 2018 at 05:47 AM.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:12 AM   #242
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Not sure why everyone would agree to that. This is arguably the worst team on paper in 20 years for us. It can't be understated what a disaster our front court is as it stands. Our 3 bigs:
I don't have 20 years of team rosters in front of me to debate this but I agree our team will be young and will struggle. If we're in the running for a tourney birth, that would be an improvement, sad as it is to say it. Yes, being a bubble team would be a good season IMHO.

That said, we got a stud PG coming in, and a stud PG already on the team. Both can play up too. I think we'll be fine on the wing --we still have AJ, and a couple young guys who should fit well despite being young and physically at a disadvantage. The 4/5 is a problem for sure. Hopefully Kipper can improve his defense and stay on the floor more.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:16 AM   #243
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I don't have 20 years of team rosters in front of me to debate this but I agree our team will be young and will struggle. If we're in the running for a tourney birth, that would be an improvement, sad as it is to say it. Yes, being a bubble team would be a good season IMHO.

That said, we got a stud PG coming in, and a stud PG already on the team. Both can play up too. I think we'll be fine on the wing --we still have AJ, and a couple young guys who should fit well despite being young and physically at a disadvantage. The 4/5 is a problem for sure. Hopefully Kipper can improve his defense and stay on the floor more.
IMO, Kipper's consistency is the difference maker heading into this year. If he can bring his A game most nights, we'll be strong at every position 1-4. I agree that a bubble team is likely our ceiling, but if we make the tournament it'll be because we have a huge season from a freshman or Kipper turns it up and meets his potential.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:22 AM   #244
combes
If we add a fifth year and Braun.

C. 5th year, Ebo, Kane, Giorgi
F. Nichols, Jones, Braun
G. Ayo, Jordan
G. Frazier, Griffin
G. Feliz, Williams

We may not know about a fifth year until June after names have been pulled out of the draft. Strong guard corps. Need consistency from Nichols. Need a surprise out of the fives.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:38 AM   #245
TALKTOCHUCK
We were not a bad team last year and very few games were we beaten down. So close... So many times. We may not be as talented as last year simply losing a Jr in Black @ 4 but...
1. Second year in system for returning players.
2. 3 pt shooting has to improve. Smith-Lucas-Finke-Vessel couldn't shoot in games. Underwood specifically recruited players like Ayo-Felix-Jones-Griffin because his offense doesn't work if 1-4 can't hit the 3. I think Jones or Griffin and the (finally) emergence of Aaron Jordan will change this next season.
3. We have a huge big man in Kane.
4. We have Ayo.
5. We have players that when the game gets close they want to win, that is what Underwood said we didn't have last season and we have to presume he recruited for it this season.
6. Jordan & Kipper have their opportunity to get huge PT and change this team's outcome.
TALKTOCHUCK is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 08:28 AM   #246
RockfordIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALKTOCHUCK View Post
We were not a bad team last year and very few games were we beaten down. So close... So many times. We may not be as talented as last year simply losing a Jr in Black @ 4 but...
1. Second year in system for returning players.
2. 3 pt shooting has to improve. Smith-Lucas-Finke-Vessel couldn't shoot in games. Underwood specifically recruited players like Ayo-Felix-Jones-Griffin because his offense doesn't work if 1-4 can't hit the 3. I think Jones or Griffin and the (finally) emergence of Aaron Jordan will change this next season.
3. We have a huge big man in Kane.
4. We have Ayo.
5. We have players that when the game gets close they want to win, that is what Underwood said we didn't have last season and we have to presume he recruited for it this season.
6. Jordan & Kipper have their opportunity to get huge PT and change this team's outcome.

I agree with the above. We are replacing Alstork and Smith, who must have had 2 of the worst PERs in the entire power 5 last year (if not all of CBB). Not only did they have poor shooting %, but they were also afraid to shoot. If one of Griffin/Jones can manage to bang in a couple of 3's per game and not play atrocious defense, that would be a huge upgrade over Smith's production. We may lose a bit defensively with Ayo, but he should get more buckets than Alstork, and with his length maybe he blossoms as a defender too (didn't Trent lead BIG in steals, or at least lead FROSH?).

We will miss Black's scoring down low, but honestly I could see a bit of an Ewing-theory like rebound. Black didn't pass out of the post much, so while he was effective, the offense didn't function optimally. I am hopeful maybe we get a few more easy buckets down low with some better passing from the pinch post that will make up for Black's scoring

And in the front court, we desperately needed some length and athleticism to protect the rim. There was a reason Ebo, raw has we was, began taking more of Finke's minutes as the season wore on. Ebo/Kane should be able to rotate quicker than Black/Finke, and certainly have more length to deter all of those layups we gave up last year.

I sum, I don't think we will we be worse than last year, and could be better if Kipper/Damonte/AJ take a leap or we get lucky with a couple of the new guys.
RockfordIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 08:58 AM   #247
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombayIllini View Post
I would imagine yes. Feliz should be better than Tejon (who I believe had an inflated 3pt percentage his freshman year, which showed the majority of his soph year, though at the end looked much nicer, probably a discussion for the past). Even if Trent and Kipper remain about the same, DMW will have a better percentage. Ayo, Griffin, and Jones should shoot better than Finke, Alstork, and Mizzou Tiger Mark Smith from deep (they had 3pt percentages of 30.9%, 24.1%, and 23.2% respectively). The only two I dont see us being able to make up for at AJ (I think he regresses, 46.3% heavily influenced OOC, though I think he settles around 40%, very much respectable especially if he takes on a higher load) and Black.

So essentially we "downgrade" 2 players, upgrade on 5 (Feliz, Griffin, Dosunmu, Jones, and DMW) and hold on Trent and Kipper. The biggest question mark at this point is to me, not necesarily the 5, but who else plays the 4? If we get Braun I think he sees decent minutes, but will Jones be the de facto backup to Kipper?
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 10:12 AM   #248
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by winthiscentury View Post
Did you see our team and the results last year? Now, remove our top scorer and top rebounder. If Black was back, there's a reasonable shot for the NIT and a long shot for the NCAA.

This season, sniffing the NIT and beating Chaminade in Maui should get him votes for National Coach of The Year.
I already said that losing Black will hurt, but we have upgraded literally every other position on the floor athletically, and have a Freshman All-Big Ten PG returning, plus a 5 star PG and a true 7-footer joining the team in addition to the top Juco PG and a 4 star wing. That's far from guaranteed success, but it isn't a disaster like you seem to think.

If black was back, I'd be incredibly disappointed not to make the NCAA Tournament with that roster. Without black, I still think there's a shot at it but it's certainly much harder. It really all depends on how many of these high-risk, high-reward freshmen pan out and how quickly, and literally none of us have a crystal ball. The bar for making the big dance is actually not that high. We have just been that bad in recent years.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 10:26 AM   #249
drewillini89
We're going to win more this year than last year. Some of the freshman coming in will be ready - major upgrades from players that have left since March.

The big questions which we'll just have to wait and see: how much weight can we put on the freshman bigs before B1G play, which freshmen will be ready to contribute and which will struggle, how effective with a healthy DMW be.

I think Ayo and Tevian can contribute from minute one. Trent, Andres, DMW, AJ, and Kipper will lead. Samba is going to surprise a lot of people. Spicy G and Giorgi B I think will make each other a lot better going up against each other in practice, same with Kipper and Tevian.

Last edited by Dan; May 15, 2018 at 01:45 PM.
drewillini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 10:49 AM   #250
UCantHideYer
Too many facets to account for whether we'll be better this year, including if the ball goes in, injuries, and officiating. But I'm excited by the potential. Just the dynamics of what our practices will be like. I don't think a Giorgi would automatically feel they were a backseat to Ebo or Kane. Mav was nothing to us until Thorne got injured. A couple of our serviceable bigs competing in practice could really pan out. And I really like the thought of Kipper vs Tevian. Serviceable depth, we seem like we'll have.

Last edited by Dan; May 15, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
UCantHideYer is offline Reply With Quote