Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 03:12 PM   #1851
TeamWilliams
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichi View Post
Did you see the 10 minute sophomore year highlight video from Mount Mission School? He looked very skilled and solid fundamentally, like he had been playing ball for a while. I was surprised. He also looked very skinny. Since then, he played his junior season at Sagemont in Florida and senior year he was a teammate of Bryce Golden at St. James. I can't find any meaningful recent video, but he has added significant strength. 247sports lists him as a 6-10 225 small forward.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Ba...ol&Position=SF

https://youtu.be/g1FTgMRgg5o
Biggest concern was that phantom screen he was trying to set at :51.

Shades of Matic. Can't find that video with him seeing like 5 screens on no one but gave me PTSD for sure watching that video. I do like the dunks and steal
TeamWilliams is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 03:30 PM   #1852
Ga65
At 6'10" and 225# take him. He is more than 6'6" and can fill in with foul problems or injuries. We used Ebo last year and he may be close to last year's Ebo. May be the stats that were quoted about BU's bigs at SA with 2 pts avg has something to do with our inability to recruit bigs. You would think you would have at least two put back offensive rebounds a game.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 03:37 PM   #1853
nichi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWilliams View Post
Biggest concern was that phantom screen he was trying to set at :51.

Shades of Matic. Can't find that video with him seeing like 5 screens on no one but gave me PTSD for sure watching that video. I do like the dunks and steal
Lol. That was a set play, a double ball screen. 42 picks and rolls. Zdor picks and pops. The point guard's defender went under the initial ball screen and doubled down on 42. So there was no one left for Zdor to pick. Meanwhile, Zdor's man picked up the point guard, so Zdor had a wide open three; which he drained. Had the PG defender gone over the initial screen, he runs into Zdor's ball screen. That is how a double ball screen works. Weber used to run it with McCamey, Davis, and Tisdale or Cole.
nichi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 04:03 PM   #1854
Illini B-Ball Fan
Appears Luis Rodriguez is headed to Ole Miss.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/...060118aaa.html

Old Jun 9, 2018, 04:20 PM   #1855
Dan
Admin
Rolling Meadows 2021 G Max Christie @Max12Christie lands #Illini offer. Top 2021 in-state.
https://twitter.com/scottybscout/sta...66670239395840
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 05:56 PM   #1856
Joseph Kerr
Zdor. Seems to shoot the ball solidly and from deep and basically looks like a Finke replacement. Couldn't find a highlight that gives me confidence in his use of his left hand or going left. Rebounds well based on activity as he does crash the boards and has nice touch on offensive rebounds. Defense is up in the air as I couldn't find much on his defense, mostly zone defense played there and nothing makes me shudder more than watch high school kids play zone. I couldn't shake the Finke comparison while watching him, although if you add some more muscle to him, and we do that well at least, he isn't afraid to mix it up underneath which could be a +1 one on Finke. He isn't a 5 imo as he doesn't seem to have a "presence" underneath. You know the Rodman, Green, Barkley type of "that ball is mine".

I regret trifling with married women. I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards. I deplore my occasional departures from the truth. Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger [eyes shifting to Asa Watts] ... and those I am about to.
Joseph Kerr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 05:59 PM   #1857
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post
Zdor. Seems to shoot the ball solidly and from deep and basically looks like a Finke replacement. Couldn't find a highlight that gives me confidence in his use of his left hand or going left. Rebounds well based on activity as he does crash the boards and has nice touch on offensive rebounds. Defense is up in the air as I couldn't find much on his defense, mostly zone defense played there and nothing makes me shudder more than watch high school kids play zone. I couldn't shake the Finke comparison while watching him, although if you add some more muscle to him, and we do that well at least, he isn't afraid to mix it up underneath which could be a +1 one on Finke. He isn't a 5 imo as he doesn't seem to have a "presence" underneath. You know the Rodman, Green, Barkley type of "that ball is mine".
have you seen most high schoolers play man?
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 06:10 PM   #1858
Joseph Kerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
have you seen most high schoolers play man?

Oddly enough, man to man was played a lot when I was in school, mixing in zone. Zone was played when the other team was too quick, or too big. Understand this comes from a 5'11" guy who played defense on people from 5'5" to 6'7" (low center of gravity and 240 pounds on a guy of size really frustrates them when they can't back you down). My point was not that I don't see it, but that it does not give a good indication of defensive ability to watch highlights from. Defense is team oriented at that point and you can look bad when others screw up, the same as when you set the screen and your guy goes the wrong direction.
Joseph Kerr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 05:59 AM   #1859
Illini B-Ball Fan
Any feedback so far on the Dima visit?

Old Jun 10, 2018, 06:56 AM   #1860
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
Pretty sure it resets in August and isn't based around a rolling list like this
It rolls out somehow just not on the exact date. We get 9 back on August 1st.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:22 AM   #1861
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
He liked the whole team 2 on 2 drills.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1862
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzler22 View Post
I think that goes for most freshman bigs....
...but it helps to be 7 foot with a long reach, like Haarms from Purdue was last year. Samba has that length, but Giorgi doesn't have that luxury, so he has to put some beef on ASAP.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:21 AM   #1863
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
...but it helps to be 7 foot with a long reach, like Haarms from Purdue was last year. Samba has that length, but Giorgi doesn't have that luxury, so he has to put some beef on ASAP.
Giorgi has a 7’2” wingspan. You’re not going to see many more Underwood recruits who lack length.
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:26 AM   #1864
SKane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
No feedback.

However, I will be disappointed if he decides to walk on at Missouri.
SKane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 03:42 PM   #1865
PJD86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
He liked the whole team 2 on 2 drills.

Post of the year right there lol
PJD86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 04:48 PM   #1866
Illinibatt
Tamell Pearson, Maurice Calloo, Austin Trice look so good now.
Illinibatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 07:16 PM   #1867
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
Tamell Pearson, Maurice Calloo, Austin Trice look so good now.
Trice especially. Maybe the staff didn't know Ebo was leaving, but they should have seen the writing on the wall with Finke and Black, and of course Vesel.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 07:23 PM   #1868
illini80
I assume they were confident in landing the other guys. Which was a major mistake imo.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 07:30 PM   #1869
Dan
Admin
Alexis Reyes, a class of 2021 guard playing for Expressions Elite (MA), just picked up an offer from Illinois.
https://twitter.com/PatLawless_/stat...79431993839619
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 07:41 PM   #1870
illini80
I know very little about Kai Jones possibly reclassifying. Are there grade/credit issues? He sounds like a really good option if it's even possible. Anyone heard a timetable for him to make a decision? Having an official to use on him would be reeaally nice.

Edit: Negative on the grade issues. Looks to be a really smart kid. Louisville also recently offered if not already reported.

Last edited by illini80; Jun 10, 2018 at 07:52 PM.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 08:41 PM   #1871
Goldtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I assume they were confident in landing the other guys. Which was a major mistake imo.
Hindsight. They probably were confident in landing one of the other options they liked better than Trice, but it didn't work out that way. A big miss, yes, but labeling it a mistake is a bit strong and to hindsight is 20/20. They have shown to be decisive with recruits, like not waiting on Ramey.
Goldtop is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 09:27 PM   #1872
Joel Goodson
Quote:
I know very little about Kai Jones possibly reclassifying. Are there grade/credit issues? He sounds like a really good option if it's even possible. Anyone heard a timetable for him to make a decision? Having an official to use on him would be reeaally nice.

Edit: Negative on the grade issues. Looks to be a really smart kid. Louisville also recently offered if not already reported.
Have no idea if Jones reclassifying is feasible or his interest level in Illinois. But if we were to land him, that would be an unreal flip the script moment.

As with Okoro, Jones shouldn't want to play another year of HS ball. I'm sure he'll have numerous suitors, but he'll be hard pressed to find a more wide open spot for serious playing time.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:06 PM   #1873
PumpFake
I feel like it's better for the long term to have the young guys picking up minutes instead of bringing in Trice. Calloo and Pearson would've been decent additions on paper, but part of trusting a coach to bring in his players is accepting that some seemingly desirable recruits might not be a good fit. Obviously we have the spots now, but that could all change in an instant with potential 5th years and whatever else we've got up our sleeves. And even if not, I'd still much rather have Giorgi than any of the other guys we've been connected to. He'll turn out to be the unheralded but competent big man that we've been searching for.
PumpFake is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:28 AM   #1874
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:50 AM   #1875
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
We should rehire Bruce Weber because if he would have recruited Jerel McNeal the program wouldn't have turned downward so sharply. Any other opinion is just dumb hindsight bias.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote