Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Old Jun 12, 2018, 02:58 PM   #1151
NewFan2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Weren't quite a few people on this board already relegating Ebo to the bench after about the first 10 games or so???

Some even had Samba starting right off the bat over Ebo.

Now that Ebo leaves, he's apparently more valuable than the week before.

Granted, I'm not happy he left, and thought he'd do well this year, but our fan base seems to rate absences higher than those that are here.

If Ebo is looking at UIC again, could be he feels more comfortable in a bigger city, compared with sleepy Chambana.
sigh...

First, many, like me, were in a "wait and see" mode. I've been watching Illinois for too long to put too much stock into freshmen, regardless of how they're ranked. I'm guessing most people felt that Ebo would be a valuable member of this team, likely getting 15-20 minutes a game at a minimum. I really don't know of anyone who's opinion has changed on Ebo.

Second, it's about depth. We need more than five players on the team. For the frontcourt, we need more than we've got. We're going to hopefully be able to work around it. Hopefully, with good coaching, we can make the other team pay for the same matchup issues that are likely to cost us defensively.
NewFan2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:06 PM   #1152
MadtownIllin
You need the depth not only for the games but to practice against...that may be as big a factor in development as any...
MadtownIllin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:06 PM   #1153
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Whitman is the real thing.

Underwood is having a bad time, so they push this announcement up to change the narrative and get some positive headlines.

And its not just playing the media game, the construction of the football facility, which was separated from the south end zone to dedicate the money to the team rather than luxury playgrounds for donors, is already underway.

Illinois sports is in worse shape than ever, but for a very refreshing change we have quality leadership in place to get to work fixing it.
Coach U has a top 25 rated in coming class, with a 5* PG who is having an impact on the US U18 team as the leading assist man and 6th in scoring, to lead the way and players at all 5 spots in the class. I agree with you about Whitman, but not about our basketball coach. Resets aren't always easy, but they are necessary.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:08 PM   #1154
Dan
Admin
Illinois will host East Tennessee State as part of its 2018-19 non-conference schedule, per a source. Game is set for December 15th in Champaign.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...39847409442818

Full schedule typically released in early August. Here's the reported schedule so far-

Florida Atlantic at Illinois, TBD
Evansville at Illinois on Thu., Nov. 8th
Georgetown at Illinois (Gavitt Games) on Tue., Nov. 13th
Maui Invitational Nov. 19-21
Illinois at Notre Dame (B1G/ACC Challenge) on Tue., Nov 27th
2 Big Ten early games between Fri., Nov. 30th-Tue., Dec. 4th
UNLV at Illinois on Sat., Dec. 8th
East Tennessee State at Illinois on Sat., Dec. 15th
Illinois vs Missouri (Braggin' Rights in St. Louis) on Sat., Dec. 22nd

20-game B1G schedule rotation-

* 1 home B1G game to be played at the United Center in Chicago

HOME & AWAY
Indiana
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin

HOME ONLY
Michigan
Michigan State
Rutgers

AWAY ONLY
Iowa
Maryland (game reportedly to be played in NYC)
Purdue

Last edited by Dan; Jun 12, 2018 at 03:20 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:14 PM   #1155
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illinois will host East Tennessee State as part of its 2018-19 non-conference schedule, per a source. Game is set for December 15th in Champaign.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...39847409442818

Full schedule typically released in early August. Here's the reported schedule so far-

Florida Atlantic at Illinois, TBD
Evansville at Illinois on Thu., Nov. 8th
Georgetown at Illinois (Gavitt Games) on Tue., Nov. 13th
Maui Invitational Nov. 19-21
Illinois at Notre Dame (B1G/ACC Challenge) on Tue., Nov 27th
2 Big Ten early games between Fri., Nov. 30th-Tue., Dec. 4th
UNLV at Illinois on Sat., Dec. 8th
East Tennessee State at Illinois on Sat., Dec. 15th
Illinois vs Missouri (Braggin' Rights in St. Louis) on Sat., Dec. 22nd

20-game B1G schedule rotation-

* 1 home B1G game to be played at the United Center in Chicago

HOME & AWAY
Indiana
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin

HOME ONLY
Michigan
Michigan State
Rutgers

AWAY ONLY
Iowa
Maryland (game reportedly to be played in NYC)
Purdue

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/status/987043582061277184
We've gotta be getting there, right? That's 30 if I'm counting right. 1-2 more at most. Not many cupcakes this year, that's for sure.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:19 PM   #1156
FiveStar
Quote:
We've gotta be getting there, right? That's 30 if I'm counting right. 1-2 more at most. Not many cupcakes this year, that's for sure.
That is a fantastic schedule.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:20 PM   #1157
BWilson25
I'm worried about the front loaded road games we seem to get from the BigTen every season.
BWilson25 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:23 PM   #1158
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henson71 View Post
You're right, I think we got lawyered pretty good with that one! Saying we will win something at some undefined point in the future is an almost certain truth - win what exactly? A game? The big Ten? A National Championship?
"We will win!", "They will denuclearize!", ... meh.

It's a process.
SeattleSlim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:30 PM   #1159
FC Illiniman
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
That is a fantastic schedule.
Much better than last year, with some wins early RPI should be good going into B1G should be nice. Maui could make us feel really good or ready for a long season.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:37 PM   #1160
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2105 View Post
Rankings and stars donít mean anything once the players have graduated HS and started playing. We did not have a good roster, whether that is mentally, culturally, athletically, or skillfully...it was not good. We knew what we had.

I agree about hoping BU could be some sort of basketball whisperer to help the roster but he couldnít. (Probably not too many coaches that could have) So now we play the waiting game and watch him build the roster and see what he ends up with.
after the BU stints at SFA and OSU, I naively thought we was in fact "a player whisperer". He is not, but I do think he is a good coach with potential to turn this around.

He just needs to stick with what he knows and block out the noise. His success will depend on his ability to mold and integrate reasonably good players into his system. He was not efficient in integrating players last year and teaching his system. Not hiring at least one assistant coach that knows his system last year was a big mistake, IMO. He picked guys that could help with recruiting; thats ok, but contributed to last years slow rollout of the system.

His upcoming success will be determined in the gym and practices....not by hitting homeruns in recruiting. Loyola proved that you can compete with a variety of pieces....hit singles on the recruiting trail and develop smart players that love to perform together.

My goals in 2019 are for us to be a bubble team and for BU to be finalist for B10 COY. Each of those goals will be 90% determined by offseason development of the players, team and system.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 04:05 PM   #1161
FC Illiniman
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Weren't quite a few people on this board already relegating Ebo to the bench after about the first 10 games or so???

Some even had Samba starting right off the bat over Ebo.

Now that Ebo leaves, he's apparently more valuable than the week before.

Granted, I'm not happy he left, and thought he'd do well this year, but our fan base seems to rate absences higher than those that are here.

If Ebo is looking at UIC again, could be he feels more comfortable in a bigger city, compared with sleepy Chambana.
See where he lands, BU aggressive coaching style not for him. Although leaves us very thin in middle, having him leave now is best for our team. We will find a replacement, maybe 2. Trust staff and team!
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 04:22 PM   #1162
illinitrav
Quote:
Waiting on one more. Will be a mid-major as part of the Maui Tournament.

Interesting note, Illinois was actually looking to set up a home and home with a Power 5 team for this date, but they werenít able to work anything out.
illinitrav is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:09 PM   #1163
jmilt7
Has this been posted or referred to already? My apologies if it has. Also, apologies if this already well known.

https://247sports.com/Article/Illini...gram-118903274

Two things stood out to me:

First, in regards to Ebo: "I don't think anything catches me off guard anymore," Underwood said. "I try to stay very private with interactions with our players, but every player has different situations and different circumstances and Greg's were personal. I don’t want to say I’m ever surprised. I think it’s part of the world we’re in today."

“Greg was fantastic. He’s a very, very educated, extremely cerebral young man. He has a lot of interests. Those things all led to a personal decision for him.”

And second, in regards to 5th year transfers: Underwood “We haven’t tried to go out and get stop-gap, fifth-year guys in multiple spots. We don’t want that.”

I realize this has been posited many times but I am not sure if there were any direct quotes about his not wanting to go the 5th year transfer route. But I could be wrong.

Also in the "what else can he say" department, here's his response to the question about reliable and experienced front court help:

"Everybody worries about size more than I do," Underwood said. "I’m excited about the guys we got coming in. We’re continuing to recruit as we always have to add a piece or two to that."
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:18 PM   #1164
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
Much better than last year, with some wins early RPI should be good going into B1G should be nice. Maui could make us feel really good or ready for a long season.
More likely the latter. Hope we get at least a couple more gimme games on there because I think we could use them.

Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:47 PM   #1165
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
An "open face sandwich" is usually two pieces of bread, but with so much meat you cannot possibly "close" it, hence meeting the two bread criteria.

You can choose to close it if you like
OK, I will give you it, as long as you eat both sides in one sitting and don't save it, deal?
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:50 PM   #1166
Chukwuwumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadtownIllin View Post
You need the depth not only for the games but to practice against...that may be as big a factor in development as any...
Helps to not put players out of position also. Right now a few players will be out of position. Kipper, Jordan, Tevian fit better as a 3 imo. Right now, without more 4/5, it takes away flexibility and they have to play small ball all the time, instead of when they want. If two 4/5 players came in, ebonleaving would be dissaspointing but not a huge blow. No replacement as of now and they have 2 months to fix.
Chukwuwumba is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:52 PM   #1167
Chukwuwumba
i liked ebo and wished he would have stayed.
Chukwuwumba is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 07:10 PM   #1168
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukwuwumba View Post
Helps to not put players out of position also. Right now a few players will be out of position. Kipper, Jordan, Tevian fit better as a 3 imo. Right now, without more 4/5, it takes away flexibility and they have to play small ball all the time, instead of when they want. If two 4/5 players came in, ebonleaving would be dissaspointing but not a huge blow. No replacement as of now and they have 2 months to fix.
If Underwood is able to put his system in place, the 1-4 are a lot more interchangeable. We didn't see it last year, unfortunately. I think you really only need 1 guy on the court who's a rim protector (which means 2 active guys on your roster).

If no one gets hurt, and we never get into serious foul trouble, we'll be fine...and by fine, I mean we'll have two true freshman
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 09:14 PM   #1169
FlyinIllini22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruman91 View Post
Jack Ingram was a vital player on our best team ever......rebounded and hit big 3's to win some games...i don't see it as any contest who wins between jack and Ebo.....JMHO
Agree with everything but 'best team ever'. You can qualify by saying it's your opinion. My opinion Jack wouldn't have seen the court much back in '89.
FlyinIllini22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 09:52 PM   #1170
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
OK, I will give you it, as long as you eat both sides in one sitting and don't save it, deal?
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 09:54 PM   #1171
LosAngellini
Ebo was not talented. His other offer was UIC. He was a fouling machine and couldn't play defense. Maybe he would have improved with age, like many bigs (Mav). The reason his departure stinks is not the loss of his talent, it's scarcity in the frontcourt. If you're starving, and you lose your only can of soup, it hurts even if it's gross split pea soup.

The other reason it stings is that there is mounting evidence that BU struggles to form healthy relationships with young men. Step one in coaching is convincing players to play for you. It's June, we have a proud basketball school in a Power 5 conference, and BU can't give away three scholarships. Players are not buying what BU is selling (including the three guys he recruited just a year ago). That's fatal.

Last edited by LosAngellini; Jun 12, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
LosAngellini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:14 PM   #1172
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngellini View Post
The other reason it stings is that there is mounting evidence that BU struggles to form healthy relationships with young men. Step one in coaching is convincing players to play for you. It's June, we have a proud basketball school in a Power 5 conference, and BU can't give away three scholarships. Players are not buying what BU is selling (including the three guys he recruited just a year ago). That's fatal.
A bit hyperbolic, don't you think? He has no such issues at previous schools. Let's maybe give him more than one full receuiting cycle to get things moving smoothly here.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 07:55 AM   #1173
Peoria Illini
I will say that this board is giving Underwood and staff and the team some decent bulletin board material for this upcoming season, LOL! Hopefully they can use it to fuel some fire this fall!
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 08:09 AM   #1174
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
Coach U has a top 25 rated in coming class
As have been pointed many times, this is because this particular ranking is influenced by the number of recruits, we have a large number of recruits, partially because of the transfers, players leaving etc. As far as average rating of recruits, this class is 10th in the B1G alone, despite Ayo's lofty rating.

Ayo is very good, very efficient, I have watched him many times and posted on his potential impact way before he committed to us. I watch many players throughout the season so I try to be unbiased in my evaluation, independent of whether someone commits to us or not. We should be improved in positions 1-3, but the problem is 4/5 and our inside game, which was already weak and now Black, Finke, Ebo all left.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 08:22 AM   #1175
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
As have been pointed many times, this is because this particular ranking is influenced by the number of recruits, we have a large number of recruits, partially because of the transfers, players leaving etc. As far as average rating of recruits, this class is 10th in the B1G alone, despite Ayo's lofty rating.

Ayo is very good, very efficient, I have watched him many times and posted on his potential impact way before he committed to us. I watch many players throughout the season so I try to be unbiased in my evaluation, independent of whether someone commits to us or not. We should be improved in positions 1-3, but the problem is 4/5 and our inside game, which was already weak and now Black, Finke, Ebo all left.
Using the class calculator on 247, we would be 28th instead of 23rd with just Ayo, Jones, and Griffin.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote