Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Ayo Dosunmu on the USA Basketball U18 National Team

Old Jun 11, 2018, 06:34 PM   #101
Spoon House
It's 43-0 at the end of the first quarter.

This is uncomfortable to watch.

Old Jun 11, 2018, 06:35 PM   #102
Second and Chalmers
Ayo faced better competition in the CPL last year.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 06:47 PM   #103
TeamWilliams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I faced better competition at IMPE
TeamWilliams is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 06:50 PM   #104
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWilliams View Post
I faced better competition at IMPE
Maybe even CRCE
Old Jun 11, 2018, 06:52 PM   #105
NunnBetter
Will we when?
NunnBetter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:06 PM   #106
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Maybe even CRCE
WIMPE for us oldtimers.

Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:08 PM   #107
TeamWilliams
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunnBetter View Post
Will we when?
Never again.

With the dismantling of net neutrality, our volatile capitalistic economy will eviscerate our University structured extra curriculars. Only Duke, Kansas, UNC and Kentucky will remain playing for the championship each year.

Instead we will focus on chess, math and research competitions like our in state rivals University of Chicago and Northwestern.
TeamWilliams is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:22 PM   #108
Illini_1979
94-14. Panama hanging in there.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:22 PM   #109
Ga65
They should be showing some of these clips to big recruits. Ayo should get you ten every nite with open dunks. Kane will love him. He is a true PG in that he looks to pass first and love the touch passes.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:27 PM   #110
Illini_1979
I love Ayo's length (width?). Long arms -- just so long as he doesn't get too many reach fouls.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:36 PM   #111
FiveStar
Quote:
Maybe even CRCE
CRCE in the summer is some of the best ball I ever played
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:46 PM   #112
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
I remember watching our 05 team thinking it would be cool if some of the passes before the actual assist should be assists as well, like hockey. Some of the sequences in this game are like that.
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:49 PM   #113
Illini_1979
Final score: 118-26
Old Jun 11, 2018, 08:03 PM   #114
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_1979 View Post
Final score: 118-26
It wasn't as close as the score indicates.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 08:23 PM   #115
Sizzler22
Quote:
You werenít the fun kid in class were you?
Sizzler22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 09:01 PM   #116
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzler22 View Post
You werenít the fun kid in class were you?
I was the Panamanian Basketball Team of classmates
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:32 AM   #117
SescIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Wow, Ayo has passing skills we haven't seen since Frankie! So smooth.
Trying to manage the hyperbole, but Illinois has had terrible passing the last decade. Ayo does the simple and predictable play first, which is what Damonte does for the most part. Having guys like Trent, Ayo, Damonte making the basic plays will go a long way in reducing turnovers and increasing assists.

Really excited to see Trevian and Ayo on the court together. I think those two long athletes will give us options we haven't had recently. Ayo and Trevian can both finish at the rim, one with dunks the other with lay-ups.
SescIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:57 AM   #118
MC06
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustsooffended View Post
ē Ayo is a smart and solid defender but plays really upright on D. Iím 100% positive the coaching staff will work with him on that and he could be a hell of a defender even year 1.
Iím looking forward to seeing how much his defensive stance improves by the start of the season. The effort is there but he does play very upright. Iím guessing this is partly a strength and conditioning issue that Fletch will help with. I was very impressed with Trentís on ball defense last year considering he was a freshman known primarily for his scoring in high school. In addition to the coaches, I think he learned a lot from TeíJon. Hopefully Trent can provide similar mentorship to Ayo this year and Ayo will be receptive.
MC06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 07:21 AM   #119
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC06 View Post
Iím looking forward to seeing how much his defensive stance improves by the start of the season. The effort is there but he does play very upright. Iím guessing this is partly a strength and conditioning issue that Fletch will help with. I was very impressed with Trentís on ball defense last year considering he was a freshman known primarily for his scoring in high school. In addition to the coaches, I think he learned a lot from TeíJon. Hopefully Trent can provide similar mentorship to Ayo this year and Ayo will be receptive.
We could be much improved defensively. Frazier and Williams are dogs. Ayo looks like he'll be one too. Feliz and Jones have potential. With Kane down low, protecting the rim, we should be much improved. Thing is, with first year players, you don't know what you're gonna get.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 08:09 AM   #120
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
Trying to manage the hyperbole, but Illinois has had terrible passing the last decade. Ayo does the simple and predictable play first, which is what Damonte does for the most part. Having guys like Trent, Ayo, Damonte making the basic plays will go a long way in reducing turnovers and increasing assists.

Really excited to see Trevian and Ayo on the court together. I think those two long athletes will give us options we haven't had recently. Ayo and Trevian can both finish at the rim, one with dunks the other with lay-ups.
SESC, I agree. Make the easy pass is a key to sports like basketball and soccer, etc.

(Also, it's Tevian Jones, not Trevian... LOL)

As for Ayo's upright defensive stance in another post, I agree, a bit upright. I did like the fact last night that he guarded a smaller, quicker guard (albeit not very talented) from Panama.

I think he'll get more help in learning the defense from DaMonte, over Trent. Trent learned quickly last season, but DaMonte has grown up in that Peoria Manual tough defense system and should be able to help Ayo.
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:38 PM   #121
Bill Lumbergh
Man if Ayo was a bit more explosive he would be a legitimate 1-and-done candidate. I think the lack of explosiveness will keep him here 3 years (if not more), to our benefit.
Bill Lumbergh is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 01:39 PM   #122
imjustsooffended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
Man if Ayo was a bit more explosive he would be a legitimate 1-and-done candidate. I think the lack of explosiveness will keep him here 3 years (if not more), to our benefit.
I've learned that speculating on that stuff is barely above pointless. At this time last year, I was figured we'd have Mark Smith for 1-2 years tops...before the NBA came calling, not Mizzou
imjustsooffended is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 02:19 PM   #123
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post

I agree, but some of Ayo's passes require a court vision and BBIQ that we haven't seen since Frankie. He shows glimpses of that smoothness.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:24 PM   #124
Dan
Admin
Illinois coach Brad Underwood and his staff are now here in Canada to watch commit @AyoDos_11 play with @usabasketball Vs PR at 6.
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...33343998414848

----------------------------------------------
USA v Puerto Rico
5:00pm CT

Watch Live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6WqNVpHzD4

Last edited by Dan; Jun 12, 2018 at 03:30 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:40 PM   #125
alaskaillini
Dropped in to watch a little. Ayo with a nice behind the back on the break at 5:00 left in the 4th. Had thought the comparison to Frankie was a little much but that made me reconsider.
alaskaillini is offline Reply With Quote