Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #101
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#PackTheHall

http://twitter.com/BP3
Quote:
HQ forecast: UI 84, Norfolk State 60

There was a time when Illinois students camped out overnight for prime seating. It's about time that excitement level returned to the fan base. The Illini are ranked in the Top 10 for the first time in more than six years and the team is playing an exciting brand of basketball while achieving the lofty rating. "These kids, they deserve to have a crowd," Illinois coach John Groce said. "I just came out of a place Saturday (Gonzaga) that was revved up like none other. It would be great to have the same type of environment here this week at home. The more the merrier."

Marcus Jackson
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 AM   #102
Foo G
Banned
Rebounds / 40 minutes
Langford, Devin ....... 11.0
Henry, Myke ............. 8.7
Shaw, Mike .............. 8.4
McLaurin, Sam .......... 8.2
Bertrand, Joseph ....... 7.7
Egwu, Nnanna .......... 6.9
Richardson, D.J. ........ 5.9
Paul, Brandon ........... 5.5
Griffey, Tyler ............ 5.3
Abrams, Tracy .......... 4.9
LaTulip, Mike ............ 4.4
Djimde, Ibby ............ 4.0
Berardini, Kevin ........ 0.0
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:39 AM   #103
HeartofaChampion
With a top 10 team for the first time in 6 years and a fun style of play to boot, the AH should be sold out or close to sold out for every home game the rest of the season. No excuses. I'll be down from the 'burbs for 7 or 8 home games. Fans around C-U should be there early and often.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:44 AM   #104
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
With a top 10 team for the first time in 6 years and a fun style of play to boot, the AH should be sold out or close to sold out for every home game the rest of the season. No excuses. I'll be down from the 'burbs for 7 or 8 home games. Fans around C-U should be there early and often.
Yeah looking at our schedule: we play 2 cupcakes this week, but then our next 2 home games are against a ranked OSU and a ranked Minnesota. Those 2 games should definitely sell out and we should sell out the rest if the BiG season : )
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #105
TyinLex
It'd be nice if it was on TV

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:59 AM   #106
RyanK
My guess is this will be closer than it should.

UI- 72
Norfolk St.- 67
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:02 AM   #107
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Hey, check me out!
I'm the only person that is completely fine with the ESPN3 broadcast of tonight's game.
Ha! No you are not alone. I have an ESPN3 plugin for Media Center installed and I always have my HTPC connected since it's the only way to watch *anything* on my TV.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:07 AM   #108
RyanK
Quote:
Rebounds / 40 minutes
Langford, Devin ....... 11.0
Henry, Myke ............. 8.7
Shaw, Mike .............. 8.4
McLaurin, Sam .......... 8.2
Bertrand, Joseph ....... 7.7
Egwu, Nnanna .......... 6.9
Richardson, D.J. ........ 5.9
Paul, Brandon ........... 5.5
Griffey, Tyler ............ 5.3
Abrams, Tracy .......... 4.9
LaTulip, Mike ............ 4.4
Djimde, Ibby ............ 4.0
Berardini, Kevin ........ 0.0
It'd be nice to have a hefty lead at halfto give some of these guys some tick. I've liked what Langford has brought to the table. He would be lethal if he finds his jumpshot this offseason.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:10 AM   #109
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#Illini vs. Norfolk State tonight at 7 CT at @Assembly_Hall. No TV. Live stream on @ESPN3: http://es.pn/mbb-NSUvsILLINOIS …. http://twitpic.com/bl3omw

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Quote:
#10 Illini vs Norfolk St! #PacktheHall and grab a @Devin_langford0 poster while your're at it. #Illini #beatNorfolkSt http://pic.twitter.com/ZmGzSGYo

http://twitter.com/IlliniDesign
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:15 AM   #110
MitchFromAtwood
There's no way this game will be close. Groce and Co. are gonna have our boys ready to put an old fashion beat down on these boys tonight, and I will be lucky enough to witness it in person. I know our tendency in the past and even against GW and WC this year is to play to our opponent. I just have a different feeling about this game tonight. I feel like we turned a corner after the Gonzaga game and now the lights are on and its go time!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM   #111
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
It'd be nice to have a hefty lead at halfto give some of these guys some tick. I've liked what Langford has brought to the table. He would be lethal if he finds his jumpshot this offseason.
Given how much publicity we've received for our 3 point shooting, I find it amusing that Shaw and Langford are a combined 3-3 from the 3 point line.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM   #112
cali illini
Have to agree with Coach Groce "These kids deserve to have a crowd" so this means everyone in A section better show up or give your tickets away to someone who wants to be there! Seems like B and some C show up more than the people in A...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:23 AM   #113
jackman404
Banned
Groce is right. After all these guys have been through the past couple seasons, they deserve to have an insane crowd behind them. They will certainly get one in St. Louis next week, but it would be nice to let them know we appreciate them before that.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:48 AM   #114
finalfour2011
Interesting 'rebounds per 40 min. chart by FooG. I looked up past years for a basis of comparison. Leonard 12.5 rpg, Mike Davis JR/yr 11.5, SR 8.6. James Augustine at 13.7 based on average playing time of only 26.6 minutes with our championship team. I think he sat the bench with early fouls from time to time as I recall. Devin Langford looks like he could really contribute on the boards, great hops! I think he will get increasing playing time. ( These numbers are calculated on 40 min PT as was FooG's chart.)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:49 AM   #115
ChiCityHoops34
Banned
Comfortable lead by halftime and well get a good dose of DL,MS, and MLT. I like what DL has brought this season
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:51 AM   #116
ILLINIFAN1
It's exam week. Students won't come...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:56 AM   #117
PVR
Groce has the team focused as hell and we keep rolling.

82-66. Illinois.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #118
ajg1865
Anyone have an idea about why Mike Shaw is in Groce's doghouse? Poor practice player? Doesn't hustle?

I am curious as well as concerned that he may transfer without getting a real chance to contribute during games.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:18 PM   #119
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfour2011 View Post
Interesting 'rebounds per 40 min. chart by FooG. I looked up past years for a basis of comparison. Leonard 12.5 rpg, Mike Davis JR/yr 11.5, SR 8.6. James Augustine at 13.7 based on average playing time of only 26.6 minutes with our championship team. I think he sat the bench with early fouls from time to time as I recall. Devin Langford looks like he could really contribute on the boards, great hops! I think he will get increasing playing time. ( These numbers are calculated on 40 min PT as was FooG's chart.)
Combination of foul trouble and blowouts.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:22 PM   #120
Foo G
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1865 View Post
Anyone have an idea about why Mike Shaw is in Groce's doghouse? Poor practice player? Doesn't hustle?

I am curious as well as concerned that he may transfer without getting a real chance to contribute during games.
I don't think anyone has said or heard that.
Mike Shaw doesn't get as much PT because he isn't better than the guys in front of him right now.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:26 PM   #121
Groundhogday
Quote:
Mike Shaw doesn't get as much PT because he isn't better than the guys in front of him right now.
It has been reported that he doesn't bring sufficient intensity to practice and had a conditioning issue last spring, but that might very well just be part of why he isn't better than the guys ahead of him right now. We are playing 4 bigs, and Shaw isn't one of the top 4.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #122
UIUC2008
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1865 View Post

I don't think he is in the doghouse. I think he is just outside of the standard rotation. With the way our bigs have been playing and their constant foul trouble I'd expect that Groce and the staff have to be considering him as an option.

There's only so many minutes to go around though. For right now it looks like Groce is more comfortable working Henry in. I think Shaw will have a great shot at solid minutes next year.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #123
Foo G
Banned
Players play players. - John Groce
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:31 PM   #124
PVR
Quote:
Yeah he's not necessarily in a dog house at all. On a good, deep team there are always guys who just can't find minutes.

Hopefully Mike's just a late bloomer. We'll need a big to step up and contribute next year in place of Sam and until Morgan or Colbert is ready.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:32 PM   #125
cubs204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali illini View Post
Have to agree with Coach Groce "These kids deserve to have a crowd" so this means everyone in A section better show up or give your tickets away to someone who wants to be there! Seems like B and some C show up more than the people in A...

My (not really my, more of the company that my dad works for, but I sit in them a LOT) A section tickets will have my butt in them. I will also be loud.
Closed Thread