Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

World Cup 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:29 PM   #26
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
https://twitter.com/landondonovan/st...11145917140992
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:47 PM   #27
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
Tomorrow's matches:
France vs. Australia
Argentina vs. Iceland (My pick for match of the day)
Peru vs. Denmark (Based on the FIFA rankings, this one may be the match of the day)
Croatia vs. Nigeria
Uniform match of the day
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 06:20 AM   #28
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
France 2:1 Australia

France's goals scored by Pogba and Griezmann.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 07:58 AM   #29
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Argentina and Iceland tied 1:1 at half.

Aguero scoring at 19'. Iceland equalizes 4 minutes later.

Argentina absolutely dominating possession in the 1st half.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 08:48 AM   #30
Ramrod2010
Location: Oswego, IL
Argentina has been living in the Icelandic side, but still 1-1
Ramrod2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 09:35 AM   #31
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Argentina 1:1 Iceland

Disappointing result for the Argentines. Iceland's supporters have to be thrilled by this result though.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 09:50 AM   #32
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
Argentina 1:1 Iceland

Disappointing result for the Argentines. Iceland's supporters have to be thrilled by this result though.
Karma for maradona running his mouth
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:04 PM   #33
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Peru 0:1 Denmark

Good effort by both sides. Shame to see either one lose though the Peruvians appeared to be the better side in spite of the result.

Was a little bit surprised the official didn't give Peru the opportunity to toss it in at the very end of extra time in the 2nd half.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 03:45 PM   #34
bdutts
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Based on that second game: good luck with that


No kidding! In fact, they were the only team that didnít score and yet they have 3 points. Enjoy it while they can.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bdutts is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 05:54 PM   #35
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Croatia 2:0 Nigeria

Experience wins out over youth. Super Eagles weren't quite so super though it can be expected that there will be some growing pains for the youngest side in the tournament.

With Croatia getting the 3 points, is it possible that their match-up Thursday vs. Argentina is a must win for Messi's side?
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 06:00 PM   #36
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
Croatia 2:0 Nigeria

Experience wins out over youth. Super Eagles weren't quite so super though it can be expected that there will be some growing pains for the youngest side in the tournament.

With Croatia getting the 3 points, is it possible that their match-up Thursday vs. Argentina is a must win for Messi's side?
Not necessarily, but a loss would be trouble.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 09:03 PM   #37
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Tomorrow's schedule has a couple marquee match-ups:

-Costa Rica vs. Serbia
-Germany vs. Mexico (Match of the day more than likely to some)
-Brazil vs. Switzerland (Match of the day based on FIFA rankings)
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2018, 04:08 PM   #38
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Today's scores:

Costa Rica 0:1 Serbia
Germany 0:1 Mexico
Brazil 1:1 Switzerland
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2018, 08:25 PM   #39
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
This is a really wide-open tournament. Except for about a 30 minute period for Spain, none of the super-teams have looked as advertised.

You know who had a pretty routine win in which they looked like a sleeper contender? Croatia.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #40
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
Argentina 1:1 Iceland

Disappointing result for the Argentines. Iceland's supporters have to be thrilled by this result though.
I am by no means a soccer fan, but I watched the second half of this game, and it was exciting. The whole underdog thing had me cheering hard for Iceland.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #41
orangeroses07
orangeroses07's Avatar
Location: Centralia, IL
Harry Kane with 2 goals today for England as they survive Tunisia with a 2-1 win.

Other results:
Sweden 1:0 South Korea
Belgium 3:0 Panama

Belgium was my pick heading in, and against Panama they flexed their muscles. So much talent on that Belgium side.

__________________
ILLINICARDINALSBLUESBULLSTITANSSALUKIS
orangeroses07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #42
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
Harry Kane with 2 goals today for England as they survive Tunisia with a 2-1 win.

Other results:
Sweden 1:0 South Korea
Belgium 3:0 Panama

Belgium was my pick heading in, and against Panama they flexed their muscles. So much talent on that Belgium side.

WTH! Belgium is about the size of CU, how the heck are they fielding good teams!?!?!?
Desert Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #43
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
WTH! Belgium is about the size of CU, how the heck are they fielding good teams!?!?!?
Golden generations of talent pop up in strange places. Uruguay is less than a 3rd of the size of Belgium and they were in the semis of World Cup 2010 and won the 2011 Copa America. And what's left of their golden generation may make another deep run this year.

What Belgium and Uruguay have in common of course is being small countries smushed in between existing soccer powerhouses. Coaching, scouting, pro opportunities, training ideas and the like can all flow through their borders.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #44
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Golden generations of talent pop up in strange places. Uruguay is less than a 3rd of the size of Belgium and they were in the semis of World Cup 2010 and won the 2011 Copa America. And what's left of their golden generation may make another deep run this year.

What Belgium and Uruguay have in common of course is being small countries smushed in between existing soccer powerhouses. Coaching, scouting, pro opportunities, training ideas and the like can all flow through their borders.

Crazy isn't it?!?!?! And some so easily lose hope in our Illini basketball team!!!

I never will!!!
Desert Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #45
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
WTH! Belgium is about the size of CU, how the heck are they fielding good teams!?!?!?
2 words. Romelu Lukaku.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #46
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
2 words. Romelu Lukaku.

C'mon, those aren't even real words.... Lol.
Desert Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump