Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2017)

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 03:04 PM   #1026
NScale
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
Tilmon is a 4 year player imo, he is good, not leave early good. Best of luck to him though.
It all depends on the advice he gets from his crowd.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:16 PM   #1027
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
And it was a step up each and every time. Do you consider moving from LaLu HS to ESLHS a step up? What about moving a commitment from UI to Miznoz, a step up also?
LaLu to ESL is moving back home. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:20 PM   #1028
zpfled
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
UI's coach is at his third university in three years.
I'm at my 3rd job in 3 years, too...maybe that's why I like Underwood so much!
Old May 15, 2017, 03:25 PM   #1029
icengineer
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title View Post
LaLu to ESL is moving back home. Nothing more, nothing less.
Generally speaking sure. But we are talking about basketball. People like to keep throwing out the 'BU was at 3 schools in 3 years' thing as if it were a negative. It is not, in any way, shape, or form. We are very fortunate to have been able to get him.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:52 PM   #1030
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
And it was a step up each and every time. Do you consider moving from LaLu HS to ESLHS a step up? What about moving a commitment from UI to Miznoz, a step up also?
Who gets to decide what qualifies as an appropriate reason for leaving? Butthurt Illini fans? Seems reliable.
Old May 15, 2017, 04:02 PM   #1031
muskyman99
We need BU and his staff because we are circled by five schools who have improved their coaching/recruiting. NW, DePaul, Indiana, STL and Miser
Old May 15, 2017, 04:06 PM   #1032
RedRocksIllini
Quote:
Generally speaking sure. But we are talking about basketball. People like to keep throwing out the 'BU was at 3 schools in 3 years' thing as if it were a negative. It is not, in any way, shape, or form. We are very fortunate to have been able to get him.
Right. And you can substitute 'BU was at 3 schools in 3 years' with 'Cuanzo was at 3 schools for 3 years each' or 'Tilmon made x changes in y years' and the same statement applies from the Miznoz perspective.

The point was that if we're going to criticize someone for not staying in one place for very long, we're just throwing rocks at our own glass house.
Old May 15, 2017, 04:11 PM   #1033
afpharmdawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksIllini View Post
Right. And you can substitute 'BU was at 3 schools in 3 years' with 'Cuanzo was at 3 schools for 3 years each' or 'Tilmon made x changes in y years' and the same statement applies from the Miznoz perspective.

The point was that if we're going to criticize someone for not staying in one place for very long, we're just throwing rocks at our own glass house.
Would that be the frozen kind like the kind that goes in scotch?

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolridge
Old May 15, 2017, 04:15 PM   #1034
RedRocksIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by afpharmdawg View Post
Would that be the frozen kind like the kind that goes in scotch?
As long as you throw them before they've become scotch-infused. Otherwise, well, that's just plain wasteful.
Old May 15, 2017, 04:44 PM   #1035
afpharmdawg
Quote:
As long as you throw them before they've become scotch-infused. Otherwise, well, that's just plain wasteful.
And alcohol abuse.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolridge
Old May 15, 2017, 04:45 PM   #1036
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMan View Post
Hmmm, wonder if his mom agrees with this decision?

Old May 15, 2017, 04:46 PM   #1037
Hummus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
UI's coach is at his third university in three years.
The logic in your comparison is a bit faulty. Our coach, Mr. Brad Underwood, built a successful program at SFA and a P5 came calling; whileI hate to put words in your mouth or infer your loyalties to your business, but given Underwood's situation, I am sure you would take offer made by OSU.

Now turn the clock over a year, and Underwood begins to turn around a program that needed desperately to be fixed. Fast forward to season's end and OSU's AD did not to show his loyalty to his coach. Concurrently, a highly lucrative job with a very solid history / pedigree has been offered to you, one with which you are quite familiar, again, if I am you, you are taking it.

While I do not see the same path in Cuonzo's path, he did coach for four years at a mid-major before heading to Knoxville. He was, more or less, run out of town due to lack of support by the boosters and students alike. He then took a seemingly lateral move to Cal, had a couple of solid season, but could never cut it; so again, he was let go. Given the recent state of Mizzou's program, it would have been a lateral move if the Porter's had not signed on and he, in part, poached Tilmon away from the U of I.

So Martin has had a series of later moves with mediocre success and no university at which to plant firm roots, whereas Underwood has taken a series of lateral moves with success at every stop.

You make BU's changing of Universities is his M.O. Given his track record, I do not think that is the case, my friend.
Old May 15, 2017, 04:53 PM   #1038
Burt Toast
Quote:

The question you should ask yourself when comparing CM and BU's short stays at their previous universities: Did the school, its media, and fan base express deep regret to see their coach go? In BU's case....ABSOLUTELY...from a CM, Cal and Tennessee standpoint...not so much...

In fact, Tennessee practically ran CM out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 15, 2017, 05:16 PM   #1039
NEIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
There's no situation in which BU being the head coach at three different schools over the last three years isn't at least somewhat of a negative or red flag. Regardless of whether or not each move could be perceived as a step up, he still has shown little loyalty to the schools that have hired him as their head coach. Not trying to rag on BU because I'm excited about the possibilities of him as our HC but let's be realistic here.
Disagree. SFU to OSU = mid-major to P5 job. Most mid-major schools know they're in a Catch 22 - If their coach is good then he/she is leaving for a bigger opportunity. If they aren't successful the school needs a new coach. Underwood was successful and left for a P5 job.

OSU to UI - Underwood took the OSU job with the understanding that his compensation would be reviewed and revised (if successful) at season's end. That didn't happen and is on the OSU AD. By all reports that ticked Underwood off and opened him to a switch. Really extenuating circumstances.

Besides, there's a pretty nasty exit pill included in Underwood's UI contract so he's not leaving of his own volition any time soon.

Last edited by NEIlliniFan; May 15, 2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 15, 2017, 05:32 PM   #1040
Renegade19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2D View Post
We knew that there was a good chance when we let John Groce go that there would be decomits. I am very happy with the new coach and the recruiting class. One or two transfers will be icing on the cake.
I agree with you. Let me add this, I have it from a good source that IF Groce had been retained, there would have been 4, maybe 5 "decomits" from the current roster.
Old May 15, 2017, 05:38 PM   #1041
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Hmmm, wonder if his mom agrees with this decision?
Surprised they spelled Tilmon properly in the graphic The Missouri graphics are a bit on the creepy side in the way they highlight cuonzo.

https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/stat...40869863165953

Last edited by rockillini; May 15, 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 15, 2017, 05:42 PM   #1042
NEIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
The OSU to UI is not at all some sort of special situation. He was there for one year and started conference play horribly. While Holder may have low balled him on his I ital offer, I don't know how anyone is naive enough to think that BU was negotiating in completely good faith. He literally had a new deal in place 24 hours after he was bounced from the tournament. Whitman including that "nasty exit pill" in BU's contract shows that BU's propensity to switch jobs was and should be a concern for the Illini.
Yes, he started out conference play badly. And he turned it around to the point that he made the NCAA Tournament. That's a coach that can adjust. That's a coach you don't want to lose. Only a short-sighted nincompoop AD fumbles that situation.

And that's AFTER Underwood met with Holder earlier in the week. The meeting went so poorly that Underwood stormed out of the meeting.

I don't see 'red flags'. You do. To each his/her own.

Last edited by NEIlliniFan; May 15, 2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 15, 2017, 05:44 PM   #1043
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEIlliniFan View Post
And that's AFTER Underwood met with Holder earlier in the week. The meeting went so poorly that Underwood stormed out of the meeting.

I don't see 'red flags'. You do. To each his/her own.
Agreed. When you have a boss that isn't on your page and a better offer comes up you take it. It doesn't matter if it's been a week, a year or ten years. Underwood did the right thing.
Old May 15, 2017, 05:49 PM   #1044
FC Illiniman
Recruiting thread? 4 schollies left, O. Toppin seems only viable recruit left 2017. Where heading? Names​?
Old May 15, 2017, 06:22 PM   #1045
OneTime3
Meh, it's just a job to 95% of these guys, they just say the right things like any of us would. If Coach K left Duke next year and Duke said they would pay for Underwood's buyout and pay him an extra $2/mil yr, we'd be watching him up on the podium "Duke's been my dream job, it's the apex of basketball... yadda yadda".

I want my coach to care, but at this point it's not anywhere near as much as I just want him to win, we can let the students/alumni worry about caring.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1046
miketherevelator
Kahlil Whitney dunk. Pretty smooth for a sophomore.
https://twitter.com/KahlilWhitney/st...77822595399685
Old May 15, 2017, 07:05 PM   #1047
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTargetAcquired View Post
It would be ideal if we had a shot blocking 5 to cover up our pressure breakdowns.
Totally agree. Even said as much in a previous post. Just saying there are some positives to it as well.
Old May 15, 2017, 07:18 PM   #1048
FC Illiniman
Our 2018 recruits had good weekend, maybe that's what we gonna have to look at. Seems besides transfer, we don't have many interests.
Old May 15, 2017, 07:23 PM   #1049
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
Our 2018 recruits had good weekend, maybe that's what we gonna have to look at. Seems besides transfer, we don't have many interests.
The recruiting wheels are always turning within the Illini coaching staff, standby for more action yet for 2017.

Old May 15, 2017, 07:28 PM   #1050
redwingillini11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Frank Cusumano‏Verified account @Frank_Cusumano 14m14 minutes ago
Jeremiah Tilmon is in good hands. There can't be a better role model than Cuonzo Martin. @KSDKSports @MizzouHoops
And this is based on what exactly?
Closed Thread