Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Al Seamonson the new Illinois outside LBs coach

Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
quhawks12
Coach Banks will coach the DB's now. And we've hired former Maryland and UCF coach Al Seamonson to coach the outside LB's.

Last edited by Dan; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: moved post to new thread
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Sources tell me former UCF and Maryland asst. Al Seamonson will join the Illinois staff. http://bit.ly/xpkQEX

http://twitter.com/coachingsearch
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
BZuppke
What's his reputation?
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4
BZuppke
After reading up on him a bit I get the impression no one will be loafing around.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Coach Banks will coach the DB's now. And we've hired former Maryland and UCF coach Al Seamonson to coach the outside LB's.
First impressions quhawks?
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Lake Camelot
Not Bad?

My first impression is not bad. I don't know a lot about him. But he has a decent resume. Here's what he looks like talking about Lb's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTYnPejA5gs

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Groundhogday
The key is that he coached with Banks at Maryland (03-06) and Beckman at Bowling Green (2000). Based upon his rivals record, it doesn't look like Seamonson is much of a recruiter. Nor do I see any DC experience in a 28-year college coaching career, though he has been a special teams coordinator for most of his career. Seamonson gives Banks an experienced guy who knows defensive fronts, someone comparable to Jancek at Cincy. With Seamonson and Colby, we have a couple of guys up front who have a lot of high-level coaching experience. I would assume that Beckman will now move back to help Banks in the secondary, where Beck has more expertise (mostly coached DBs at previous stops in addition to coordinating.)

Using A Lion Eye's teaching/scheming/recruiting breakdown, we are trading Clink's recruiting for Seamonson's teaching... unless this isn't the final coaching move and Beck is planning to hire a recruiter who could replace Salem as RB coach (and let Seamonson take over Special Teams). I kind of hope this might happen because with our current staff we only have two "recruiters" (Golesh and Bellamy) and one of them has mimimal experience. Beckman, Cubic and Bridge can all recruit, but we could use one more high-level recruiter to balance out the staff.

http://www.ucfathletics.com

Last edited by Groundhogday; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Groundhogday is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Groundhogday
For most of his time at Maryland, Seamonson coached the Leo and SAM (now star) positions. It looks like Banks' defense is actually quite similar to the old Maryland system that Seamonson coached for a decade. Blackney, former tOSU DC, was the head coach at Bowling Green who hired Beckman as DC and then went on to serve as DC for some very good defenses from 01-05 at Maryland--> with Seamonson as OLB coach for that entire tenure and Banks as LB or DB coach for three years. Seamonson also played for one year at Wisconsin when Blackney was their DC. Finally, Mike Ward was the S&C coach for 8 years Bowling Green under Blackney before being promoted to coach the DL in Blackney's last year.

Beckman, Ward, Banks and Seamonson are all members of the Blackney coaching tree. That means there is a reasonable chance the defensive staff will be on the same page this year.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...nson_al00.html

ps--To continue the degrees of Kevin Bacon thing, it is interesting to see the guy who replaced Blackney as Maryland DC when he retired was Chris Cosh, former Illinois coach who worked with Greg Colby on the Tepper staff. And Cosh was also the co-DC at KSU with Koenning before he was hired at Illinois.

Last edited by Groundhogday; Feb 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #9
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
First impressions quhawks?
1st impression was..."not bad".

Here is the thing last year Beckman went with the same "style" of staff that he had at Toledo. Young recruiters. However, at Toledo he got lucky and got some stud young recruiters who could also coach and who seemed to have great chemistry with each other (Campbell, Candle Ayeni, Golesh etc). Obviously, this completely back fired here.

So, this go around he's done the opposite. To me he's realizing that if he can keep a stud recruiter (Golesh) a few good to decent recruiters (Bellamy, Bridge, Cubit, Banks) and a real veteran presence of quality coaches (Colby, Salem, Ward, Seamonson) then he might have the right mix. I like the direction the staff is going. Does it mean it will save the program from last year? Who knows? But, I like this staff better than last years.

To GHD's point of "needing one more high level recruiter to balance out the staff" I see his point and I agree. However, here is what Beckman is thinking (at least my guess). We already have that high level recruiter on staff. If I asked you guys the following questions what would your answer be:

What's the ONE thing you trust Beckman with right now?
What is the ONE thing you believe Beckman is good at?
What is the ONE thing that clearly shows Beckman isn't over his head?

The answer: recruiting. We have that strong recruiter on staff already in Beckman.

While I agree with GHD that we could use another assistant to be a "recruiter" on staff. And I also agree Beckman will go back and help with the DB's. The one thing this veteran coaching staff can do now? It can let Beckman spend more time RECRUITING. Which is good. It's VERY good because he's good at it. Beckman no longer has to spend time "babysitting" his young co-OC's who are drinking from a fire hose because he now has an OC that doesn't need that. He's given Cubit total control. He no longer has to get involved with the OL because he has a veteran OL coach who in turn has a veteran OC to help point him in the right direction instead of having to bypass the OC and go to the HC.

He now has a veteran defensive staff who all are on the same page and understand the scheme we are running because of experience in coaching, experience in the actual system and the WANT to be here.

What's left for Beckman to do? He has essentially handed the keys over. And has done it with a staff who is now experienced and he can trust. Will he continue to help on D and with the DB's? Definitely. Will he still be in offensive game plan meetings? Sure will...every HC is. Where is the majority of his energy going to be put? Recruiting.

So, I do agree that it would be nice to have another young recruiting assistant who can coach. I think Beckman is banking on the fact that he is the other "ace" recruiter to go with Golesh and then hope they caught lightning in a bottle with Bellamy.

Is it the perfect plan? Probably not. Is it good that we are fixing mistakes from year 1? Definitely not. Is it a step in the right direction if Beckman is actually going to get this going? I think so.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #10
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
For most of his time at Maryland, Seamonson coached the Leo and SAM (now star) positions. It looks like Banks' defense is actually quite similar to the old Maryland system that Seamonson coached for a decade. Blackney, former tOSU DC, was the head coach at Bowling Green who hired Beckman as DC and then went on to serve as DC for some very good defenses from 01-05 at Maryland--> with Seamonson as OLB coach for that entire tenure and Banks as LB or DB coach for three years. Seamonson also played for one year at Wisconsin when Blackney was their DC. Finally, Mike Ward was the S&C coach for 8 years Bowling Green under Blackney before being promoted to coach the DL in Blackney's last year.

Beckman, Ward, Banks and Seamonson are all members of the Blackney coaching tree. That means there is a reasonable chance the defensive staff will be on the same page this year.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...nson_al00.html

ps--To continue the degrees of Kevin Bacon thing, it is interesting to see the guy who replaced Blackney as Maryland DC when he retired was Chris Cosh, former Illinois coach who worked with Greg Colby on the Tepper staff. And Cosh was also the co-DC at KSU with Koenning before he was hired at Illinois.
I always love checking out the connections between coaches. It's crazy how many have ties. Thanks for the research!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:17 AM   #11
BZuppke
Qu. I agree most overlook the fact that Beckman is an ace recruiter. There is a kid at a big time HS here in the Chicago area who was "blown away" by Beckman and who says he'll commit as soon as offered. That is definitely Beckma's strong suit.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:38 AM   #12
GilThorpe
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
Qu. I agree most overlook the fact that Beckman is an ace recruiter. There is a kid at a big time HS here in the Chicago area who was "blown away" by Beckman and who says he'll commit as soon as offered. That is definitely Beckma's strong suit.
yes

we know he can talk the talk, this season he needs to show he can walk the walk

I think we will be fine this coming year , recruiting wise, even without some of the recruiter/coaches that left. It seems to be Beckmans strong suit, and if he can close the deals, then the staff turnover this season to a more coaching oriented bunch should make a difference.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Groundhogday
Quote:
So, this go around he's done the opposite. To me he's realizing that if he can keep a stud recruiter (Golesh) a few good to decent recruiters (Bellamy, Bridge, Cubit, Banks) and a real veteran presence of quality coaches (Colby, Salem, Ward, Seamonson) then he might have the right mix. I like the direction the staff is going. Does it mean it will save the program from last year? Who knows? But, I like this staff better than last years.
I agree with most of what you said. Yes, Beckman is a recruiter and the defensive staff includes a lot of good teachers, guys who have worked together and all have the same defensive philosophy. In one year we have gone from being the youngest coaching staff in the B1G to perhaps having literally the oldest coaching staff in the league, and on defense I could see this coming together.

The big question mark is on offense. None of the offensive assistants have coached with Cubit or have experience in his system elsewhere. Bellamy is very inexperienced. Bridge spent most of his career coaching TE, not OL. Will this be a cohesive offensive staff? Will Cubit adapt to talent recruited for a run-oriented spread? I'm just not sure.

Last edited by Groundhogday; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
illinigalore
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
One of the main things people tend to forget is Beck man is an elite recruiter. Its going to get real good real fast. I think this year will be a surprise.
illinigalore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:17 AM   #15
quhawks12
Quote:
The big question mark is on offense. None of the offensive assistants have coached with Cubit or have experience in his system elsewhere. Bellamy is very inexperienced. Bridge spent most of his career coaching TE, not OL. Will this be a cohesive offensive staff? Will Cubit adapt to talent recruited for a run-oriented spread? I'm just not sure.
Offense is definitely the big question mark staff wise. The good thing is we have an OC who has a plan. Has been able to adapt his offense in the past. Watch 2009 WMU film then watch last year. Same concepts but way different ways to get the job done.

I agree though...can we get this offense to work under Cubit and staff. And really can Cubit coach up the staff in order have them coach up the players.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Warriors1994
Quote:
Offense is definitely the big question mark staff wise. The good thing is we have an OC who has a plan. Has been able to adapt his offense in the past. Watch 2009 WMU film then watch last year. Same concepts but way different ways to get the job done.

I agree though...can we get this offense to work under Cubit and staff. And really can Cubit coach up the staff in order have them coach up the players.
I think this is where Cubit being a former HC helps, he knows how to get guys to work well under him
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:32 AM   #17
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
I think this is where Cubit being a former HC helps, he knows how to get guys to work well under him
That is the hope.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Groundhogday
Quote:

Too bad we couldn't find a way to hire at least one guy who had experience working with Cubit, to be his "Ron West."

Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:44 AM   #19
quhawks12
Quote:
Too bad we couldn't find a way to hire at least one guy who had experience working with Cubit, to be his "Ron West."
Yep. I'm guessing that would have had to of been Ryan Cubit though...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:47 AM   #20
illinigalore
Banned
How many more openings are there?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #21
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinigalore View Post
How many more openings are there?
The same number as the number of times Terry Hawthorne has run a 4.2 40.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:55 AM   #22
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
MikeThomas4Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
:laugh:

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:16 AM   #24
illinigalore
Banned
Quote:
How about the same amount of times you've been right on your own account.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:25 AM   #25
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinigalore View Post
How about the same amount of times you've been right on your own account.
Uh huh.