Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 74, Ohio State 55 POSTGAME

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:21 PM   #326
CHI 1086
We Ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRon View Post
Just watched the game, missed it live yesterday. Really impressive home win, and shows Groce has this team back on track. If we can win most or all of our conference home games and win some road games, we will have quite a nice season, but one game at a time.

Egwu was really impressive on Saturday, nice to see his potential already. Tracy Abrams really did well in this game at point, in my opinion. He will only get better at the point. Griffey had a tough game shooting, but he did a lot of little things and got some boards to add value. JB, Paul were really solid, and DJ did well. I was very happy with the rebounding, defense and scrappy play.

I would have expected a much better effort out of OSU, but I guess they just didn't have it yesterday at our place.
Nice, balanced summary...Thanks!
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:27 PM   #327
CHI 1086
We Ready
So Matt,

Are we through discussing the relative merits of effort in rebounding?:laugh:

ILL!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #328
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
So Matt,

Are we through discussing the relative merits of effort in rebounding?:laugh:

ILL!
Boy, I hope so. Although it could rear its ugly head after the Minnesota game.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #329
CHI 1086
We Ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Boy, I hope so. Although it could rear its ugly head after the Minnesota game.
That it could, my friend...that it could
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:07 PM   #330
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
Dayton, here are some most of your quotes regarding Egwu after the PU game. They are all from the first 10 pages. You were BRUTAL to Egwu. I almost always respect and look forward to your analysis of the games and the team as a whole. These seemed almost personal. The tenor and the absolute nature of your comments is what shocked me and I believe, most other posters. This personal nature is what I believe crossed a line. I also believe that the center cannot rebound in a vacuum. If the rest of the team is not working for the rebond, the center is not going to win many 1 on 5 struggles for the ball. JMHO.

"Let's be clear.

Sam and Egwu are really bad.
DJ and BP are really inconsistent.
We are awful defensively on the perimeter.
We are horrendous in the paint offensively and defensively.

We will not be ranked next week.
We will not be a bubble team.
We will win 4-6 games in the B1G.
We are...not good.

BTW, when your opponent crashes 5 players on the glass you need to burn them with outlet passes leading to fast breaks. If you don't try and do that there is no penalty for sending the entire bench to the boards on offense.

FIFY

Losing to Purdue will start an avalanche of losing. There is a really good chance we are 1-7 or 2-6 in the B1G to start the season with home games against Wisconsin and IU before going on the road at Minnesota. No shock if we start 1-10 or 2-9.

Egwu is just not a high major center. The kid doesn't really know how to play basketball yet. A minimum of 6 times a game he sets a screen 25 feet from the basket that is an offensive foul. It doesn't get called that often but almost all his screens are moving. When they are not moving he barely impedes the defender. This is something you should know how to do before you are a sophomore in college in the B1G. His reaction time isn't great. His hands are awful for a big man. Just not a good player. LOL at those saying he is an NBA player. That is never ever going to happen.
At least be able to read. You'd have to take the over on 6 wins. You find 7 wins. I hope we do but I don't see it and really...what difference does it make? 7 wins isn't putting us in the NCAA. 8 makes us a bubble team only IF we can win one or more likely two in the B1G tournament.

We cannot rebound. When you shoot 50% from 3 point land you'll beat anyone but if you are shooting 33% and cannot stop your opponent you are going to lose.

No. He's supposed to be a non-failure in the middle. He had THREE rebounds. Three points and three fouls. He's really bad.

When your center averages 4 boards a game, he is bad. There is no getting around it. You don't need to be a lottery pick. You need to play the position with a modicum of skill.

Sam had THREE rebounds.

Tyler had ONE rebound.

These are pathetic numbers. Tragically bad. And let me tell you, rebounding is 90% position and effort.

Lawson and Hammons had 7 boards a piece.

If you think he is even a mediocre center, I don't know what to tell you. His leaping to block shots would be good if other teams were not scoring at will on the interior. It puts him consistently out of position and he fails to block out because you simply cannot block out when you are in the air. Surely you can see that getting 3 rebounds and averaging 4 for the season is bad? You cannot be that much of a cheerleader surely? He is bad. No. Awful. And when you are playing without a center all season that is a real problem. "
wow, I guess I'm glad the fire department got him down off the ledge.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:40 PM   #331
My2Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
It's ok. He'll play through it.
Lol. You got me.

I guess that's what happens when you penetrate and score. Back to grade school for me.
My2Cents is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:52 PM   #332
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
Lol. You got me.

I guess that's what happens when you penetrate and score. Back to grade school for me.
Take the ball to the hole strong.
Foggy Notion is offline Reply With Quote