Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 74, Ohio State 55 POSTGAME

Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #26
89illinigrad
It always amazes me that, only in the B1G can you beat a team by 20 at home and lose to that same team by 20 away.

I know that some of it is the home crowd, momentum, etc., but I think a lot of it is home cooking by the refs (not that I'm complaining about the refs today).

Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #27
chiefini
Hustle + Toughness + Rebounds = Victory = FUN
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #28
PGHillini11
Look at it this way. Come tourney time, Purdue probably won't be a key loss but OSU will be a key win. Loss vs a mediocre team + win vs top 10 team > Win vs mediocre team + Loss vs top 10 team
PGHillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #29
job71188
Great effort on the boards today. Our offense moved the ball well and had a lot of open looks including 4 or 5 wide open 3's we missed. I think our defense is what impressed the most today. Caused a lot of turnovers which led to transition points.
job71188 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #30
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan95 View Post
OSU is soft
No kidding. I was really surprised by how weak their front court played in this game. They thought they could waltz in and dominate on the glass.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #31
VTIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
Has the sky stopped falling?
A 39-28 edge on the boards helped keep it up there--plus Nnana's two (2!) fouls.
VTIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #32
CaliforniaIllini
So how does this affect our rankings... will we be moving up or down?
CaliforniaIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #33
illiniorphan
Love how the team responds to this coach, love their effort, anything less than 100% effort in this league is going to be a lose. Rebounding was so much better, showed what a lot of effort can produce..
illiniorphan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #34
AHSIllini32
Banned
I said this in the game thread but I want to say it again here because of hard Dayton was riding him:

Dayton owes Egwu a sincere apology. Dude was a beast today!
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #35
CaliforniaIllini
Also, I'm thinking John Groce likes sticking it to his friends. Domination of Butler and OSU and a heartbreaking last second go ahead shot against Gardner-Webb.
CaliforniaIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #36
USAFILLINI
Si vis pacem, para bellum
I'm here to eat crow. I thought a loss for sure after the Purdue game. Nice to see BP back and not pressing to score. Egwu must have read the boards after the purdue game, because he came out with some fire today.
USAFILLINI is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #37
Illini B-Ball Fan
Good job, team, that's the way it's supposed to be done.

Go Illini!
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #38
illiniorphan
illiniorphan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #39
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I said this in the game thread but I want to say it again here because of hard Dayton was riding him:

I said this in the game thread:

Get in line, Nnanna.
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #40
superman man
I think the refs were one of the determining factors, a couple bad calls but they let em play. GO ILLINI BABY
superman man is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #41
IlliniRunIn07
Great game today in every facet except 3 pt shooting. I am not mad at any single player. The effort was there all day. It was great to see DJ hit a couple threes. I hope that gives hi, confidence to hit some big ones in closer games. Tyler didn't have a very good game, IMO. Brandon played well. Tracy played well. Nnanna played extremely well! Joe B played well. Good game. Takes some sting away from the Purdue loss, but also makes that loss a little more frustrating.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #42
CaliIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIllini View Post
So how does this affect our rankings... will we be moving up or down?
I have to think we stay about the same. Probably move down in the AP but stay where we were in the Coaches.
CaliIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #43
Warriors1994
Now the key to playing in the BIG cannot get too high or too low. Must get back to work now!

Go
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #44
Botb9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post

As does Yours Truly! This crow is awesome!
Botb9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #45
IlliniRyan13
Banned
Just an awesome win! Winning on the road in B10 this year going to be at an all time premium. Admittedly was on the ledge after PU. Thanks to JG for getting the team ready like he did today. Can tell they had just 2 great days of practice.

Minnesota is good but whole new ball game for them coming to The Hall on Wednesday. Looking forward to it already.

ILL-INI
IlliniRyan13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #46
demmario
Great win....thinking Purdue loss was a good thing and a reminder that nobody is going to give you anything in this conference. Quick observation....anybody notice Devin Langford not on the bench?
demmario is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #47
PEORIAFLA
Great win for the young men today. They really moved the ball and themselves today and when you do that it usually involves good results! Defensive side and the play of Egwu stand out for me tonight!
PEORIAFLA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #48
-josh-
Banned
Rebounding, holy cow we showed some life on the boards today. That was a complete group effort, it's almost like Groce told the guys "i dont care if we never get another transition basket again, just rebound the dang ball!" Egwu played like a man in the post, but he should have, there was no one who could size up to him on this team.

They proved me wrong, they came out and played like they had a pair between their legs and thats an attitude we've been missing in recent years. Congrats to Coach Groce for whipping them into shape, Abrams said after the game that it was the toughest two days of practice he's ever had.
-josh- is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #49
nicksmith4three
Exhale.....Didn't see a blow out coming against OSU. Need the same intensity against Minny.
nicksmith4three is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:30 PM   #50
WARDFORTHREE
Man, what a game by Egwu and JB. I am not sure why people are complaining about Egwu this year. He has been constantly hustling, and that's all you can ask. Also, Tracy is playing great. Had a few bad to's but he is way more than expected going into this season. Only negative for me today would be Griffeys shooting, but that will come around.
WARDFORTHREE is offline Reply With Quote