Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

ACC wants to expand NCAA tournament from 68 to 72 teams

Old May 19, 2018, 03:12 AM   #26
JTOWNillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrope9190 View Post
Great, so the 14th place ACC team will get to !!!!! about how they only got a 17th seed. Don't like Power 5 or 6 conferences sending 2/3 of their schools into the tourney and then leaving out the MVC 2nd place team because no one would schedule them.

Keep it at 68.
This.

Also weird how the ACC proposes 72 (ie. all 16-seeds are play-in games) immediately after the pasting UMBC laid on Virginia.
JTOWNillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 03:55 AM   #27
Illiini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
That's where I am. No matter where you draw the line, people will say that these 3 or 4 teams got hosed. Since that is inevitable, draw the line at the right bracket number, which is 64.
I think that's called the do-the-math option.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 08:27 AM   #28
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
That's where I am. No matter where you draw the line, people will say that these 3 or 4 teams got hosed. Since that is inevitable, draw the line at the right bracket number, which is 64.
Agreed. A little tired of the MORE, MORE, MORE mentality. 64 is MORE than enough.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018, 01:49 PM   #29
illini80
I was a little surprised that Underwood pretty strongly agreed with the expansion.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018, 02:39 PM   #30
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I was a little surprised that Underwood pretty strongly agreed with the expansion.
Well, of course, it does increase a team's chances of making the tournament. Also "cheapens" the invite a little.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote