Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

English Premier League 2017-2018

Old May 13, 2018, 07:15 PM   #251
wettsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFaninHoosierLand View Post
Everton loses 3:1 at West Ham today. Another uninspired effort by the Toffees under Big Sam. Lone goal for Everton by Niasse. 2 goals by Lanzini and another by Arnautovic for the Hammers.

I would be very surprised if Allardyce is brought back next season.
supposedly, vieira is a target for manager at everton.

Old May 13, 2018, 08:58 PM   #252
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettsten View Post
supposedly, vieira is a target for manager at everton.
I've also heard Marco Silva, the former Hull City and Watford manager, as a possibility.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 06:04 PM   #253
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Fulham won today 2:0 over Derby County going through on aggregate 2:1. They get the winner of Aston Villa/Middlesbrough who will play their second leg tomorrow at Villa Park. Aston Villa won the 1st leg 0:1.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:14 PM   #254
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Fulham won today 2:0 over Derby County going through on aggregate 2:1. They get the winner of Aston Villa/Middlesbrough who will play their second leg tomorrow at Villa Park. Aston Villa won the 1st leg 0:1.
Fulham has a couple of Americans on their roster, as well as being owned by Illini Alum Shahid Khan.

They also play at one of the oldest and coolest places in London, Craven Cottage. Would love to see them back in the EPL.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/visit/craven-cottage
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 01:29 PM   #255
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Fulham has a couple of Americans on their roster, as well as being owned by Illini Alum Shahid Khan.

They also play at one of the oldest and coolest places in London, Craven Cottage. Would love to see them back in the EPL.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/visit/craven-cottage
Fully on board the Fulham train. Thanks for the link. McBride's Sports Bar is still part of Craven Cottage. Damn cool honor for an American! McBride is a great guy and was a VVG USMNT player. Arlington Heights native, Buffalo Grove HS and St. Louis Univ. star.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 05:57 PM   #256
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Aston Villa and Middlesbrough played to a 0:0 draw today, meaning that Aston Villa goes through on aggregate 1:0.

Aston Villa and Fulham will play for the final Premier League promotional spot May 26th at Wembley.
Old May 15, 2018, 06:54 PM   #257
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Aston Villa and Fulham will play for the final Premier League promotional spot May 26th at Wembley.
In a game with more on the line, financially speaking, than the Champions League final later that afternoon.

A great day for a doubleheader at your local soccer bar, FYI.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 07:06 PM   #258
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Everton sack Big Sam and West Ham decide to not renew David Moyes' contract.

The names being floated around as possible replacements at Everton include former Watford manager Marco Silva (who is the likely favorite), current Shakhtar Donetsk manager Paulo Fonseca, Porto manager Sergio Conceicao, and Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta.

Fonseca is also being mentioned as a possibility for the West Ham job as are Rafael Benitez at Newcastle, former Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini, and outgoing PSG coach Unai Emery.
Old May 17, 2018, 08:49 AM   #259
Peoria Illini
On the bright side for any Man United fans like myself, Hoffenheim's young up and coming manager Julian Nagelsmann will apparently be staying at Hoffenheim for next season, as they qualified for UCL. Maybe just one more year of Mourinho at United, then we can bring this guy in!

Was on Arsenal's short list this year. Also rumored for the Bayern Munich job as well. Would love to see him at Old Trafford soon!
Old May 17, 2018, 09:08 AM   #260
Joel Goodson
Quote:
On the bright side for any Man United fans like myself, Hoffenheim's young up and coming manager Julian Nagelsmann will apparently be staying at Hoffenheim for next season, as they qualified for UCL. Maybe just one more year of Mourinho at United, then we can bring this guy in!

Was on Arsenal's short list this year. Also rumored for the Bayern Munich job as well. Would love to see him at Old Trafford soon!
Now that Allegri is out, I wanted Nagelsmann at Arsenal.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 09:35 AM   #261
wettsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
looks like the shortlist is down to arteta for arsenal.

anyone interested in unai emery?

Old May 17, 2018, 09:36 AM   #262
Peoria Illini
Quote:

Did I hear Everton was looking at Emery?
Old May 17, 2018, 09:37 AM   #263
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
If I was an Arsenal fan, so would I, LOL!!! That guy has done some great things with Hoffenheim.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:35 AM   #264
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:

What happened to Patrick Vieira? I thought he was the front runner.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 12:12 PM   #265
wettsten
Quote:
Everton sack Big Sam and West Ham decide to not renew David Moyes' contract.

The names being floated around as possible replacements at Everton include former Watford manager Marco Silva (who is the likely favorite), current Shakhtar Donetsk manager Paulo Fonseca, Porto manager Sergio Conceicao, and Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta.

Fonseca is also being mentioned as a possibility for the West Ham job as are Rafael Benitez at Newcastle, former Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini, and outgoing PSG coach Unai Emery.
Quote:
Did I hear Everton was looking at Emery?
looks like West Ham is too

Old May 17, 2018, 12:13 PM   #266
wettsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
What happened to Patrick Vieira? I thought he was the front runner.
he apparently received a token call from Arsenal saying "hi, we thought of you but we're going in a different direction" and he got pretty upset about it.

Old May 18, 2018, 09:03 PM   #267
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
FA Cup final tomorrow between Chelsea and Manchester United will air at 11:15 AM CT on FOX.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:07 AM   #268
Peoria Illini
Quote:
FA Cup final tomorrow between Chelsea and Manchester United will air at 11:15 AM CT on FOX.
Had to watch the DVR of it. Not sure why I wasted my time watching it. What a craptastic final.

Can someone please explain Jose Mourinho's fascination with Phil Jones??? Terrible!!!
Old May 21, 2018, 03:12 PM   #269
wettsten
Quote:
Had to watch the DVR of it. Not sure why I wasted my time watching it. What a craptastic final.

Can someone please explain Jose Mourinho's fascination with Phil Jones??? Terrible!!!
i find it amusing that he said Chelsea didn't deserve to win because of their defending.

Old May 21, 2018, 06:13 PM   #270
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Arsenal set to appoint former PSG manager Unai Emery to replace Arsene Wenger.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:38 AM   #271
Peoria Illini
Quote:
How Arsenally of them...

Good to see Nagelsmann not going there. Spend another year at Hoffenheim, then when Jose leaves Man United next year, he can step in!!!
Old May 22, 2018, 07:50 AM   #272
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:
Quote:
How Arsenally of them...
He was in charge when PSG had their epic collapse against Barcelona. Here's hoping that more epic collapses are in his future.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 07:54 AM   #273
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
He was in charge when PSG had their epic collapse against Barcelona. Here's hoping that more epic collapses are in his future.
Dilly, Dilly