Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Coaching Carousel

Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:28 AM   #101
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se Il Illini View Post
Both channel 14 and 44 in Evansville are reporting at 10:00 pm that the UE has reached out to Calbert Cheney. Channel 14 added that Chris Lowery and Boston Celtics assistant coach Walter McCartney have expressed interest. I believe all 3 are graduates of Evansville Harrison High School.
He might want to stay on the path to NBA coaching, but I'd at least gauge the interest of Ronald Nored.
Matthew Graves was recently let go by South Alabama. He was a rising coaching star at Butler and made a very suspect career move going to South Alabama. I suspect he'd have more success coming back to Indiana.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:57 AM   #102
SKane
Tubby Smith fired at Memphis, per ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-21-win-season
SKane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:06 PM   #103
RedRocksIllini
apparently Thad said "No Thanks" to Georgia
RedRocksIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:22 PM   #104
HoopCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksIllini View Post
Maybe Louisville looks better ?
They need an honest coach.
HoopCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:40 PM   #105
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post
Maybe Louisville looks better ?
They need an honest coach.
Louisville fans would not be pleased with that hire.
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:28 PM   #106
RedRocksIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Has a Final Four coach ever been fired? Miller could be the first if Ayton keeps doing what he did to USC.
Frieder took another job/got told to get the h*** out right before his team won the national title. Obviously not the same thing.
RedRocksIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:08 PM   #107
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Matta turned down $5M a year for 5 years, said he wasn't ready yet.

Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:31 PM   #108
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Frieder took another job/got told to get the h*** out right before his team won the national title. Obviously not the same thing.
That's still one of my worst Illini memories that came during a great season. Steve Fisher goes 6-0 taking over for Frieder, including a nail-biter of a win over the beloved in the FF to get the NC. We beat them twice in conference play that year too.

Old Mar 14, 2018, 04:11 PM   #109
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
That's still one of my worst Illini memories that came during a great season. Steve Fisher goes 6-0 taking over for Frieder, including a nail-biter of a win over the beloved in the FF to get the NC. We thrashed them twice in conference play that year too.
fify

Plus, Larry took the charge on that final in-bounds play in the FF. Was that Ted Valentine or Jim Burr on the no call???
SeattleSlim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 04:16 PM   #110
LarryGotFouled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlim View Post
fify

Plus, Larry took the charge on that final in-bounds play in the FF. Was that Ted Valentine or Jim Burr on the no call???

I agree!! (obviously)
LarryGotFouled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:39 AM   #111
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
That's still one of my worst Illini memories that came during a great season. Steve Fisher goes 6-0 taking over for Frieder, including a nail-biter of a win over the beloved in the FF to get the NC. We beat them twice in conference play that year too.
Just watched the end of that replay. NOBODY blocked out. 4 Illini standing there watching the shot. Anderson was closest to Higgins.

We got out rebounded by 6 that game, and they beat the crap out of us inside with their height advantage. We bring that rebound down, go to OT, maybe a different story. Although Hamilton had fouled out, could have been tough.

That should have been Lou's National Championship!
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:45 AM   #112
LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Matta turned down $5M a year for 5 years, said he wasn't ready yet.
Leaves one curious what the real issue is as you do not travel to interviews if you are not ready.
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:18 AM   #113
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
Leaves one curious what the real issue is as you do not travel to interviews if you are not ready.
Correction on the dollar amount - Matta turned down $3M a year for 5 years, said he wasn't ready yet. In any event, a bunch of money turned down for maybe something better, be it money or school.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:55 AM   #114
SKane
Kermit Davis hired by Ole Miss:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...it-davis-coach
SKane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:05 PM   #115
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKane View Post
Really good hire for them. I'm glad he's finally taking his shot at a P5 school. Seems like a perfect fit.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:09 PM   #116
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKane View Post
58 years old. This has disaster written all over it. I don't think this is the job for him, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. He is from Mississippi and played at Miss St. Maybe Ole Miss knows what they're doing.
Ubermensch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:17 PM   #117
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Really good hire for them. I'm glad he's finally taking his shot at a P5 school. Seems like a perfect fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
58 years old. This has disaster written all over it. I don't think this is the job for him, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. He is from Mississippi and played at Miss St. Maybe Ole Miss knows what they're doing.
Hey! One of us is going to be right. 😉 Curious why you don't think it's the right job for him?

Old Mar 15, 2018, 05:48 PM   #118
Dan
Admin
Tom Crean is finalizing an agreement to become the next coach at Georgia, sources tell ESPN.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/974429570572210182
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:33 PM   #119
Centennial Illini
Went to Seattle for the Final Four. Had the worst seats in the history of basketball in Minneapolis for the Elite 8 game, had good seats in Seattle, justice.

Frieder was a buffoon as a coach but an incredible recruiter. By the end of the game he would look like Prof. Irwin Corey. Players never listened to him and quite often weren't prepared for the game.

That was a totally different Michigan on the floor that afternoon. Fisher had installed a sense of purpose and identity and with the talent they had, you knew it was going to be a battle. We were never able to get a lead late in the game that would allow us to dictate the pace.

If word had not leaked out about Frieder taking the ASU job, we are the national champs.
Centennial Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:47 PM   #120
LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Correction on the dollar amount - Matta turned down $3M a year for 5 years, said he wasn't ready yet. In any event, a bunch of money turned down for maybe something better, be it money or school.
Crean got $3.2M for 6 years out of them. So much for Georgia not spending money on their basketball program.
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2018, 08:46 AM   #121
FiveStar
Recruit Atlanta hard, the Carolinas and Florida and you got yourself a nice little bread basket down in GA
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2018, 06:42 PM   #122
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Recruit Atlanta hard, the Carolinas and Florida and you got yourself a nice little bread basket down in GA
Those 2 states are a pretty darn good recruiting territory.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2018, 09:23 PM   #123
homesickalien
Started wondering where Eric Musselman was going to end up after his run this year so I started looking at potential openings. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of movement unless the FBI investigation gets things heated up. Last year was crazy with the coaching turnover, but this year seems entirely different.
homesickalien is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2018, 01:24 AM   #124
ForWhomTheBellTolls
If I was an AD right now, unless my incumbent coach was both grossly incompetent and clearly not involved in the FBI shenanigans (like Pitt who couldn't afford to not to make a move given the dumpster fire there), I would wait a while to take action. If they were very competent, but I suspected they were playing dirty and would be caught up in the FBI matter, I might save myself a few bucks by waiting for a month or two to fire them (for cause); while if they were modestly incompetent but clean, there is so much uncertainty regarding the cleanliness of replacement candidates that I would wait to see what happened before making a move. Most mediocre programs can afford another year of bad basketball -- few mediocre programs can afford a scandal (nothing incurs the ire of fans like cheating and not winning).
ForWhomTheBellTolls is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2018, 05:28 AM   #125
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickalien View Post
Started wondering where Eric Musselman was going to end up after his run this year so I started looking at potential openings. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of movement unless the FBI investigation gets things heated up. Last year was crazy with the coaching turnover, but this year seems entirely different.

If the FBI forces Arizona's hand, I could see him landing there.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote