Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Basketball Uniforms

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 5, 2018, 04:11 PM   #26
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Just no more italics, please.

__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 05:11 PM   #27
orangeroses07
orangeroses07's Avatar
Location: Centralia, IL
Please don't mess this up again.

__________________
ILLINICARDINALSBLUESBULLSTITANSSALUKIS
orangeroses07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 05:40 PM   #28
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
My response to those people whose reactions to anything involving the rebrand is a reflexive, disgusted "kids these days with their rap 'n roll and eating their tide pods" is this:



Not only sharp, simple, and classic, but also so much stronger for incorporating branding which is ours and consistent across campus as opposed to generic, could-be-anybody create-a-jerseys.
You mean "ours" referring to branding is unique?




__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega

Last edited by georgeuremovich; Apr 5, 2018 at 05:52 PM.
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 06:04 PM   #29
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
Just no more italics, please.
We can have a discussion about whether we ought to crack open the brand identity to modify the font campus-wide, I am sympathetic to that viewpoint.

But these new jerseys next year are going to have the rebrand typeface. Love it or hate it, but don't hope for something different.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 06:05 PM   #30
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
You mean "ours" referring to branding is unique?
Right, you're actually making exactly my point. It's a simple, clean template that can work for anybody, but Illinois makes it Illinois using its unique branding standards.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 09:17 PM   #31
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Right, you're actually making exactly my point. It's a simple, clean template that can work for anybody, but Illinois makes it Illinois using its unique branding standards.
Arched "ILLINOIS" can be as clean as"1LL1NO1S and be longer-lasting, less subject to the whims of fashion. Just a matter of preference. In basketball., look at UCLA, Duke, UNC, Indiana, Kansas with minor variations to the theme in their unis, have remained pretty much the same over the years. Staying power.


__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega

Last edited by georgeuremovich; Apr 5, 2018 at 09:28 PM.
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2018, 09:53 PM   #32
Thor015
Like them
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:36 AM   #33
Poe's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
My response to those people whose reactions to anything involving the rebrand is a reflexive, disgusted "kids these days with their rap 'n roll and eating their tide pods" is this:



Not only sharp, simple, and classic, but also so much stronger for incorporating branding which is ours and consistent across campus as opposed to generic, could-be-anybody create-a-jerseys.
I love the uniform, but for me the Block I alone on the hat and the new font Illinois across the jersey seem mismatched. Not sure how to solve it. That's probably my biggest gripe with the new(ish) font set.
Poe's Law is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:39 AM   #34
PlayAZ
Don't like the Zig-Zag, don't like the 1ll1no1s either...classic arched with some new twist or a complete overall that doesn't look like an junior high kid did it.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:51 AM   #35
AnticipatedSerendipity
I actually hope that half the board hates the new uniforms... it'll mean that 99 percent of our recruits and players will love them
AnticipatedSerendipity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:58 AM   #36
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
Arched "ILLINOIS" can be as clean as"1LL1NO1S and be longer-lasting, less subject to the whims of fashion. Just a matter of preference.
I understand you don't like the font. I don't particularly like the font either, though I think it could be used better than it has been and this year's baseball unis prove that.

But the point is, it is a very very good thing to have football look like basketball look like baseball look like volleyball look like fightingillini.com look like the apparel the fans are wearing look like every piece of mail they send you. Consistent, unified branding creates a visual identity, and that's the whole point here.

Case in point is your Kansas example. Kansas basketball has had, in broad strokes, similar (but not remotely the same) uniforms forever. Kansas football has been all over the place. They went through a re-branding process some years back, standardizing their colors and creating a unified typeface, turning this:




Into this:





Huge upgrade both for the sports individually, but also the school as a whole. Admittedly, their font is better than ours. It's kind of quirky in its own way, that is assuredly not just plain block lettering, and it definitely looked weird when they first switched to it, but now it just looks like Kansas.


If we want to change the font campus-wide, it will take time and money to roll all of that out, but I would support that. But letting animus toward the font ruin the consistent branding standards by making piecemeal, sport-by-sport changes would be a huge mistake and actually put us MORE on the path of flavor-of-the-month trend chasing in our uniforms.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 09:34 AM   #37
coryfor3
Confession:

I have never liked the 1's in 1LL1NO1S.
I have never understood or bought the explanation of using the 1's. Seems like a real stretch to explain.
I don't get it and never have. I hope it goes away.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:54 AM   #38
NeaforThree
NeaforThree's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post



A bit off topic, but as someone who was born in Manhattan and follows KSU a bit as my "second team" man that silver and purple combo on the KSU unis is gorgeous.
NeaforThree is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:03 AM   #39
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeaforThree View Post
man that silver and purple combo on the KSU unis is gorgeous.
The dirty little secret in all of this is that orange and blue is not a very good color combo. We're fighting an uphill battle.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:21 AM   #40
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
The dirty little secret in all of this is that orange and blue is not a very good color combo. We're fighting an uphill battle.
Eh, it all depends. Different colors work better in different applications - that KSU silver and purple looks great for football, but would be a struggle for basketball.

We also need to use white on all of these sets. Florida's uniforms are orange and blue and they're gorgeous - not just because they win in them, but because they're balancing orange and (an admittedly brighter) blue with white. Using just two dark colors is difficult.


__________________
"Ron Matt Swanson Coldagelli - You are the funny version of GroundHogday." - krupalija chukwudebe

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:22 AM   #41
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Yeah, I should have said orange and navy, but I think you're probably right about the white.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:37 AM   #42
orangeroses07
orangeroses07's Avatar
Location: Centralia, IL


Auburn makes orange and navy blue work. Very clean look here, and their basketball uniforms are sharp as well Definitely needing white incorporated in some way on a blue/orange jersey.

__________________
ILLINICARDINALSBLUESBULLSTITANSSALUKIS
orangeroses07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:46 AM   #43
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
Auburn makes orange and navy blue work.
Auburn makes it work by relegating orange to strictly an accent color. Syracuse (at least basketball wise) makes it work by relegating blue to strictly an accent color.

Us and Virginia remain on the struggle bus.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 01:37 PM   #44
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I understand you don't like the font. I don't particularly like the font either, though I think it could be used better than it has been and this year's baseball unis prove that.

But the point is, it is a very very good thing to have football look like basketball look like baseball look like volleyball look like fightingillini.com look like the apparel the fans are wearing look like every piece of mail they send you. Consistent, unified branding creates a visual identity, and that's the whole point here.

Case in point is your Kansas example. Kansas basketball has had, in broad strokes, similar (but not remotely the same) uniforms forever. Kansas football has been all over the place. They went through a re-branding process some years back, standardizing their colors and creating a unified typeface, turning this:


Huge upgrade both for the sports individually, but also the school as a whole. Admittedly, their font is better than ours. It's kind of quirky in its own way, that is assuredly not just plain block lettering, and it definitely looked weird when they first switched to it, but now it just looks like Kansas.


If we want to change the font campus-wide, it will take time and money to roll all of that out, but I would support that. But letting animus toward the font ruin the consistent branding standards by making piecemeal, sport-by-sport changes would be a huge mistake and actually put us MORE on the path of flavor-of-the-month trend chasing in our uniforms.


I disagree that consistent branding across campus is desirable. A good example, tOSU, football/basketball don't match. USC, Texas, same in football/basketball. A separate basketball and football brand can be appealing as well. As far as basketball is concerned, I could accept a different font other than block(or whatever it is called), as long as it is arched(although arched block lettering is my preference), and that it is larger relative to the numerals than Michigan for example.

__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 02:06 PM   #45
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
A good example, tOSU, football/basketball don't match. USC, Texas, same in football/basketball.
Huh?

__________________
"Ron Matt Swanson Coldagelli - You are the funny version of GroundHogday." - krupalija chukwudebe

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 02:19 PM   #46
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
I disagree that consistent branding across campus is desirable. A good example, tOSU, football/basketball don't match. USC, Texas, same in football/basketball. A separate basketball and football brand can be appealing as well. As far as basketball is concerned, I could accept a different font other than block(or whatever it is called), as long as it is arched(although arched block lettering is my preference), and that it is larger relative to the numerals than Michigan for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Huh?
Numeral font doesn't match.

__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 02:42 PM   #47
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
Numeral font doesn't match.
Well, that's an EXTREMELY literal reading of "consistent branding." I mean, look at these:



Sure, those are different numerals, but they're both very standard, nearly non-descript number styles. If you were citing something like KU only using their Trajan font for one sport and not another, that'd be more analogous.

__________________
"Ron Matt Swanson Coldagelli - You are the funny version of GroundHogday." - krupalija chukwudebe

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 02:45 PM   #48
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
USC actually has been through the same Nike rebrand rigamarole we did. They match now:




A ton of otherwise sacrosanct "classic" football uniforms have gotten subtle changes to their number font to make them "unique" in the last few years. USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida, it's what's going around now.

Last edited by Second and Chalmers; Apr 6, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 02:57 PM   #49
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
My response to those people whose reactions to anything involving the rebrand is a reflexive, disgusted "kids these days with their rap 'n roll and eating their tide pods" is this:



Not only sharp, simple, and classic, but also so much stronger for incorporating branding which is ours and consistent across campus as opposed to generic, could-be-anybody create-a-jerseys.
The block on the cap really clashes with the "1" in the 1LL1NO1S.

I'll take the 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Edit--I didn't see the earlier, similar response before I posted from Page 1

__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 03:01 PM   #50
georgeuremovich
georgeuremovich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeuremovich View Post
I disagree that consistent branding across campus is desirable. A good example, tOSU, football/basketball don't match. USC, Texas, same in football/basketball. A separate basketball and football brand can be appealing as well. As far as basketball is concerned, I could accept a different font other than block(or whatever it is called), as long as it is arched(although arched block lettering is my preference), and that it is larger relative to the numerals than Michigan for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
USC actually has been through the same Nike rebrand rigamarole we did. They match now:



A ton of otherwise sacrosanct "classic" football uniforms have gotten subtle changes to their number font to make them "unique" in the last few years. USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida, it's what's going around now.
I stand corrected on USC, thanks.

__________________
"Bacon tastes goood. Pork chops taste goood." - Vincent Vega
georgeuremovich is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump