Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Mark Smith transferring to Missouri

Old Apr 15, 2018, 02:42 PM   #101
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
If leaving ILL was totally Mark Smith's decision, then according to those who post opinions, it was because Brad yelled at him and made him work hard. Well, what does he thing playing for Cuonzo is going to be like? As for Cuonzo, his greatest recruiting accomplishments are players he snatched from other teams. (The count is up to 4 now) If I'm a HS player, this does not cause me to want to go to Miznoz. As for the Braggin' Rights game, MS is not anywhere near as boo-able as Tilmon and Cuonzo. And now that Tilmon was a freshman flopperoo, not so much for him either. Actually, ILL fans should cheer for both Smith and Tilmon to be on the floor to rapidly pick up personals.
8 ppg on 56% shooting and 4 rpg in 19.5 mpg, for a true freshman big in a major conference is a flop?

Which of our non LB bigs would you have not traded for that stat line last year?
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 02:49 PM   #102
NewFan2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
8 ppg on 56% shooting and 4 rpg in 19.5 mpg, for a true freshman big in a major conference is a flop?

Which of our non LB bigs would you have not traded for that stat line last year?
3.7 fouls per game in those 19.5 as well. That's a lot of potential points given up as well.

Just saying.
NewFan2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 02:51 PM   #103
Tevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagee View Post
He Said:
“Takes a real man to pick on an 18-yr old for sticking close to home right after having one of the most disappointing years of his life”
What a difference a year makes. One year ago at this time Mark had completed a shocking and dominant year of high school hoops, was a recent Mr. Basketball and was trying to pick a scholarship among the flagship state school, Kentucky, Duke, and Michigan State, soon to be compared to Jason Kidd by his new coach.

Fast forward and he’s had a dismal year of basketball that seemed to hilight only his weaknesses, transferred schools, is now facing a sit-out year and will be booed by all the fans who used to profess love.

That can’t be much fun.
Tevo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 03:47 PM   #104
tpbradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdawg View Post
anyone else's mind go to... Did Cuonzo tamper with Smith while he was an Illini? IDK if probable but possible.
By “tamper,” do you mean take away his ability to drive and shoot? I wish that were the case.
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 04:26 PM   #105
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
???

We seemed to be all in?
All in probably would have meant waiting him out before accepting Feliz.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 04:44 PM   #106
imdball
imdball is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 04:56 PM   #107
Halloweenie
Mark Smith did not workout for us and I was underwhelmed by his athleticism. He is free to play where he wishes. We are free to boo him. We should refrain from being derogatory toward him and his family. Cuonzo can't be that terrible. He has been hired four times at the major college level. We would like him a lot better if he was our coach, assuming he would not get ys in trouble with our friends at the NCAA.
Halloweenie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:08 PM   #108
MadIllini4
Slightly off topic but Garrick McGee was just hired by Mizzou. Lol.
MadIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:10 PM   #109
msphdillini
Mark Smith was promised a lot when recruiting by then newly hired coach.."We will build a system around him" . Current hype recruit several times mentioned how hard Mark Smith was recruiting him.

Not just yelling but pulling out players after 30 seconds of play for making a mistake is not the best way to learn the system. Several kids left BU and there is a reason for that.

As much as I hate Misery, all the best for Mark Smith - I am confident he will play at the next level.
msphdillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:21 PM   #110
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritster View Post
However, remember he committed to Miznoz first to play baseball.
I wouldn’t be 100%surprised if he ended up switching to baseball during his time at Missouri That’s not a knock on him either.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:24 PM   #111
squeezegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post

Pretty sure those major conference stats you quoted came against non major competition... once season started... minutes disappeared
squeezegame is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:51 PM   #112
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by msphdillini View Post
Mark Smith was promised a lot when recruiting by then newly hired coach.."We will build a system around him" . Current hype recruit several times mentioned how hard Mark Smith was recruiting him.

Not just yelling but pulling out players after 30 seconds of play for making a mistake is not the best way to learn the system. Several kids left BU and there is a reason for that.

As much as I hate Misery, all the best for Mark Smith - I am confident he will play at the next level.
what about when they get beat backdoor 1000000000000 times in one game for alleys?

Gotta be in the game to get beat backdoor like that.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:24 PM   #113
RickBB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post

I wouldn’t be 100%surprised if he ended up switching to baseball during his time at Missouri That’s not a knock on him either.
I'm curious why people believe Smith is any type of baseball prospect at this time when he's basically not played that sport for at least 2 years.
RickBB is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:54 PM   #114
helppitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by msphdillini View Post

If you mean, he will play in the NBA, I'll gladly take that bet.
helppitch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 09:06 PM   #115
IlliniCyborg
Nice post Hummus. The Mark Smith recruitment began in January from Cuonzo's people. This is not a surprise and follows the timeline of when he began meddling with Tyler Cook. He has also has not been the most compliant of coaches when it comes to Liddell either. Cuonzo doesn't believe the NCAA dead periods apply to him.
IlliniCyborg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 03:05 AM   #116
pruman91
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...5daaf034f.html

“I feel like (Martin) has my best interests in mind and we just have a very good relationship,” Smith said in a phone interview Sunday. “I like the fact that it’s a family atmosphere and he really wants what’s best for me. And I like their style of play.”

“He was bounced around a little bit from the one (point guard) to the two (shooting guard) to the three (wing) and it seemed like he played more of the three,” Yvonne Smith said. “I can only just stress it wasn’t the right system for him. That’s all I’m going to say.”

(sure would like to hear what BU privately thinks of the parents and MS' ability to play the point )

MS was lost in B1G play...a step slow and poor shooting %,,,terrible defense and prone to fouling....

I'm very happy with the trade of MS for any of the new recruits.

Illini are Walken on sunshine

Last edited by Dan; Apr 16, 2018 at 06:09 AM.
pruman91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:25 AM   #117
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruman91 View Post

“I feel like (Martin) has my best interests in mind and we just have a very good relationship,” Smith said in a phone interview Sunday. “I like the fact that it’s a family atmosphere and he really wants what’s best for me. And I like their style of play.”

“He was bounced around a little bit from the one (point guard) to the two (shooting guard) to the three (wing) and it seemed like he played more of the three,” Yvonne Smith said. “I can only just stress it wasn’t the right system for him. That’s all I’m going to say.”

(sure would like to hear what BU privately thinks of the parents and MS' ability to play the point )

MS was lost in B1G play...a step slow and poor shooting %,,,terrible defense and prone to fouling....

MS: "I wish them the best of luck with Coach Underwood and the staff. I know he's going to sign players that fit his system. They're going to do great in the future. "

I wish MS the very best and a shot at playing pro somewhere. I think an off year to work on his fundamentals will be great for him.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:32 AM   #118
Verified Insider
Quote:

I hope it works out for Mark Smith, and he lives his dream.

But man.....he's a long, long way to go from being a high-major PG. Blame the system all you want, but he and those close to him need to honestly evaluate his own ability to play the PG -- and do what's necessary to get him to where he needs to be.

Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:45 AM   #119
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
I hope it works out for Mark Smith, and he lives his dream.

But man.....he's a long, long way to go from being a high-major PG. Blame the system all you want, but he and those close to him need to honestly evaluate his own ability to play the PG -- and do what's necessary to get him to where he needs to be.
I agree... I think he lived with a power game in the past and really didnt develop speed and quickness to be a lead PG. unlike some, I do believe quickness can be developed or at least enhanced. Watching ML quickness from his Illini days to his NBA time (albeit jusspot minutes)is an example... big enhancement for him since getting to league.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 05:04 AM   #120
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:

This is code for "We miss nice, soft-guy JG". Seriously, the comment about "That's all I'm going to say" should have been left unsaid as BU has respectfully held his tongue. MS needs to develop not only his quickness, but toughness against good players - something not playing AAU was not exposed. And playing 1,2,3? Yes, BU gave him every chance to play - he was given his chance. Helicopter parenting is pretty evident here.

Last edited by Dan; Apr 16, 2018 at 06:10 AM.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 05:32 AM   #121
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIllini35 View Post
This is code for "We miss nice, soft-guy JG". Seriously, the comment about "That's all I'm going to say" should have been left unsaid as BU has respectfully held his tongue. MS needs to develop not only his quickness, but toughness against good players - something not playing AAU was not exposed. And playing 1,2,3? Yes, BU gave him every chance to play - he was given his chance. Helicopter parenting is pretty evident here.

I completely understand his/their desire to play the PG position. But don't blame "the system" because Mark was not ready to play that position at the college level.

"The system" isn't what relegated Mark to the 2/3 position -- and eventually the bench. Trent Frazier being 100 times better at the PG position is what relegated Smith to the 2/3. And frankly, Smith should be grateful that the staff give him as many minutes and opportunities as they did. His stat line in conference play doesn't need to be repeated here, but it was evident that as competition level went up, Smith simply could not compete with consistency.

I feel as though I spent half the season refuting the argument that "Smith's #s are similar to Deron and DMac and Luther and other freshman guards!". Those guys got noticeably better as the season went on, and their Big Ten #s were better than their non-conference #s. Smith was just the opposite. So, did "the system" suddenly change mid-season? Or rather, did the step up in competition expose the fact that Smith still needs a lot of work to compete at this level?

Pretty clear it's the latter. And don't blame "the system" for that.......unless, of course, you're looking for a system that relies on a slow PG who lacks lateral quickness and can't guard opposing PGs. In that case, yes.....our system wasn't suited for him.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 05:47 AM   #122
Joel Goodson
Quote:
I completely understand his/their desire to play the PG position. But don't blame "the system" because Mark was not ready to play that position at the college level.

"The system" isn't what relegated Mark to the 2/3 position -- and eventually the bench. Trent Frazier being 100 times better at the PG position is what relegated Smith to the 2/3. And frankly, Smith should be grateful that the staff give him as many minutes and opportunities as they did. His stat line in conference play doesn't need to be repeated here, but it was evident that as competition level went up, Smith simply could not compete with consistency.

I feel as though I spent half the season refuting the argument that "Smith's #s are similar to Deron and DMac and Luther and other freshman guards!". Those guys got noticeably better as the season went on, and their Big Ten #s were better than their non-conference #s. Smith was just the opposite. So, did "the system" suddenly change mid-season? Or rather, did the step up in competition expose the fact that Smith still needs a lot of work to compete at this level?

Pretty clear it's the latter. And don't blame "the system" for that.......unless, of course, you're looking for a system that relies on a slow PG who lacks lateral quickness and can't guard opposing PGs. In that case, yes.....our system wasn't suited for him.
game, set, match!
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 06:01 AM   #123
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:

He clearly wasn't suited for a system of tough, quick on ball defense. Packline will be better for him but he still needs to develop BBIQ - e.g. don't take the ball into 7 footers and expect to dunk on them.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 07:03 AM   #124
thrillini
Quote:

Zingy... and hard to argue with.
thrillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 07:38 AM   #125
coryfor3
He plays for Mizzou now. He's a non-entity to me now. Whatever.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote