Dont tease me!
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 04:47 PM   #3
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
Dont tease me!
Probably thinking people will be begging him to stay. Always ego first. I thought the blond haired red during the minn game was actually trying to show up BU trying to push him back to the is hthe s box while little Ricky got to roam the court.
VAIllini35 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
gibb52
Teddy was on full display at the Bragging Rights game. Strutted around like royalty, made every call as dramatically as possible.
gibb52 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:24 PM   #5
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
Teddy was on full display at the Bragging Rights game. Strutted around like royalty, made every call as dramatically as possible.
True, but there'll always be a little soft spot in my heart for the beat-down he put on Knight.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:31 PM   #6
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Pleeeeeaaaaaase.

Maybe he'll negotiate some kind of live TV retirement announcement.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 08:38 PM   #7
redriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
True, but there'll always be a little soft spot in my heart for the beat-down he put on Knight.
He is a very good ref, as his assignments show. One of the very, very few to stand up to Knight. The whole TV Ted garbage was because of that game. Initiated by hick hoosier fans. So much for the herd.
redriver is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 09:46 PM   #8
blmillini
Teddy is one of those rare referees that makes calls that absolutely nobody else sees, even on replay. Those are the officials that in my opinion went the attention on themselves.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 05:51 AM   #9
DCIllini2001
Banned
Long overdue.
DCIllini2001 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:24 AM   #10
doowink
doowink is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:30 AM   #11
sbillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriver View Post
He is a very good ref, as his assignments show. One of the very, very few to stand up to Knight. The whole TV Ted garbage was because of that game. Initiated by hick hoosier fans. So much for the herd.
If the hoosier's incident was the only example of TV Ted's "TV'ness", I'd agree. But....
sbillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Poe's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriver View Post
In fairness, there is probably some confirmation bias on my part based on the confidence level displayed on obviously wrong (from the comfort of my living room TV) calls, but my initial reaction is I assumed he had dirt on somebody to get his assignments.
Poe's Law is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:46 AM   #13
CoalCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe's Law View Post
In fairness, there is probably some confirmation bias on my part based on the confidence level displayed on obviously wrong (from the comfort of my living room TV) calls, but my initial reaction is I assumed he had dirt on somebody to get his assignments.
LOL.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:21 AM   #14
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I was sitting behind the basket, 3rd row when Illinois played Auburn in Atlanta, and the seats are really, really close to the floor. Ted's assignment had him in that corner of the court a big chunk of the time and I came away with almost 2 different opinions of him--

When the cameras were off--pre-game and commercials--he's a very amiable guy. He was talking to the arena staff, people close to the court, etc. and seemed like a genuinely good guy.

While the game is going on, he's performing. He's a good ref, and his numbers and reviews support it, but they guy definitely plays to the camera. But the other thing I'll concede to him, and the camera doesn't always pick this up--if he makes a call that a player doesn't like, he goes back to that player and talks about it. The handful of times I saw that fairly close, it was a constructive conversation and the players seemed to walk away understanding why they got that call.

To compare him to another b-ball personality, I'd say he's a lot like Dickie V. Loves the spotlight, has the ability to alienate people with his persona, but overall understands the game and his job.

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Joel Goodson
He should be a contestant on America's Biggest Diva.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:57 AM   #16
FeelYourPaign
I think he is a very good ref who loves the camera and is an overly dramatic persona. However, I do think he has actually toned it down just a little bit over the last 5 years. Not enough for my tastes, but I've come to peace with TVT and would not complain a bit if he continued to do games. That is a change for me. One man's opinion, obviously.

Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:13 PM   #17
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
I think he is a very good ref who loves the camera and is an overly dramatic persona. However, I do think he has actually toned it down just a little bit over the last 5 years. Not enough for my tastes, but I've come to peace with TVT and would not complain a bit if he continued to do games. That is a change for me. One man's opinion, obviously.
If some of these games this year have taught me anything, TVT at least in the top half of refs out there, in terms of getting calls correct. I know its recency bias but I swear reffing gets worse every year. I'd even say TVT has calm down this year considerably. I didnt even realize he was reffing a game of ours until the end of the first half!
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Illini Parent14
We all know that theoretically, home court should not matter to college basketball referees, but we also know that, in reality, it matters a lot. The Illini never get a call from TV Teddy at home. In fact, time and time again, we usually get the nut-crunching call late (usually with a TV flourish) to ruin the evening for Illini fans. Not a fan of Ted Valentine, no matter how many Final Fours he has worked.
Illini Parent14 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 06:34 PM   #19
BWilson25
He’s a clown but I hate refs
BWilson25 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:23 PM   #20
Ol Dirty Gamer
Bye Felicia.

Sick of a ref acting like heís bigger than the game. Nobody pays to see him. No one cares.
Ol Dirty Gamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 08:27 PM   #21
BillyBob1
Saw him today. Maybe he's waiting till the end of the year.
BillyBob1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:40 AM   #22
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
From the OP's link - "something that happened in the battle of the game".

Uhh, you're not in "the battle". My biggest gripe about refs.
I Bomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:11 PM   #23
IlliniFin86
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lina-tar-heels

Valentine apologized to UNCís Berry.
IlliniFin86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:28 PM   #24
IlliniFin86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
I was sitting behind the basket, 3rd row when Illinois played Auburn in Atlanta, and the seats are really, really close to the floor. Ted's assignment had him in that corner of the court a big chunk of the time and I came away with almost 2 different opinions of him--

When the cameras were off--pre-game and commercials--he's a very amiable guy. He was talking to the arena staff, people close to the court, etc. and seemed like a genuinely good guy.

While the game is going on, he's performing. He's a good ref, and his numbers and reviews support it, but they guy definitely plays to the camera. But the other thing I'll concede to him, and the camera doesn't always pick this up--if he makes a call that a player doesn't like, he goes back to that player and talks about it. The handful of times I saw that fairly close, it was a constructive conversation and the players seemed to walk away understanding why they got that call.

To compare him to another b-ball personality, I'd say he's a lot like Dickie V. Loves the spotlight, has the ability to alienate people with his persona, but overall understands the game and his job.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ling/86816584/

This story matches what you are saying. I have always thought Valentine was one of the best and actually like it when he calls an Illinois game.
IlliniFin86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:29 PM   #25
Spoon House
Classy of Valentine to do that.