Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2018 Illinois Baseball

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2018, 04:57 PM   #1
illinifaninwi
Illinois was scheduled to play this weekend in Texas. However, this interesting story says otherwise. The most recent Twitter post indicates they may have found a solution.

As for the team, the Illini should have a strong lineup and solid defense. Pitching is key as the only certainly is Joey Gerber in the closing role.
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
#ILLINI WIN

Sliding to a five-game winning streak.
Coastal Carolina
VCU
No. 11 UCLA
Arizona
Washington
https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...31249318756352
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
#ILLINI WIN

Sliding to a five-game winning streak.
Coastal Carolina
VCU
No. 11 UCLA
Arizona
Washington
https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...31249318756352
A really good defense, solid pitching and timely hitting has led the Illini. Bren Spillane is really, really good.
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
#ILLINI WWWWWWWIN

Seven in a row.

https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...78726805458944
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Hey, top 25. #Illini

https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...91178169483264
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:35 PM   #6
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Denver
Its great to be ranked, its an acknowledgment of what you've accomplished.
Way to go, Illini

__________________
Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than to your comfort zone.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:18 AM   #7
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Its great to be ranked, its an acknowledgment of what you've accomplished.
Way to go, Illini
Bren Spillane is really, really good at hitting baseballs. This team is solid with exception of having a dominant ace. Ty Weber should be the Friday starter sooner than later.

Go Illini!
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2018, 09:45 PM   #8
ilphotog
The camera never lies
ilphotog's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Bren hit two today, one was a wind aided gift, the other a bomb!
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 06:28 AM   #9
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Today's No. 5 play in the country...

https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...05601929633793
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 07:29 AM   #10
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Today's No. 5 play in the country...

https://twitter.com/IlliniBaseball/s...05601929633793
Illinois swept a bad but improving Northwestern team and is now 15-5 (3-0) on the season. Next up is Bradley and then Iowa at home on the weekend.
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 09:24 AM   #11
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 09:58 AM   #12
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!
A NCAA bid should be very attainable if pitching continues to progress. Hitting and defense is good.
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Formermi
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifaninwi View Post
A NCAA bid should be very attainable if pitching continues to progress. Hitting and defense is good.
I got to see this team at the Coastal Carolina tournament and their bats were legit.
Formermi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 01:47 PM   #14
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
BananaShampoo's Avatar
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!
If only we could combine that 2015 team's pitching with this current team's batting. We'd be pretty much unbeatable.

__________________
C-U/UIUC Historian and Lover of all Things Illini
BananaShampoo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 01:51 PM   #15
illinipioneer
Location: Johnson City, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!
I'm with you, I find the lead up to and the actual CWS is a lot of fun to follow in the early summer....much more so if our Illini are tearing it up
illinipioneer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 01:58 PM   #16
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipioneer View Post
I'm with you, I find the lead up to and the actual CWS is a lot of fun to follow in the early summer....much more so if our Illini are tearing it up
Recruiting has significantly improved beginning with the Bren Spillane class. The incoming group is excellent. This program is definitely on the upswing.
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 02:18 PM   #17
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifaninwi View Post
Recruiting has significantly improved beginning with the Bren Spillane class. The incoming group is excellent. This program is definitely on the upswing.

__________________
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Peoria Illini
Location: Peoria, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifaninwi View Post
Recruiting has significantly improved beginning with the Bren Spillane class. The incoming group is excellent. This program is definitely on the upswing.
What's been the cause of the improvement in recruiting? Hartlieb's been here a while. Do we have newer assistant coaches that are getting the kids in here?
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2018, 09:12 AM   #19
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
What's been the cause of the improvement in recruiting? Hartlieb's been here a while. Do we have newer assistant coaches that are getting the kids in here?
Any idea why the game at Bradley was cancelled? I might have been looking at an old schedule, but now we are playing Chicago Concordia or something at home instead.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2018, 09:16 AM   #20
FollowTisdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
Any idea why the game at Bradley was cancelled? I might have been looking at an old schedule, but now we are playing Chicago Concordia or something at home instead.
Peoria got a foot of snow Saturday, I'm sure that played into it.
FollowTisdale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2018, 01:44 PM   #21
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
What's been the cause of the improvement in recruiting? Hartlieb's been here a while. Do we have newer assistant coaches that are getting the kids in here?
Baseball recruiting is a crapshoot. The top players are likely to get recruited by the pros right out of high school, but that doesn't occur until after they have committed to college, typically. At that point, they have to weigh the pro offer vs. the college offer. The outcome of a given recruiting class can hinge on two or three of those decisions by 17 year olds.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2018, 08:41 PM   #22
GGGFightingIllini18
Today was a pretty cool day. I'm currently a grad assistant at Concordia Chicago and work in the athletics department. Our baseball team is very good and today was a very cool moment around our university and our baseball program to be playing Illinois.

Having played college baseball before and Illinois being my favorite school, this was a very cool day for me to watch.

Go Illini
GGGFightingIllini18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2018, 01:50 AM   #23
ilphotog
The camera never lies
ilphotog's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Bren hit 2 more Home Runs tonight, a couple steals and scored 3 runs.
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2018, 07:40 AM   #24
illinifaninwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
Baseball recruiting is a crapshoot. The top players are likely to get recruited by the pros right out of high school, but that doesn't occur until after they have committed to college, typically. At that point, they have to weigh the pro offer vs. the college offer. The outcome of a given recruiting class can hinge on two or three of those decisions by 17 year olds.
It's all about early identification. Verbal commitments are given early (sophomore/junior years). The Illini had a couple of classes that didn't pan out. Luke Shilling (huge arm but little production yet) and Bren Spillane were nationally regarded prospects drafted out of high school. Dan Hartleb also has one of the best pitching coaches in Drew Dickinson. Dickinson was a major influence in developing Tyler Jay and Cody Sedlock and is especially good at identifying bullpen arms.

There is never a can't miss prospect but the incoming class has a ton of potential with two likely 2018 MLB draftees in pitcher Aidan Maldonado and catcher Jacob Campbell and shortstop Branden Comia is also a national recruit.

Go Illini!
illinifaninwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:16 PM   #25
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifaninwi View Post
It's all about early identification. Verbal commitments are given early (sophomore/junior years). The Illini had a couple of classes that didn't pan out. Luke Shilling (huge arm but little production yet) and Bren Spillane were nationally regarded prospects drafted out of high school. Dan Hartleb also has one of the best pitching coaches in Drew Dickinson. Dickinson was a major influence in developing Tyler Jay and Cody Sedlock and is especially good at identifying bullpen arms.

There is never a can't miss prospect but the incoming class has a ton of potential with two likely 2018 MLB draftees in pitcher Aidan Maldonado and catcher Jacob Campbell and shortstop Branden Comia is also a national recruit.

Go Illini!
Hasn't Shilling been injured?
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump