Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Kevin Anderson

Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Peoria Illini
Kevin Anderson is currently in the 4th set, up 2 sets to 1 against Gabe Monfils in the 4th round of Wimbledon.

If he wins, he advances to the QF where he will face number 1 seed, Roger Federer.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/1402.html
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Kevin Anderson is currently in the 4th set, up 2 sets to 1 against Gabe Monfils in the 4th round of Wimbledon.

If he wins, he advances to the QF where he will face number 1 seed, Roger Federer.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/1402.html
Wow! 7/6, 7/6, 5/7, 7/6. I am guessing there were not many service breaks.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
he advances to the QF where he will face number 1 seed, Roger Federer.
As a big Fed fan, I'm conflicted!
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
As a big Fed fan, I'm conflicted!
No conflict for me. Fed's won enough, LOL!!! Go get em' Big Kevin!!!

Regarding service breaks, not a ton, but more than you'd think. Anderson had a couple of opportunities in the 4th set to break Monfils and put it away, but Monfils pulled out some great points.

If Anderson is serving well, he could give Federer a run.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 01:26 PM   #5
BRucks
Quote:
No conflict for me. Fed's won enough, LOL!!! Go get em' Big Kevin!!!

Regarding service breaks, not a ton, but more than you'd think. Anderson had a couple of opportunities in the 4th set to break Monfils and put it away, but Monfils pulled out some great points.

If Anderson is serving well, he could give Federer a run.
Anderson is 0-fer in his career vs. Federer. But then, so is most everyone else.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
Anderson is 0-fer in his career vs. Federer. But then, so is most everyone else.
He hadn't beat Monfils before either. Monfils was 5-0 against KA, but they had never played on grass before.

Federer is 4-0 against KA. Never dropped a set to him yet. But also, they have never played on grass before.

The QF is the furthest that KA has ever gone at Wimbledon. Everyone is expecting a Federer v Nadal final. Here's hoping KA spoils that!!!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 09:07 AM   #7
chiefini
This match is being played now, in the fifth set-Tied 2 each. RF won the first two, Kevin the last two! Come on, Kevin! I-L-L

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)

Last edited by chiefini; Jul 11, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 09:22 AM   #8
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Now tied 3-3 in the 5th. Go, Mr. Anderson!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Old Jul 11, 2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Second and Chalmers
Man, every time Federer gets in trouble he just goes up another gear.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Peoria Illini
Tied 5-5 in the fifth set!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Peoria Illini
Tied 6-6 in the 5th set. At Wimbeldon, there is no 5th set tiebreaker. Have to win the last set by 2 games. We'll see how long this lasts!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:27 AM   #12
IlliniFace
Anderson wins, what a great match.
IlliniFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:28 AM   #13
IlliniFace
Also, loved the University of Illinois mention in the 3rd set about how he met his wife.
IlliniFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Serious Late
Location: Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Charleston via Peoria
What an epic match, congrats Kevin!

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Second and Chalmers
That 5th set was insanity. What a performance.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:31 AM   #16
chiefini
Unbelievable match! Felt like I was holding my breath for hours...Congratulations, Kevin! Illini Nation is SO very proud of and happy for you!

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Illiniwek06
BANG!
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:49 AM   #18
Krush 2010
First post here, but felt this one was worthwhile to set up an account for. That 5th set was pure, white knuckle, sit back and enjoy it tennis watching for me. I watched the first 2 sets before I left for work and decided to check on the score to see how it ended. When I saw it was tied 8-8 in the 5th I decided to go somewhere and find a TV. What a match!
Krush 2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 02:25 PM   #19
Peoria Illini
Great accomplishment for KA!

Up next is American John Isner.

Isner played at Georgia, and Georgia beat Illinois for the team title in the 2007 NCAA men's tennis title (on Georgia's home court). Isner beat Anderson in the #1 singles spot, so Kevin has some payback!!!

Professionally, Isner holds an 8-3 advantage head to head, although they haven't met since 2015.

KA is guaranteed around $750,000 payday, and should move up to at least 6th in the ATP ranking, a career high for KA!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Isner played at Georgia, and Georgia beat Illinois for the team title in the 2007 NCAA men's tennis title (on Georgia's home court). Isner beat Anderson in the #1 singles spot, so Kevin has some payback!!!
That's amazing. Hopefully ESPN can dig up some footage.

I wonder if Craig Tiley will be in the house?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 07:54 PM   #21
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
That's amazing. Hopefully ESPN can dig up some footage.

I wonder if Craig Tiley will be in the house?
Tiley attends all of the majors. Dancer is on a family vacation but had plans to travel to England if Anderson was still playing once Dancer got home. Not sure when that was going to be.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 07:13 AM   #22
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRucks View Post
Tiley attends all of the majors. Dancer is on a family vacation but had plans to travel to England if Anderson was still playing once Dancer got home. Not sure when that was going to be.
"Craig Tiley, the guy who helped build the Illinois program into a power, was at the All England Club for Anderson's big win on Wednesday. With a smile on his face."

"Current Illinois men's tennis coach Brad Dancer is going to England to support his former player. He will be at the semifinal and hopes to stay for the rest of the weekend.

"Dancer was scrambling Wednesday to make travel arrangements. Count on the ESPN cameras to find him in the stands Friday. The network loves crowd shots."

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...yed-champ.html
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 07:44 AM   #23
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
"Craig Tiley, the guy who helped build the Illinois program into a power, was at the All England Club for Anderson's big win on Wednesday. With a smile on his face."

"Current Illinois men's tennis coach Brad Dancer is going to England to support his former player. He will be at the semifinal and hopes to stay for the rest of the weekend.

"Dancer was scrambling Wednesday to make travel arrangements. Count on the ESPN cameras to find him in the stands Friday. The network loves crowd shots."

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...yed-champ.html
Awesome!!!

ESPN has already started playing the Isner and the USA angle, since it's been a long time since an American won Wimbledon. I'm sure they'll dig up some info on the NCAA link as well.

A lot of beef and hard serving in this matchup. Anderson is 6'8" and Isner is about 6'10".
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:41 AM   #24
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Awesome!!!

ESPN has already started playing the Isner and the USA angle, since it's been a long time since an American won Wimbledon. I'm sure they'll dig up some info on the NCAA link as well.

A lot of beef and hard serving in this matchup. Anderson is 6'8" and Isner is about 6'10".
Yep. It's been 18 years since Sampras last won in, after Americans pretty much dominated the '90s (Sampras, Agassi). Have to imagine Anderson making it this far and Dancer probably getting some crowd shots is an amazing recruiting tool to use for the program.

Old Jul 13, 2018, 07:16 AM   #25
Peoria Illini
KA wins the first set in a tiebreaker! No service breaks in the first set.

Brad Dancer and Georgia's coach have a bet on this match:

https://twitter.com/dancerbrad/statu...58716621377537