Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Coaching Carousel

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:47 PM   #5376
Tevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
Martin to Mizzou, would be about the worst thing for the ILLINI that could happen in regards to home base recruiting being affected...Martin will own St. Louis if he is at Mizzou.
Considering Martin's clear inability to make programs much better than he inherits, we'll be fine if he goes to Mizzou.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 08:33 AM   #5377
illiniwil
if Martin goes to Missouri he is probably not our number one choice.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 08:49 AM   #5378
sdfidaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwil View Post
👍🏻
Old Feb 13, 2017, 08:49 AM   #5379
PlayAZ
Whether he makes programs better or not, so far is not an indication that it affects his ability to recruit top talent as evidenced at Cal....

If he owns St. Louis, and we continue to struggle getting top tier talent from Chicago, then the program will continue to be in stuck in mediocrity and may never recover regardless of coach in place....that said I am not advocating he MUST be the next coach, maybe maybe not based on all options. I am simply not wanting him at Mizzou, with his recruiting abilities.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:01 AM   #5380
Thor015
Looking forward to getting "The FULL Monty Williams" or is it the ILL Monty?? in orange and blue. Either way he would be a sick hire.

ILL!!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:05 AM   #5381
FollowTisdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwil View Post
Exactly. If he goes to Mizzery "over" Illinois, it's because Illinois didn't have interest. And that's not even a homer fan opinion, I'm pretty sure no college basketball coach in their right mind makes that choice with comparable offers on the table.

And if he does go to Mizzou, I doubt that automatically means Tilmon and others will follow him. Because in that scenario, we hired someone even better than Cuonzo, and the excitement will be firmly on Illinois, not Miznoz.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:07 AM   #5382
Fighter of the Nightman
It is truly amazing to see what some down years does to the psyche of some of our fans. Illinois is an OBJECTIVELY better job, especially right now, than Missouri, and Cuonzo either has a personal reason we don't know about (being from East St. Louis makes you AT LEAST as naturally connected to Illini basketball as it does to MU hoops) or wasn't offered by us if that's where he ends up.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:13 AM   #5383
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor015 View Post
Looking forward to getting "The FULL Monty Williams" or is it the ILL Monty?? in orange and blue. Either way he would be a sick hire.

ILL!!
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(307.8 KB, 455 views)

Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:15 AM   #5384
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor015 View Post

ILL!!
I'm starting to lean Monty. I'd be happy with Cuonzo, too, but the idea of Monty with Anthony Grant as associate head coach and lead recruiter is intriguing. I haven't heard of any slam-dunk options out there, but maybe that's because it's still way early. Hmm.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:15 AM   #5385
HC Illini
HC Illini
Or Tracy Webster is telling Zo they should go to Mizzou. I'd go with that one.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:43 AM   #5386
IlliniMed
If we get a new HC this offseason it will be an NBA hire. Whitman wants to make a splash (that makes sense)... this would make sense.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:45 AM   #5387
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajagoogoo View Post
but the idea of Monty with Anthony Grant as associate head coach and lead recruiter is intriguing.
Intriguing but not very realistic. Anthony Grant is re-building his career and has made significant strides towards eventually getting another HC opportunity. He was a very successful coach at VCU and a fantastic recruiter for Donovan (Florida), so it does not make much sense to start over again as an assistant level and recruiter in college especially at a risky rebuilding undertaking at Illinois.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:54 AM   #5388
IlliniBone
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMed View Post
If we get a new HC this offseason it will be an NBA hire. Whitman wants to make a splash (that makes sense)... this would make sense.
Just because Lovie is a former NFL coach doesnt mean Whitman is going to exclusively hire former pro coaches. There are quite a few college coaches that would make a bigger splash than someone like Monty Williams.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:58 AM   #5389
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBone View Post
Just because Lovie is a former NFL coach doesnt mean Whitman is going to exclusively hire former pro coaches. There are quite a few college coaches that would make a bigger splash than someone like Monty Williams.
Yes, and many of those coaches have been discussed already within this thread.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:02 AM   #5390
Fighter of the Nightman
Not trying to set anyone up for disappointment, but let's not undershoot Whitman, either. I don't think anyone thought Lovie was remotely possible.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:03 AM   #5391
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Intriguing but not very realistic. Anthony Grant is re-building his career and has made significant strides towards eventually getting another HC opportunity. He was a very successful coach at VCU and a fantastic recruiter for Donovan (Florida), so it does not make much sense to start over again as an assistant level and recruiter in college especially at a risky rebuilding undertaking at Illinois.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:14 AM   #5392
DMan42
Quote:
You're all over the place, man. Sheesh.
Tornado's thinking it's Randy Ayers instead of Anthony Grant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:15 AM   #5393
TCTORNADO
Quote:
You're all over the place, man. Sheesh.
Not really, see my pic in post #5383. Recognize 'em??
Haha DMan beat me to it.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:21 AM   #5394
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Not really, see my pic in post #5383. Recognize 'em??
Haha DMan beat me to it.
Ayers would be an assistant at the collegiate level in his 60s? I'm guessing that means his options are pretty dry.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:21 AM   #5395
skibdaddy
Would Monty Williams, the family man who disappeared from basketball for awhile to be a parent to his 5 kids after his wife was killed in a car crash, be willing to put aside his family to become a college coach for the first time at an unfamiliar university that has been majorly struggling or would he rather stay in his current position as a behind the scenes operations guy who can probably set his own hours?

As great of a guy and as great of a coach he may be, I can't see him pushing his kids to the side while he picks up a 24/7/365 days a year job for a couple extra bucks.

I trust Whitman will make the best hire possible, but I doubt it will be Monty.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:37 AM   #5396
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLHangOut View Post
I agree Weber was ultimately a disaster, but I think the real mistake is that he wasn't fired after the 07-08 season when we went 16-19, and had the worst recruiting class in the Big10 coming in.
IIRC, Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson, and Jereme Richmond were all committed at that point. I think that gave him extra slack at the time.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:43 AM   #5397
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibdaddy View Post
Would Monty Williams, the family man who disappeared from basketball for awhile to be a parent to his 5 kids after his wife was killed in a car crash, be willing to put aside his family to become a college coach for the first time at an unfamiliar university that has been majorly struggling or would he rather stay in his current position as a behind the scenes operations guy who can probably set his own hours?

As great of a guy and as great of a coach he may be, I can't see him pushing his kids to the side while he picks up a 24/7/365 days a year job for a couple extra bucks.

I trust Whitman will make the best hire possible, but I doubt it will be Monty.
I think this Monty video explains his desire to return to coaching, including his kid's desire for him to do it too. His in laws are in San Antonio currently helping him. Keep in mind that the in laws are from the Midwest/SW Michigan. As I also posted yesterday, his oldest daughter is at Wheaton College.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17169437
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:47 AM   #5398
ILHoff
Quote:
Ayers would be an assistant at the collegiate level in his 60s? I'm guessing that means his options are pretty dry.
I like the idea of Monty, but I'm with you on Ayers. If he made someone like Dennis Gates the associate head coach I would be excited.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:48 AM   #5399
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I think this Monty video explains his desire to return to coaching, including his kid's desire for him to do it too. His in laws are in San Antonio currently helping him. Keep in mind that the in laws are from the Midwest/SW Michigan. As I also posted yesterday, his oldest daughter is at Wheaton College.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17169437
With this in mind, is there anything legitimately out there that says Monty is interested in the Illini job or that Whitman is interested in him? It's clear Colangelo is pushing for him to GET the job. (Otherwise, I doubt Loren Tate would mention it in a column as that's not his style.) But does Whitman WANT Monty, and just as importantly, does Monty WANT Illinois?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:49 AM   #5400
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
I like the idea of Monty, but I'm with you on Ayers. If he made someone like Dennis Gates the associate head coach I would be excited.
Bingo. Give me a known great recruiter/coach who is considered a potential future head-coaching star over a good coach in the twilight of his career, especially considering Monty Williams has never coached at the college level.
Closed Thread