Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 09:40 PM   #2726
jmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
As in the future is bright :/
I remember those pics of orange skies posted back in be Cliff and Snider days.... it always seemed to mean that there were some very good things developing😏

I guess I was thinking more of what that is meaning currently. Can't wait to see what develops👍
Old Apr 16, 2017, 09:51 PM   #2727
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Well...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:04 PM   #2728
MrOizo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniElite View Post
Its going to play out the same way it did with Groce u cant sit and say well hes new we will give him a year then see how he does the following year you cant do that in College hoops this isnt the nba where there is a draft and you can rebuild....If you fire a Coach in college u better hope whoever u hire is a homerun JW is a football guy he went out and snagged up a stud Coach in Lovie he mad a huge mistake hiring BU mark my words Illini Basketball going to be rough to watch for years to come and i love the Orange and Blue
I like that college and coach are capitalize​d but NBA isn't. It's interesting to ponder.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:17 AM   #2729
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPET View Post
The Sky is Bright Orange
The Moore the merrier, right?

(still desperately need another big though)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:31 AM   #2730
Redbirds33333
So with 4 scholarships. Lots of moving pieces here and options.

At first I didn't really want Bruninga as I thought he was mid-major, but after watching him some more and the fact he hasn't focused on basketball to this point, I think there is a ton of upside with his size and skill set. BU wants skilled players who are tough. I think he would be a nice replacement at the high post once Finke graduates. Sign me up!

The 6 options I read the most about are:

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

Who else have been mentioned as options?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:32 AM   #2731
Adnarel
Banned
Nah, I'll dial you back on that. Being an Illinois fan, I'll call nothing a done deal until they're on the court playing in a regular season game.

But it looks pretty good, that I'll say. We'll have to fight off Kansas.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:34 AM   #2732
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
They are now the favorite for Bowen, I believe. Leaving the Valley for the Big East helps a lot.
And they somehow always get 15000+ fans at their games when their enrollment is like 8000
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:39 AM   #2733
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Nah, I'll dial you back on that. Being an Illinois fan, I'll call nothing a done deal until they're on the court playing in a regular season game.

But it looks pretty good, that I'll say. We'll have to fight off Kansas.
That doesn't seem like it should be hard, if in fact the statement about wanting to be closer to home for an ailing family member is the main reason for the transfer.

I'd asked this question before but don't recall seeing an answer --are we in fact recruiting Moore? I'm much more concerned about getting a big or two....
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:39 AM   #2734
Future Walk-On
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...144866734.html

Here is an article on the Derby Classic or whatever. The end talks solely about Mark Smith and they do mention Illinois recruiting him.

Quote:
The only player in the Derby Classic who hasn’t picked a college yet is Illinois Mr. Basketball Mark Smith, and he was a focus of attention for the smattering of UK fans in the crowd.

Smith — a 6-5 guard — picked up a scholarship offer from the Wildcats last week and is planning to visit Lexington in the next few days. He was roommates with Gilgeous-Alexander in Louisville this week, and the two were palling around on the court before Saturday night’s game.

“We became good friends,” Smith said. “He’s a great basketball player. But he’s a great person, too. He’s a fun guy to be around and a fun guy to play with.

“He was out here dominating. It would be great to play with Shai.”

Smith had seven points, six rebounds and four assists, playing alongside Gilgeous-Alexander on the victorious Team Lightning.

He’s also considering Illinois, Michigan State and Ohio State, among other schools, and he’s expected to make a college decision soon after his visit to Kentucky.

“They love their basketball up here,” he said. “I had a great time up here (in Kentucky). But I still I have to get down to campus and see if I like it.”

Last edited by Future Walk-On; Apr 17, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:56 AM   #2735
Redbirds33333
Bragg as well
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:56 AM   #2736
Redbirds33333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post

At first I didn't really want Bruninga as I thought he was mid-major, but after watching him some more and the fact he hasn't focused on basketball to this point, I think there is a ton of upside with his size and skill set. BU wants skilled players who are tough. I think he would be a nice replacement at the high post once Finke graduates. Sign me up!

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

Bragg I forgot as well
Old Apr 17, 2017, 08:22 AM   #2737
Goldtop
Quote:

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

Which means who we end up with will be nobody on this list.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 08:51 AM   #2738
PlayAZ
Quote:

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

The following make the most sense:

Moore - I think this kid is pretty smart and can see how Evans fared with BU...so?
Badocchi - Wing that can get playing time
Ernst - Could walk into a starting role
Johnson - Who might make the most sense due to skill set and position out of them all...

Smith goes to Kentucky I think, he seems enamored as he probably should, I always thought the home town allure would win out but not anymore. Bruninga would have to be a preferred unless someone transfers, it doesn't seem as if that will happen.

Last edited by PlayAZ; Apr 17, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:15 AM   #2739
troym22
WKU is going to be good
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:32 AM   #2740
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Bragg as well
+++ on Bragg
Also Juiston left Iowa State this weekend w/o committing. Juiston is visiting DePaul this morning.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:34 AM   #2741
STLIlliniMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post

Moore - I think this kid is pretty smart and can see how Evans fared with BU...so?
Johnson - Who might make the most sense due to skill set and position out of them all...
I don't think Evans play will be a determining factor in Moore's recruitment. I don't think many kids pick a school based off the performance of one borderline 5* star guard who they won't be playing with. Most of these kids, outside of possibly Badocchi, are going to be able to walk into a starting situation or major playing time. I hope we're selling them more than playing time.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2742
troym22
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 1m1 minute ago

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinoi...cesco-badocchi
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:47 AM   #2743
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

Hardy may still be in the mix unless he's headed to Arkansas.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:51 AM   #2744
BigWhiteSpats
Not 100% sure, as I was trying to be discreet and not gawk, but Underwood and staff were at OPH about an hour ago with a young man who appeared to be Francesco Badocchi. The pancake breakfast tradition lives on!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2745
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

Awesome to see this! I really hope we get him - Definitely would be a FLYIN ILLINI!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:58 AM   #2746
kuhl84
Quote:

This staff really operates in stealth mode. The fact that Piper didn't even have the info prior to his arrival on campus is amazing.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly who we after.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:04 AM   #2747
TCTORNADO
Quote:

UV=open gym with coaches present. Good evaluation times
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:09 AM   #2748
Burt Toast
Quote:

Smith goes to Kentucky I think, he seems enamored as he probably should, I always thought the home town allure would win out but not anymore. Bruninga would have to be a preferred unless someone transfers, it doesn't seem as if that will happen.

Maybe McIntosh from Illinois state? 6-7 235 lb MVC Small Forward 2nd teamer. Strong, athletic, quick all around player. Well rounded offensively as a shooter/slasher, rebounder, and passer. Probably a lot like kipper. He could pull in some PF minutes and would be great posting up a 3rd guard or play at the top of the key in BUs spread offense. He's kind of a tweener and similar to DJW and Kipper but more experienced. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:10 AM   #2749
foby
Quote:

Johnson would give some security in knowing who would be at least one of our major scoring threats going into the season. He will be a tough get, but would be a huge get if BU and Co could pull it off.

I love Badocchi's upside and athleticism. I was afraid he was a lock for UVA, so very glad to see him visiting us. Hopefully he likes our style of play a lot more.

I think Moore is coming here. Just waiting until the year is over to announce.

And a big man, Ernst seems like he would be adequate, but still holding hope we attract a bigger name by some kind of miracle. McCoy coming home or Bamba (Yeah big stretch at this point).

Agree we may be out of the Smith derby, but if we are wrong it may change the landscape of things a bit.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:20 AM   #2750
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
This staff really operates in stealth mode. The fact that Piper didn't even have the info prior to his arrival on campus is amazing.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly who we after.
This doesn't necessarily bother me. At any rate, it means that some of our commits may come as pleasant surprises, which would be nice change of pace.
Closed Thread