Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2751
troym22
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 1m1 minute ago

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinoi...cesco-badocchi
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:47 AM   #2752
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
So with 4 scholarships. Lots of moving pieces here and options.

At first I didn't really want Bruninga as I thought he was mid-major, but after watching him some more and the fact he hasn't focused on basketball to this point, I think there is a ton of upside with his size and skill set. BU wants skilled players who are tough. I think he would be a nice replacement at the high post once Finke graduates. Sign me up!

The 6 options I read the most about are:

Smith
Moore
Badocchi
Ernst
Bruninga
Cam Johnson

Who else have been mentioned as options?
Hardy may still be in the mix unless he's headed to Arkansas.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:51 AM   #2753
BigWhiteSpats
Not 100% sure, as I was trying to be discreet and not gawk, but Underwood and staff were at OPH about an hour ago with a young man who appeared to be Francesco Badocchi. The pancake breakfast tradition lives on!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2754
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

Awesome to see this! I really hope we get him - Definitely would be a FLYIN ILLINI!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:58 AM   #2755
kuhl84
Quote:

This staff really operates in stealth mode. The fact that Piper didn't even have the info prior to his arrival on campus is amazing.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly who we after.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:04 AM   #2756
TCTORNADO
Quote:

UV=open gym with coaches present. Good evaluation times
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:09 AM   #2757
Burt Toast
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
The following make the most sense:

Moore - I think this kid is pretty smart and can see how Evans fared with BU...so?
Badocchi - Wing that can get playing time
Ernst - Could walk into a starting role
Johnson - Who might make the most sense due to skill set and position out of them all...

Smith goes to Kentucky I think, he seems enamored as he probably should, I always thought the home town allure would win out but not anymore. Bruninga would have to be a preferred unless someone transfers, it doesn't seem as if that will happen.

Maybe McIntosh from Illinois state? 6-7 235 lb MVC Small Forward 2nd teamer. Strong, athletic, quick all around player. Well rounded offensively as a shooter/slasher, rebounder, and passer. Probably a lot like kipper. He could pull in some PF minutes and would be great posting up a 3rd guard or play at the top of the key in BUs spread offense. He's kind of a tweener and similar to DJW and Kipper but more experienced. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:10 AM   #2758
foby
Quote:

Moore - I think this kid is pretty smart and can see how Evans fared with BU...so?
Johnson - Who might make the most sense due to skill set and position out of them all...

Smith goes to Kentucky I think, he seems enamored as he probably should, I always thought the home town allure would win out but not anymore. Bruninga would have to be a preferred unless someone transfers, it doesn't seem as if that will happen.
Johnson would give some security in knowing who would be at least one of our major scoring threats going into the season. He will be a tough get, but would be a huge get if BU and Co could pull it off.

I love Badocchi's upside and athleticism. I was afraid he was a lock for UVA, so very glad to see him visiting us. Hopefully he likes our style of play a lot more.

I think Moore is coming here. Just waiting until the year is over to announce.

And a big man, Ernst seems like he would be adequate, but still holding hope we attract a bigger name by some kind of miracle. McCoy coming home or Bamba (Yeah big stretch at this point).

Agree we may be out of the Smith derby, but if we are wrong it may change the landscape of things a bit.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:20 AM   #2759
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
This staff really operates in stealth mode. The fact that Piper didn't even have the info prior to his arrival on campus is amazing.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly who we after.
This doesn't necessarily bother me. At any rate, it means that some of our commits may come as pleasant surprises, which would be nice change of pace.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 AM   #2760
Madprof
Quote:

Who is Ernst?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2761
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
This doesn't necessarily bother me. At any rate, it means that some of our commits may come as pleasant surprises, which would be nice change of pace.
Its probably a good thing, wasn't passing judgement, just an observation.

I knew about this kids visit to UVa before ours.

The staff's silence is contributing to some of the angst on this board (and others), but that's probably a good thing as well. There were many positive vibes which were "leaked" from the previous staff which never materialized. I think our "enthusiastic" fan base is projecting a lack of positive news from the staff as a negative, when in reality, it just means they are leaking anything.

I'm not saying we are suddenly going to get a recruiting wind fall, just that some of the negativism may be misplaced.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:32 AM   #2762
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
I don't think Evans play will be a determining factor in Moore's recruitment. I don't think many kids pick a school based off the performance of one borderline 5* star guard who they won't be playing with. Most of these kids, outside of possibly Badocchi, are going to be able to walk into a starting situation or major playing time. I hope we're selling them more than playing time.

Good points, Evans thrived in BU system, and more importantly was allowed to do so....I think any recruit notices this and if comparing games would factor this in as it directly relates to their game or the scheme the coaches obviously utilize.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2763
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprof View Post
Who is Ernst?
Brady Ernst, just decommitted from Xavier:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brady-ernst

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2764
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprof View Post
Who is Ernst?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...ter/100333948/
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:46 AM   #2765
Myers
Quote:

Yes Please. Yes Please.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:47 AM   #2766
Future Walk-On
Quote:

Tell me he doesn't resemble and play like Brian Randle.... (from the limited videos I have seen)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:48 AM   #2767
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Toast View Post
Maybe McIntosh from Illinois state? 6-7 235 lb MVC Small Forward 2nd teamer. Strong, athletic, quick all around player. Well rounded offensively as a shooter/slasher, rebounder, and passer. Probably a lot like kipper. He could pull in some PF minutes and would be great posting up a 3rd guard or play at the top of the key in BUs spread offense. He's kind of a tweener and similar to DJW and Kipper but more experienced. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some ISU guys told me he is already going to Mizzou. Don't know if that's official or what though.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:00 AM   #2768
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
The staff's silence is contributing to some of the angst on this board (and others), but that's probably a good thing as well.
Oh, absolutely. I'm even catching myself wondering if this is a top-down idea from Whitman, who clearly operates with a great deal of secrecy, decisiveness, and competence. I would be able to live with that, even if it makes the off-season recruiting thread a little more sleepy.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:04 AM   #2769
miketherevelator
Okon Scout News‏ @okonscoutnews 2h1 hour ago
Ayo Dosunmu (@AyoDos_11) is receiving interest from Sec Power Kentucky.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:05 AM   #2770
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Okon Scout News‏ @okonscoutnews 2h1 hour ago
Ayo Dosunmu (@AyoDos_11) is receiving interest from Sec Power Kentucky.
We knew that would happen. Hopefully the connections we have with him help us out. He is priority #1 once Mark Smith decides.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:07 AM   #2771
IlliniTargetAcquired
I'm glad the staff is using an official visit because the way his recruitment is going doesn't hint toward a drawn out process where he'd make it back to campus.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2772
miketherevelator
THT on Saturday in Highland.
WE GOT NEXT HOOPS‏ @WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1
Talen Horton-Tucker throws down nice dunk !!! Mac Irvin Fire get the W over Sky Ice Elite 78-39.
https://twitter.com/WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1/...86198420779009
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:13 AM   #2773
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Badocchi excites me far more than Pickett did simply because of his athleticism. Our teams for the last decade have been desperately missing elite athleticism. You can teach skill and development, you can't teach athleticism. I would think that Badocchi would be a much better fit in Underwood's system than Virginia's
Absolutely.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2774
Chipatsj23h
Quote:

Why no rankings or more interest on this kid? Is he limited offensively besides athleticism? Whats the weaknesses here, has to be something we are missing. Love the athleticism though, attacks hard. Would be a good fit for Underwood.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:24 AM   #2775
UCantHideYer
Ernst & Angst. A couple vowels shy of standing a chance on Wheel of Fortune.
Closed Thread