Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1226
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniinhoosierland View Post
If we are still desperate after their bowl game (*cough*) Andrew Trainer (6'7" 245 RS-FR), and Jordan Fagan (6'6" 300 SR) both have basketball backgrounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Iacuzzo View Post
Why would we want football players marginally taller than say Aaron Jordan?
I think the answer is in the OP assumptions, if we are "desperate for a big."

AJ isn't a big & as it stands today we have 2 potentials to cover a 5 & one of them is 6'7" (the same size you are dismissing), looking at the 245# & 300# puts them in a different category than AJ as far as position.

Are we that desperate yet, maybe not. But jump back a couple years when we started with 5 bigs & finished the season with 2, if we aren't there yet, we are pretty close.
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 10:53 AM   #1227
Sal Iacuzzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
I think the answer is in the OP assumptions, if we are "desperate for a big."

AJ isn't a big & as it stands today we have 2 potentials to cover a 5 & one of them is 6'7" (the same size you are dismissing), looking at the 245# & 300# puts them in a different category than AJ as far as position.

Are we that desperate yet, maybe not. But jump back a couple years when we started with 5 bigs & finished the season with 2, if we aren't there yet, we are pretty close.
Just don't see Underwood adding guys to the roster in the middle of the season that are not D1 caliber basketball players. Seems more likely he will go small, which he has done before.
Sal Iacuzzo is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 10:57 AM   #1228
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchant View Post
Kendrick Foster made the announcement he was leaving and came back to the University. I was trying to draw that parallel.
I don't think he got the memo.
Ubermensch is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 10:58 AM   #1229
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Iacuzzo View Post
Just don't see Underwood adding guys to the roster in the middle of the season that are not D1 caliber basketball players. Seems more likely he will go small, which he has done before.
Maybe not, but it's like a walk on, just because he is on the roster doesn't mean he will play & it isn't a scholarship. Undoubtedly, playing small will be the first option, but you have seen teams do this in a jam in the past
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 11:09 AM   #1230
The Pontiff
Quote:
Kendrick Foster made the announcement he was leaving and came back to the University. I was trying to draw that parallel.
Ahh, got it. However, one difference is I believe Kendrick made known he was leaving while Cubit was coach and then changed his mind when Lovie came on board. DJW's decision seemed to be one that was made or confirmed with just Underwood.
The Pontiff is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1231
FC Illiniman
Glad this Alstork last visit. Maybe getting his answer start other things rolling. Ready for him to commit.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 12:38 PM   #1232
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagee View Post
Alstork just tweeted excitedly about his upcoming visit to L-ville as well. He made sure to hashtag that it was an unofficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hearing Louisville won't have an open ride for Alstork, and that this kid is most likely the guy who is going to take the last spot.

http://247sports.com/Player/Wassef-Methnani-46041927
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 12:39 PM   #1233
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Surprised how nice the facilities and living quarters are at LSU. He's definitely loving it down there. I've gone from 50-50 to about 80% sure he won't pick ILL, but I'm never confident about anybody so you can probably ignore that.
I was impressed with their facilities as well. Definitely nicer than I thought they would be for them being a football school.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 01:02 PM   #1234
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT View Post
Can LSU take Alstork and we take this kid? He's 6'8!
Fairfield and Louisville? That's it? Interesting.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 01:17 PM   #1235
7yearillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Hearing Louisville won't have an open ride for Alstork, and that this kid is most likely the guy who is going to take the last spot.

Unfortunately Luther is going to screw us and pay for him to go to Louisville. Some guilt thing about the blowout Final 4 game.
7yearillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 02:03 PM   #1236
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Fairfield and Louisville? That's it? Interesting.
Since there's nothing else going on today lets talk about another team's recruit

This kid's highlight tape is legit. 6-8, good handles for a guy his size, runs the floor well, dunks a lot, and can stroke the 3. Here is some tape if you wanna check him out.

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/tu...ofl-this-week/
t7nich is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1237
IlliniKid
Agau's recruitment has been ridiculously silent...I haven't heard or seen a single thing
IlliniKid is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 02:06 PM   #1238
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post

Yeah, BUT if they want him bad enough, and he wants to play there, they will make room (via transfer). Same goes for South Carolina I think. Should find out in a couple days...
Old May 17, 2017, 02:36 PM   #1239
coryfor3
Quote:
Kendrick had the option to return. Not so sure it sounded like that would be the case for DJ
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 02:50 PM   #1240
IlliniKid
Man following Mark Alstork on Twitter and seeing his snaps about the Louisville facilities makes ours look...sub par
IlliniKid is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 03:00 PM   #1241
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKid View Post
Man following Mark Alstork on Twitter and seeing his snaps about the Louisville facilities makes ours look...sub par
They got that KFC Yum money.

Old May 17, 2017, 05:26 PM   #1242
Sal Iacuzzo
For what it's worth we get more money from State Farm than UL gets from KFC Yum as far as naming rights go.

They do or did have that Papa John's money. John Schnatter got into a dispute with the administration and just resigned from the UL athletics board.
Sal Iacuzzo is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 06:39 PM   #1243
Illini Fan in Louisville
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
They got that KFC Yum money.

What they got is the best Athletic Director in the country in Tom Jurich. He came in spending money to upgrade ALL the facilities and he hasn't stopped. I see Josh Whitman being cut from the same cloth.

Illini Fan in Louisville is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 08:39 AM   #1244
Illini B-Ball Fan

Man, this popcorn is making me thirsty, these uneventful Wednesdays can get to a person. Hopefully this thread will perk up in the next 48 hours or so with some positive news!

Old May 18, 2017, 09:47 AM   #1245
miketherevelator
Jody Demling‏ @jdemling
Louisville had two visitors on campus this week, but per source the Cardinals passing on adding anyone else to the roster.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 09:51 AM   #1246
MainelyIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Jody Demling‏ @jdemling
Louisville had two visitors on campus this week, but per source the Cardinals passing on adding anyone else to the roster.
This bodes well for Alstork becoming an Illini! Fingers crossed.
MainelyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 10:00 AM   #1247
FC Illiniman
Louisville wasn't much of threat, Georgetown was one I was concerned about. 20th is very near.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 10:26 AM   #1248
Dren1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKid View Post
Agau's recruitment has been ridiculously silent...I haven't heard or seen a single thing
It appears Agau took an official visit to Old Dominion yesterday and still has plans to visit SMU: http://pilotonline.com/sports/colleg...79875338b.html
Dren1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 10:47 AM   #1249
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dren1 View Post
It appears Agau took an official visit to Old Dominion yesterday and still has plans to visit SMU: http://pilotonline.com/sports/colleg...79875338b.html
You found something on this kid's recruitment, well done
Old May 18, 2017, 10:56 AM   #1250
TownieMatt
CU Expat
You wouldn't think Old Dominion would pose much of a threat, but if kid wants playing time...