Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:19 AM   #576
AttentionDeficit
IMHO, Martin may not be a sure failure AT Mizzou, but he is likely a failure FOR Mizzou. As soon as this new transfer rule goes into place he will leverage all that transferable talent to bounce to a better paying gig. If Martin is at Mizzou two years after the transfer rule change, it will be because his teams aren't good enough to merit consideration elsewhere.

I haven't read all of the transfer rules thread, but the hiring of coaches and assistants is forever after going to be complicated by the athletes that would follow them wherever they go. A guy like Jerrance is going to get his shot over a mid-major coach when he can say 'Hire me and I will jump start things by bringing two guys from Kansas' bench.' Mizzou is currently living by that sword with the players that Martin has delivered, but they will also die by it if he leaves town with his roster.
AttentionDeficit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:24 AM   #577
DudeIllini
I'm happier with BU and his staff than I would be with Cuonzo and all of his early recruiting success. It feels great to have a professional at the helm.
DudeIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:26 AM   #578
miketherevelator
I had forgotten the 'joys' of reading Tigerboard. Although not much different than here or any other board, just so much harder.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:34 AM   #579
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
He could be following the Tilmon method of reassuring a commitment
Perhaps, and it also could be that unlike Underwood, Travis Ford is willing to "try hard enough" to keep him.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:42 AM   #580
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
Perhaps, and it also could be that unlike Underwood, Travis Ford is willing to "try hard enough" to keep him.
That's Tigerboard's take:
"Also SLU paid him a ton of cash, don't forget that."

Of course OTOH:
"He is a headcase and has a bad attitude therefore it is better that he goes to SLU"

But he'll be sorry:
"…after having to suffer through a season of playing for Ford. That can't be fun for any player that has expectations of success and reaching their potential."
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:43 AM   #581
Illini Fan in Louisville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
I'll sure be glad when we get to page 24.

Nice timing.
Illini Fan in Louisville is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:48 AM   #582
TCTORNADO
It's interesting that Ayo's, Grandpa, is Dale Moss, who is the founder (1998) and owner of the Harlem Ambassadors. He recently stepped down from running them due to Parkinson's. He has literally been involved in every step of Ayo's development. Wouldn't it be cool to put Manny Jackson and Dale Moss together and talk about the "clown princes of basketball."
The Dosunmu contingent is, as understand, just huge. No way they want Ayo playing in California or North Carolina, but rather good old Illinois. Dale and his wife live in Waukegan and are members of a church in Lake Forest.
My buddy with the Chicago Alumni Association just texted me and said that Ayo will have an OV to C/U in a couple of weeks.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:50 AM   #583
IlliniDent
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
That's Tigerboard's take:
"Also SLU paid him a ton of cash, don't forget that."

Of course OTOH:
"He is a headcase and has a bad attitude therefore it is better that he goes to SLU"

But he'll be sorry:
"…after having to suffer through a season of playing for Ford. That can't be fun for any player that has expectations of success and reaching their potential."
Just great quotes coming from a team with Cuonzo as their coach. Just goes to show you how everyone thinks every team cheats but their own
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:52 AM   #584
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
It's interesting that Ayo's, Grandpa, is Dale Moss, who is the founder (1998) and owner of the Harlem Ambassadors. He recently stepped down from running them due to Parkinson's. He has literally been involved in every step of Ayo's development. Wouldn't it be cool to put Manny Jackson and Dale Moss together and talk about the "clown princes of basketball."
The Dosunmu contingent is, as understand, just huge. No way they want Ayo playing in California or North Carolina, but rather good old Illinois. Dale and his wife live in Waukegan and are members of a church in Lake Forest.
My buddy with the Chicago Alumni Association just texted me and said that Ayo will have an OV to C/U in a couple of weeks.
Thank you! So far, so good.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:53 AM   #585
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttentionDeficit View Post
IMHO, Martin may not be a sure failure AT Mizzou, but he is likely a failure FOR Mizzou. As soon as this new transfer rule goes into place he will leverage all that transferable talent to bounce to a better paying gig. If Martin is at Mizzou two years after the transfer rule change, it will be because his teams aren't good enough to merit consideration elsewhere.

I haven't read all of the transfer rules thread, but the hiring of coaches and assistants is forever after going to be complicated by the athletes that would follow them wherever they go. A guy like Jerrance is going to get his shot over a mid-major coach when he can say 'Hire me and I will jump start things by bringing two guys from Kansas' bench.' Mizzou is currently living by that sword with the players that Martin has delivered, but they will also die by it if he leaves town with his roster.
If the premise of his failure for Mizzou is that he leaves Mizzou for a better gig, then that would be similar of Self leaving Illinois for Kansas (i.e., still a very successful period for Illinois). As far as the impact of changing the transfer rule on Martin's career, this is even more premature than declaring him a failure at Mizzou.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:56 AM   #586
jcgoldie
Does anyone think its meaningful that the Illini don't have more official visits set up at this point? By my count they have hosted 2 so far, Nolley and Castleton, and they have 2 scheduled, Conditt and Sow. I think everyone expects Ayo will announce one at some point. Given the in homes one could guess they would like to get visits from THT and Iggy. Any I missed? That still seems like a short list, aren't you allowed 24 in a 2 year period or something like that?

Here's hoping the brevity of the list indicates confidence in their current targets.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:56 AM   #587
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeIllini View Post
I'm happier with BU and his staff than I would be with Cuonzo and all of his early recruiting success. It feels great to have a professional at the helm.
Agree - and didn't he get some of that talent by hiring Dad? I am all for long term AND the ability for that to lead to on court success - not just getting the talent.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't expect my opinion to be what everyone else thinks - so posters who think they speak for all the fans need to stop projecting.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:57 AM   #588
miketherevelator
Quote:
Just great quotes coming from a team with Cuonzo as their coach. Just goes to show you how everyone thinks every team cheats but their own
Right now Missouri basketball is like Cult Cuonzo.
https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/stat...50430318587904
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:59 AM   #589
Obelix
Quote:
Exactly, and almost cut and paste similarity with posts made on this board about Tilmon, Goodwin, and others.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:01 AM   #590
IlliniDent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Exactly, and almost cut and paste similarity with posts made on this board about Tilmon, Goodwin, and others.
Yep. It's the same everywhere. Granted there is a spectrum but still
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:03 AM   #591
DB11Headband
Quote:
TCT, insider! Who needs Cash! (kidding, of course)

Ayo's recruitment just feels different. Have a very good feeling about the O and B's chances.
DB11Headband is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:09 AM   #592
miketherevelator
Quote:
Yep. Fans are fans.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:15 AM   #593
james81
Quote:
Thanks--good info. I'm glad we got the first in-home visit this week. The process is slower than any of us like, but so far, so good. A lot of reasons to be hopeful.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:28 AM   #594
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB11Headband View Post
TCT, insider! Who needs Cash! (kidding, of course)

Ayo's recruitment just feels different. Have a very good feeling about the O and B's chances.
My younger son is a member of the Chicago Illini Club and we get a lot of info from his networking. If you are an alum in the Chicago area, I would strongly encourage one to join. My older one is with the D.C. alumni club and he doesn't get as much info.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:46 AM   #595
jmilt7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Kedric Prince‏ @KedPrince4 3m3 minutes ago

The (Illinois) presentation was nice. Very personable, each coach added something different. Ayo Dosunmu just shared with me. #Illini
Just "nice"? Oh, woe are we as I overreact and wring my hands in despair
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:50 AM   #596
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Dale and his wife live in Waukegan and are members of a church in Lake Forest.
So Wisconsin it is

Thx tc for the nfo

Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:50 AM   #597
AttentionDeficit
Quote:
If the premise of his failure for Mizzou is that he leaves Mizzou for a better gig, then that would be similar of Self leaving Illinois for Kansas (i.e., still a very successful period for Illinois).

I agree that it would be similar to Self leaving Illinois for Kansas IF he parlays the talent into winning. But i purposefully said better paying job and not better job. I would say that he would need to win to get a Better Job, but i posit that one can get a better paying job just by showing recruiting success. Is this not exactly what Martin just negotiated in his move from Cal to Mizzou?

In any case, sorry to take this even more off topic. Back to the recruiting!
AttentionDeficit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:57 AM   #598
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
Haha I thought the same thing when I read "nice" ... like being in the friend zone or something. I thought about responding but I didn't want to be the one to set off an irrational self conscious mass panic as we have been prone to in the past.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:02 PM   #599
618MattD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
I don't think that nice is a bad connotation in this sense. In athletics, the word nice is often when talking about something being good/respectable.

EX: "Dang bro, that boy game is nice"
618MattD is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:18 PM   #600
miketherevelator
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....unmu-villanova

Big section on Ayo, some about Ignas.

Oh and Kentucky also has no '18 commits yet. Something we have in common with them!