Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

"Swing Your Sword" by Mike Leach - ESPN suspends writer Bruce Feldman

Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Dan
Admin
Quote:
A Day With Mike Leach: Sailing Key West's High Seas With The Pirate Captain

Spencer Hall spends eight hours on a boat in Key West with Mike Leach, The Pirate Captain himself, which gets him an elf story, a discussion of fish and their lack of education, late-night pizza, and much more that he never anticipated.

Spencer Hall
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:51 PM   #27
SaltLife
Banned
On the surface 8 hours on a fishing boat off Key West doesn't sound bad at all. Now with Mike Leach aboard it may be a different story
SaltLife is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Mark Seifert
Finished the book. It can essentially be divided into thirds: The first third is Leach's background, rise through the coaching ranks, and how he developed his various philosophies. Second third is getting to Tech and how he developed that program. Last part is the Adam & Craig James situation and how that led to his dismissal.

The beginning is very interesting. Finding out a bit about what makes a guy like Leach tick is what I wanted out of the book.

The part that starts to get into the Tech years is good, though as a casual football fan I was less interested in the specifics of his offense, details about how his staff worked, etc. If you're a big football fan (or of course, a Tech fan) you'll probably love it.

The part covering the James situation is basically about getting his side of the story on the record. He is of course extremely critical of ESPN, Craig James, and certain Tech administrators.

Honestly, since I only had a casual knowledge of that situation before now, the extreme one-sided telling of the matter hurts the book somewhat. Throughout the book, there are brief passages from people who know Leach, talking about specific events. They could've gotten third-party perspective here from non-ESPN sports people (such as from yahoo, cbs sports, etc) to give some context here and that would have made Leach's telling of it all the more biting.

That said, he set out to get his unedited side of it on the record here, and no doubt cause the other sports media to follow up into his claims (which are backed with various included emails that came out during his legal wrangling with Tech and other investigations), and he accomplishes that goal and I think there will probably be consequences for some people from what he lays out here.

An interesting though very brief section involves Bob Knight. Though he goes out of his way to say he got along with Knight and has no beef with him, he says some of his issues at Tech were caused in part by power struggles between Tech administrators who were inside Knight's circle and those who were not. In a nutshell, some people inside Tech had bootstrapped their influence around Knight and his ability to schmooze boosters, and Leach's rising success had started to destabilize that (according to Leach, obviously).

Overall, an interesting book and if you're a football fan I think you'll probably like it.
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:32 AM   #29
Botb9
Realist
As I expected, this episode backfires on ESPN ultimately. Bruce Feldman has left and is apparently joining CBSSports.com.

Quote:
Ladies and gentleman please welcome Bruce Feldman to CBSSports.com.
@DennisDoddCBS

Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:35 AM   #30
Dan
Admin
Audio: Bruce Feldman on the Dan Patrick Show today http://t.co/c8tR1zO
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:07 AM   #31
OlivetNaz
Some da**ing stuff there on ESPN. Withdrew a contract extension and raise because Feldman has "credibility issues"...but they keep Craig James and Mark May.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:20 AM   #32
Botb9
Realist
This is one they're going to live to regret. That guy was bringing in money. What did Craig James ever do for ESPN except get them embroiled in a lawsuit and spew nothingness for four months out of the year?

Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:27 AM   #33
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
This is one they're going to live to regret. That guy was bringing in money. What did Craig James ever do for ESPN except get them embroiled in a lawsuit and spew nothingness for four months out of the year?
ESPN doesn't have what I would call a single objective CFB reporter or analyst on their network now that Feldman's gone. Shameful.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:31 PM   #34
ThunderNutz
I have listened to The Dan Patrick Show a lot on my SiriusXM and I LOVE how he always refers to ESPN as "The Mothership"

Old Oct 7, 2011, 01:36 PM   #35
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Bump.

Reading the book right now, about half way through and loving it.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #36
KBLEE
Mike Leach Appears To Have Autographed A Copy Of His Book With A "Craig James Killed Five Hookers" Reference

Outstanding!!!
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #37
aiwpfan
That is awesome!
aiwpfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #38
256ILLINI
Banned
I urge you all to google the words "Craig James kill" and then stop typing and look at what google suggests you search.
256ILLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 05:06 AM   #39
BluesBro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Yea the more I think of it, the more I do not think that is correct.

Err this is driving me nuts, it happened at some point in the past year and I remember they were such a laughing stock for not doing it. Maybe it was the Big Ben stuff I am thinking of.
They were blasted earlier in the year for sitting on the Syracuse sex abuse stuff...the tapes of the coach's wife with the accuser/victim.
BluesBro is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »