Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2011-12 Illinois Hoops Winter Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
LaTulip had a quiet night as Prospect lost its opener to Oak Park River Forest 77-65. LaTulip scored 17 on 4 field goals and 9-10 at the free throw line.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
AzIlliniFan
Nothing wrong with that stat line!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
MTILLINOIS
I thought I read he was injured as of last week, and that kept him from practicing.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
I thought I read he was injured as of last week, and that kept him from practicing.
Are you thinking of Orris? He hurt his ankle.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:13 AM   #5
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
Are you thinking of Orris? He hurt his ankle.
Yes. Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:03 AM   #6
rbachhuber
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
LaTulip had 15 points last night against St. Patrick on 4 field goals and 7 - 9 at the free throw line.

Quote:
Watson and fellow junior Loren Horton were key figures in holding down Prospect guard Mike LaTulip. LaTulip led the Knights with 15 points and was constantly hounded.

"He's going to see that a lot this year," said St. Patrick coach Mike Bailey. "It was the same way a few years ago when we had Sam Maniscalco (former Bradley and current Illinois guard). Teams threw a lot of different defenses at us.

"We had to take away his lanes tonight. When we needed Elijah the most tonight in the fourth quarter he stepped up for us."

"I had to use a lot of energy in defending him," said Watson. "It took away from some of my offense.
http://basketball.dailyherald.com/story/?id=429829

Last edited by rbachhuber; Nov 26, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Dan
Admin

Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:45 PM   #8
rbachhuber
LaTulip had 19 Saturday night against Senn. Three 3-pointers.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:22 AM   #9
rbachhuber
Prospect Tops Elk Grove 73 - 42

Mike LaTulip scored 21 points, including 4 three pointers, and handed out 6 assists.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
IlliniRunIn07
Any more info on that Vassar story? I think it was you Dbruck who first posted about it. Is it anything we should be worried about if we're going to put the full court press on him?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Dbruck
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Any more info on that Vassar story? I think it was you Dbruck who first posted about it. Is it anything we should be worried about if we're going to put the full court press on him?
From what I've gathered personally, it's not something to worry about or lose sleep over for that matter. Johnnie is still in that tough transition period at the moment so when further information comes out, I'll let you guys know. Vassar told me last week that DePaul is going after him the hardest at the moment but Illinois is definitely still in the mix.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:41 AM   #12
zpfled
This is probably not fair to Johnnie, but I am having flashbacks of Jereme Richmond's high school issues.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:46 AM   #13
ChicagoJoe
Banned
Quote:
This is probably not fair to Johnnie, but I am having flashbacks of Jereme Richmond's high school issues.
Doesn't appear to be of the same magnitude.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
prepbullseye
Banned
Let's shift gears for a moment. Here are the 1st round pairings for the McDipper Holiday Tournament. Best opening round game will feature a pair of talented underclass guards in Bolingbrook freshman Prentiss Nixon (who the Illini are recruiting) and Marian Catholic soph Tyler Ulis (who the Illini should also be recruiting). Surprised Ulis has not gotten more mention on this board--we have done our part.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/McDipper_Pairings.html
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:32 AM   #15
IlliniByProxy
I am curious if the Illini are hot on any future big men. I have to assume that Leonard has 1 maybe 2 seasons left with the Illini. That leaves us with Griff, Egwu, Ibby as true bigs and Shaw filling in some spot minutes at the 3/4. I keep hearing of a contingency plan if Leonard bolts for the draft. Any thoughts on who we are targeting to fill his spot?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:35 AM   #16
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
I am curious if the Illini are hot on any future big men. I have to assume that Leonard has 1 maybe 2 seasons left with the Illini. That leaves us with Griff, Egwu, Ibby as true bigs and Shaw filling in some spot minutes at the 3/4. I keep hearing of a contingency plan if Leonard bolts for the draft. Any thoughts on who we are targeting to fill his spot?
Schilling, Hamilton, Parker, Devin Williams in 2013.

Okafor and Alexander in 2014, though I think those two are real long shots for us.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:42 AM   #17
4LaCosaNostra
paul white,, along with okafor and alexander, white is top 40 recruit..2014 is loaded
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:42 AM   #18
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Schilling, Hamilton, Parker, Devin Williams in 2013.

Okafor and Alexander in 2014, though I think those two are real long shots for us.

I know who we are after, I'm more curious if anyone knows if we are putting extra efforts in on any one or two of these guys. I have to think that the staff wants to land a 2013 big. If we wait till 2014 we will be awfully thin on big men.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:03 PM   #19
WesterveltVictoryCigar
From what I've read, they thought they were close to landing Schilling but he's since started to get more attention and isn't ready to choose. He seems to be the top priority for 2013. Not counting Parker because he's clearly the top prospect but is going to be really tough to get, IMO.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:25 PM   #20
thedbod7
Ryan Boatright

Did we ever go after Ryan Boatright, who's now at UCONN, and why not if we didn't?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:26 PM   #21
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
From what I've read, they thought they were close to landing Schilling but he's since started to get more attention and isn't ready to choose. He seems to be the top priority for 2013. Not counting Parker because he's clearly the top prospect but is going to be really tough to get, IMO.

You must be reading the same articles as me lol. Any insider info out there anyone??? Has Illinois fast start taken notice with any recruits? Will we have any recruits in the house at the U.C. when we destroy UNLV?!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:32 PM   #22
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Doesn't appear to be of the same magnitude.
Good.

On an unrelated note, whatever happened to that Roosevelt Smart kid? I want him in Orange and Blue, purely because of his fantastic name.

But seriously, any updates on him?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:32 PM   #23
ChicagoJoe
Banned
Quote:
Did we ever go after Ryan Boatright, who's now at UCONN, and why not if we didn't?
A very messy recruitment, grade and eligibility issues as well. Committed to USC, then someone else, then UCONN.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:00 PM   #24
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
You must be reading the same articles as me lol. Any insider info out there anyone??? Has Illinois fast start taken notice with any recruits? Will we have any recruits in the house at the U.C. when we destroy UNLV?!
cant hurt being ranked and getting some chicago pub..

i think??? recruits have to pay their own way to the UC game..We cant have their visit be at a pro areana... maybe some will go,most will be playing high school ball i would think..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:25 PM   #25
illiniparkie
Quote:
Illinois is the latest to express interest in Steven Haney, a 2013 wing from St. Thomas Aquinas (FL).

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop
http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...e-Haney-112119

http://illinois.scout.com/a.z?s=169&p=8&c=1&nid=5107284
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »