Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber on the Hot Seat - Possible Coaching Replacements

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:15 PM   #626
FinalFour88
FinalFour88's Avatar
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskee67 View Post
Jay Bilas regarding the speculation of Weber's dismissal "the AD dost give him confidence and its sad because Coach Weber is a terrific coach but the last couple seasons he's had to coach effort... which no coach should have to... unfortunately the wheels fell off this season and someone will have to pay the price... although I don't agree with it"

Interesting take on it.
I don't fault for Bilas for this opinion, but BW is going to get fired because he's had identical mediocre results with multiple recruiting classes (Randle, McBride, Carter; DMac, Tis, Davis; DJ, BPaul). This is evidence of a common denominator, and that's BW. I can understand having a few bad apples who ruin it for everyone and to whom you need to "coach effort." But in saying you don't agree with BW being fired, you're basically saying that he's had to deal with bad apples for the last six years. That would mean he's had at least 20 bad apples in the last six years. Quite a coincidence.
FinalFour88 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #627
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
Seems so Kramer....

Seems so.
I don't get it.

Oh well, it is what it is.
Kramer116 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:18 PM   #628
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 770
Too bad about Stevens (if AAU Coach is correct). He wasn't my first choice, and I'd rather have somebody who really wants to turn Illinois around- like Coach Beckham in football.

With regard to academics, Illinois is hardly the best academic school in the B1G. I'd put it in the upper half, but certainly below Michigan and Northwestern at least. All of the schools have at least pretty good academics (overall).
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:19 PM   #629
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
Seems so Kramer....

Seems so.
Ok, to take this back on topic, mind sharing your thoughts?

Positive / negatives of:

- Shaka Smart

- Craig Robinson

- Gregg Marshall

- Frank Martin

- What do you think of Jerrance becoming HC?
Kramer116 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:19 PM   #630
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
Seems so Kramer....

Seems so.
I don't know you, but assume you are, in fact, an AAU coach . . .

People are skeptical and cynical by nature, especially when you claim to know something they don't/can't know. If you can't or won't prove it, the are both suspicious and jealous.

If you're telling us things straight up, I understand why you can't say more, and I appreciate the information.

If you're blowing smoke, then shame on you . . .

As for the posse out to get you, don't worry about them or, if you do, moderate what you say.

Everybody's more than a little testy right now, too.
OrangeFever is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:22 PM   #631
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
Too bad about Stevens (if AAU Coach is correct). He wasn't my first choice, and I'd rather have somebody who really wants to turn Illinois around- like Coach Beckham in football.

With regard to academics, Illinois is hardly the best academic school in the B1G. I'd put it in the upper half, but certainly below Michigan and Northwestern at least. All of the schools have at least pretty good academics (overall).
I want somebody who really wants to be here, too, and who is passionate.

I confess, as much as I like the passion, Beckman is a bit too chipper, clappy, and cliched for me. But if he is able to back up that enthusiasm, make it contagious for his players and the fans, then I'm all for it. He makes no bones about being thrilled to be here, that's for sure, and is so far relentlessly positive.
OrangeFever is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:23 PM   #632
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
Posts: 7,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
I want somebody who really wants to be here, too, and who is passionate.

I confess, as much as I like the passion, Beckman is a bit too chipper, clappy, and cliched for me. But if he is able to back up that enthusiasm, make it contagious for his players and the fans, then I'm all for it. He makes no bones about being thrilled to be here, that's for sure, and is so far relentlessly positive.
You are a difficult man to please.
CrazedUIFan is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:23 PM   #633
AAU Hoops Coach
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
I'm not here to blow smoke at all. I like chatting Big Ten basketball with anyone.

Kramer116:

I think Robinson would be a very underrated hire. Oregon State doesn't support him at all and he's hanging in there in what is usually a tough conference (sans this year).

Shaka Smart- can he recruit at a high enough level to keep UI competitive? Is he already behind the 8-ball on the loaded 2013 class in the state of Illinois? Is there enough time to improve on the court so he can get in tight with some very good 2014 stars in the state?


Gregg Marshall- Huge @sshole but gets the job done. I'd look at it as a home-run hire for Illinois. A young Lon Kruger (sans the @$$hole part).

Frank Martin- how close does UI want to become with the NCAA Infractions committee?

What do you think of Jerrance becoming HC?- I'd be really happy for him. Recruiting would improve. What about the x's and o's and the daily coaching of a young group of men?
AAU Hoops Coach is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:24 PM   #634
TooHot4Tots
Posts: 545
I think Abrams is making big strides and with better coaching he will only continue to improve. I agree ML will probably be gone although he might improve his stock under a new coaching staff. Egwu, as you mentioned, has not played enough and the coaches are not good with our post players.

So will a coaching change, say Smart, change your mind on Illinois?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
I think Illinois has ok talent but I'm not big on Abrams and Leonard is going pro.

So they'll have a new frontcourt. Is Egwu a guy who can get them 10 and 8 next year? I don't know. He wants to get better and is a hard worker but I think he'll still need a year to really work (hasn't played much this year, sadly).

I think every kid prefers uptempo to downtempo, no?
TooHot4Tots is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:24 PM   #635
nicksmithfanclub
Posts: 390
On academics, of the better basketball programs we're talking about, obviously Michigan, and then Illinois and Wisconsin and even Ohio State and Indiana are all reasonably strong. MSU is maybe the one outlier.
nicksmithfanclub is online now
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:26 PM   #636
AAU Hoops Coach
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
I think Abrams is making big strides and with better coaching he will only continue to improve. I agree ML will probably be gone although he might improve his stock under a new coaching staff. Egwu, as you mentioned, has not played enough and the coaches are not good with our post players.

So will a coaching change, say Smart, change your mind on Illinois?
Illinois doesn't have to change my mind. I like the school and I've sent a kid there (well, played a very, very small part) and another is coming.

I would have loved to have seen more Henry and Egwu this year. I never rated Shaw, I never thought he was good and I think Langford (from what I hear from open gyms) is a decent player but probably not a huge impact but Djimde will never really to do anything at UI.
AAU Hoops Coach is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #637
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksmithfanclub View Post
On academics, of the better basketball programs we're talking about, obviously Michigan, and then Illinois and Wisconsin and even Ohio State and Indiana are all reasonably strong. MSU is maybe the one outlier.
I think what he was trying to say is that you will get a good education anywhere you go in the B1G. It is not like the SEC where there are one or two good schools then nothing else.

Every school in the B1G offers you a good education.
Kramer116 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #638
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 5,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskee67 View Post
Jay Bilas regarding the speculation of Weber's dismissal "the AD dost give him confidence and its sad because Coach Weber is a terrific coach but the last couple seasons he's had to coach effort... which no coach should have to... unfortunately the wheels fell off this season and someone will have to pay the price... although I don't agree with it"

Interesting take on it.
I think many, including Izzo and Bilas, see Weber as a man of principle and hate to see this be his end (fwiw, I do too). It might cloud their vision. The fact is, the program has taken a step backwards. It hasn't been this bad since the previous millenium.

I was hoping that if he were to survive until next year, there might be some better candidates available to replace him, but he hasn't been able to do that in all likelihood.

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is online now
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #639
FinalFour88
FinalFour88's Avatar
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
You are a difficult man to please.
I've actually gotten the exact same impression of Beckman as Fever. Of course, in the end, I'll judge his UI tenure on wins and losses.
FinalFour88 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #640
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
I'm not here to blow smoke at all. I like chatting Big Ten basketball with anyone.

Kramer116:

I think Robinson would be a very underrated hire. Oregon State doesn't support him at all and he's hanging in there in what is usually a tough conference (sans this year).

Shaka Smart- can he recruit at a high enough level to keep UI competitive? Is he already behind the 8-ball on the loaded 2013 class in the state of Illinois? Is there enough time to improve on the court so he can get in tight with some very good 2014 stars in the state?


Gregg Marshall- Huge @sshole but gets the job done. I'd look at it as a home-run hire for Illinois. A young Lon Kruger (sans the @$$hole part).

Frank Martin- how close does UI want to become with the NCAA Infractions committee?

What do you think of Jerrance becoming HC?- I'd be really happy for him. Recruiting would improve. What about the x's and o's and the daily coaching of a young group of men?
Thanks, much appreciated.
Kramer116 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:30 PM   #641
GeorgiaIllini
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
I want somebody who really wants to be here, too, and who is passionate.

I confess, as much as I like the passion, Beckman is a bit too chipper, clappy, and cliched for me. But if he is able to back up that enthusiasm, make it contagious for his players and the fans, then I'm all for it. He makes no bones about being thrilled to be here, that's for sure, and is so far relentlessly positive.
If Beckman wins, his personality will be endearing. If he does not, it will be annoying.

As to BW, imagine how pissed most would have been (including me) if he actually HAD left for Oklahoma last year. Not because I'd be mad he was gone, but because he left us for OKLAHOMA.
GeorgiaIllini is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:32 PM   #642
TooHot4Tots
Posts: 545
Thanks for the honesty. I really wish Henry would have seen more time throughout the year as he seems like he could be a player. Another kid who I think will benefit from a new staff. Shaw never showed much while he was in, but again he had such a short leash early on he got a stiff neck. It seems that why will all be back next year according to an article I read yesterday, so hopefully they work their tails off in the offseason.

Enjoy coaching AAU?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
Illinois doesn't have to change my mind. I like the school and I've sent a kid there (well, played a very, very small part) and another is coming.

I would have loved to have seen more Henry and Egwu this year. I never rated Shaw, I never thought he was good and I think Langford (from what I hear from open gyms) is a decent player but probably not a huge impact but Djimde will never really to do anything at UI.
TooHot4Tots is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:32 PM   #643
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaIllini View Post
If Beckman wins, his personality will be endearing. If he does not, it will be annoying.

As to BW, imagine how pissed most would have been (including me) if he actually HAD left for Oklahoma last year. Not because I'd be mad he was gone, but because he left us for OKLAHOMA.
The other day, Izzo mentioned that Weber turned down 2 coaching offers this past offseason. We know Oklahoma was one, but does anyone know who extended the other offer? I'm very curious.
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:34 PM   #644
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
Illinois doesn't have to change my mind. I like the school and I've sent a kid there (well, played a very, very small part) and another is coming.

I would have loved to have seen more Henry and Egwu this year. I never rated Shaw, I never thought he was good and I think Langford (from what I hear from open gyms) is a decent player but probably not a huge impact but Djimde will never really to do anything at UI.
Is your former player currently in Memphis?

Who do you see as the best hire for Illinois?
BrooksTaylorFan is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:34 PM   #645
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
You are a difficult man to please.
Indeed. But, like Bruce Weber, I'm honest and I don't hide my views or water them down, even if people don't like what I say or disagree. But I don't get paid $1.5 million and I don't get to hold pressers. Bummer . . .

I like Beckman and enjoy his enthusiasm, but he could tone down the rah rah just a bit for my tastes.
OrangeFever is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:37 PM   #646
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaIllini View Post
If Beckman wins, his personality will be endearing. If he does not, it will be annoying.

As to BW, imagine how pissed most would have been (including me) if he actually HAD left for Oklahoma last year. Not because I'd be mad he was gone, but because he left us for OKLAHOMA.
Ha ha, totally true. If I had to choose between overly somber and overly excited, I'd take the latter. But, yes, it will wear thin if results don't back it up.

I supported Weber leaving for OK (really for anywhere) and before last year, but that's just me. I've been off the bandwagon a long time.
OrangeFever is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:38 PM   #647
AAU Hoops Coach
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Is your former player currently in Memphis?

Who do you see as the best hire for Illinois?
Next year, I'll have two kids playing for UI (As of now...on paper).

I think Illinois could do well with Marshall, Robinson or Smart.
AAU Hoops Coach is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:38 PM   #648
AAU Hoops Coach
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
Thanks for the honesty. I really wish Henry would have seen more time throughout the year as he seems like he could be a player. Another kid who I think will benefit from a new staff. Shaw never showed much while he was in, but again he had such a short leash early on he got a stiff neck. It seems that why will all be back next year according to an article I read yesterday, so hopefully they work their tails off in the offseason.

Enjoy coaching AAU?
Ha, sometimes.
AAU Hoops Coach is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:38 PM   #649
icasaman
Posts: 135
Shaka Smart -- young, charismatic, seems style of play is well received with recruits, early coaching success, can flaunt the fact he took a team to the Final Four, african-American. -- Cons -- always a jump up from the mid-major level. Is he really ready? Hasn't had great regular season success with VCU. Is he winning with Grant's players?

Robinson -- Don't really get the interest in him outside of being Obama's brother-n-law. Has done little at OSU, but in his defense, few have. Plays the Princeton offense. Maybe it would all be better at a school like Illinois but would seem to be a really curious choice.

Marshall -- Has won at two programs. Must be able to coach. Cons -- I really not sure he could handle the stress. Rumors to be real abrasive. Could he recruit? Definitely would need a recruiter. Reminds me of former East Carolina football coach Steve Logan.

Martin -- No interest in him. He is going to hit someone on the sideline one day and I wouldn't want the PR hassle.

Howard -- Potentially great or horrible. Probably not an in-between. Would think he could recruit and would certainly bring energy and a passion for the University. But it's a jump up to running own program. Question is could he just land recruit after recruit to let him learn on job. Would have to pair with an established former head coach to help guide him. Someone like Rob Judson or Norm Roberts. And I wonder why he hasn't been in real consideration for any of the job openings that have been around the state.

I would add names like Anthony Grant, Chris Collins, Archie Miller, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Ok, to take this back on topic, mind sharing your thoughts?

Positive / negatives of:

- Shaka Smart

- Craig Robinson

- Gregg Marshall

- Frank Martin

- What do you think of Jerrance becoming HC?
icasaman is offline
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #650
Obelix
Obelix's Avatar
Posts: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU Hoops Coach View Post
If someone asks me to rank the Illinois job for the next 4 years (where the kids on my team will be....4 years) I'd tell them that Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin are on better ground.

Is that wrong of me if that is how I feel? If as kid asks me?

Now, if they have a new coach and in two years are on the way up, my answer would probably change, wouldn't it?
I would not disagree that Illinois is behind right now the programs that you mentioned and we have Weber to thank for that. Since the last players who were recruited and played for Self left, it has been the worst stretch in our school's history since the late 70s. So no argument there.

But you mentioned the Illinois "coaching" job as mid-level BT job (in the context of Stevens) and you tried to justify your response by how you will advise a kid (a player) for the next 4 years. How is that relevant? Indiana had been atrocious for the last few years until this year. Would you have considered the IU job a low level BT job?

And coming back to your example of advising kids, since Indiana had been so bad until this year, I assume you would have also advised kids like Zeller, Perea, Ferrell and Hollowell against IU. Correct? I am following your logic. Obviously they did not base their decision on that logic, correct?
Obelix is online now
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump