Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

World Champion St Louis Cardinals Offseason

Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:09 PM   #576
DrewD007
Good stuff about Molina. Freese possibly getting work at first base is interesting considering that Zach Cox is expected to hit the big leagues next season. If Berkman leaves, then I could see having Freese at first and Cox at third in 2013.
DrewD007 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:02 PM   #577
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSteve View Post
Some good news for ya'll

https://twitter.com/#!/dgoold
Great news -- sure hope the Birds can get it done and re-sign Molina. They need him.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html
dgcrow is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:35 PM   #578
DrewD007
Quote:
Source: Molina five-year deal with #STLCards in $70M to $75M range

Ken_Rosenthal
A bit more than I would've liked (I would've topped out at AAV of $12 million). Damn Joe Mauer messing the catcher market up.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #579
IlliniSteve
Yeah that's steep. I was thinking more along the lines of 60 million. Wow. 2nd highest paid catcher in the game if true.
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #580
wpr
It is a lot like Ozzie getting $2 mil in his day based mainly on his defense.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:39 PM   #581
dgcrow
Quote:
Yeah that's steep. I was thinking more along the lines of 60 million. Wow. 2nd highest paid catcher in the game if true.
Cards probably went higher than they normally would, not wanting to lose him after Albert left.

Last edited by dgcrow; Feb 27, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #582
Illinois21
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrow View Post
Cards probably went higher than they normally would, not wanting to lose him after Albert left.
I agree they went a little too high. 70-75 million over 5 years is a little too steep but to me it shows he truly is the most irreplaceable cardinal right now.
Illinois21 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:20 PM   #583
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois21 View Post
I agree they went a little too high. 70-75 million over 5 years is a little too steep but to me it shows he truly is the most irreplaceable cardinal right now.
Yeah, it probably is a too steep, but it also shows that the front office is willing to loosen its purse strings a little when it feels that it is necessary.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:04 AM   #584
IlliniAmy
Quote:
I have ZILCH problem with Yadi being the 2nd highest paid catcher in the game.

It is my opinion that Yadier Molina is the best catcher in the big leagues. Even if he's not THE best, he's in the top three. He produces at the plate; he calls a good game; he's still got a cannon for an arm; he displays a confident aura & seems like a good teammate. I've always said that he could improve on blocking pitches in the dirt, but that just proves he ain't perfect.

Yes, for a catcher, you could technically call him "aging", but he's 29-years-old, and unlike his predecessor, doesn't have a history of frequent concusssions (yet). It is a FIVE-year contract, not a TEN-year one. He's only getting paid through the age of 34.

Albert Pujols's aren't a dime-a-dozen, but there are plenty of solid first basemen. Catchers the likes of Yadier Molina are extremely rare.

I like the deal.
IlliniAmy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:22 AM   #585
DrewD007
I like keeping Yadi, but I don't think the market justifies the $15 million/year. That's just me.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:25 PM   #586
carmelillini
Hey, it's not our $$. Glad to see they locked up Yadi. With Dunc gone, having Yadi on board to stabilize the pitching staff is a good thing.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:31 PM   #587
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Hey, it's not our $$. Glad to see they locked up Yadi. With Dunc gone, having Yadi on board to stabilize the pitching staff is a good thing.
It is OUR $$. No owner just pulls money our of his retirement fund. We pay for the salaries when we buy tickets, food and drinks and memorabilia. Along with all the other sports franchise related items. Not to mention the tv fees that generate revenue along with the mark up due to advertisements.

Every last cent comes right back to the fans and consumers in general.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #588
carmelillini
I believe a big chunk of PR went west.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:44 AM   #589
wpr
Komatsu aiming to stick with Cards

I have always hoped the Rule 5 selections make the club. Of course they rarely do. I guess it is the finding the diamond in the rough. Sort of like getting McGee from the Yankees for Bob Sykes. If he makes the team then someone else as promising ( Chambers/Robinson?) won't.
Most likely 2 of the 3 will head north with the club while Craig rehabs.

Quote:
... (Erik) Komatsu found himself selected by the Cardinals in the Rule 5 Draft.

The acquisition cost the Cardinals, who viewed Komatsu as a candidate to fill an open bench spot as an extra outfielder, $50,000. The catch, of course, is that they'll only be able to ensure that the 24-year-old remains in the organization if he sticks on the 25-man roster all season.

"It seems like [he is] a talented kid," manager Mike Matheny said. "He's going to be a pretty good defender in the outfield. And he swings the bat pretty well. We had some good reports on some things he did in the past, and we'll certainly take a look."
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:32 PM   #590
wpr
Komatsu opening eyes, could land roster spot

Quote:
While Allen Craig made a good step in the right direction by taking batting practice on the field in Jupiter on Thursday morning, the odds of him being ready to go on Opening Day get slimmer with each passing day. Should Craig open the season on the disabled list, that would likely open the door for an extra outfielder to break camp on the 25-man roster.

So far, all those getting consideration have done well with the opportunities they've been given. Perhaps no one has stood out more than Rule 5 Draft pick Erik Komatsu, but that also might be because he came in as the biggest unknown.

"We had no expectation on what we were going to see from Erik Komatsu, and he's certainly impressed us with his outfield play, just his knowledge of the game, his jumps, his aggressiveness, his routes," manager Mike Matheny said. "Everything that he's been doing in the outfield has really stood out. He's been impressive."
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:55 PM   #591
dansaint
Cardinals to wear Gold script and letters for first 2 games of season to honor WS trophy.

http://www.cardinal70.com/stlouiscar...rm=%23stlcards

dansaint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:10 PM   #592
wpr
nice
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:08 PM   #593
DrewD007
Wish they had kept the script red, and just had the bat and number gold.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #594
bmb777
Banned
my mom and dad are in Florida, been there all of this week. They saw the spring training games on wednesday and thursday, and Cards won both of them. Bet I get a spring training hat or shirt, since all the times in the past they have gone they have brought me something back. first year being married though they may be in trouble if they dont bring my wife something as well :laugh:
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:55 PM   #595
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Wish they had kept the script red, and just had the bat and number gold.
I dont know, its kinda cool having the script, bat, and number gold
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:51 AM   #596
carmelillini
They look great.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:54 AM   #597
carmelillini
Time to get out the checkbook and sign Roy Oswalt. Carp absence leaves a big hole that needs to be filled.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #598
dansaint
Angels are front runner for Oswalt...Lance Lynn will start for mean time...if Carp is still out by summer..expect Shelby Miller to get the call up.
dansaint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #599
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
Angels are front runner for Oswalt...Lance Lynn will start for mean time...if Carp is still out by summer..expect Shelby Miller to get the call up.
Summer is too late. Need major experience from the get go. Please sign Roy!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #600
Loyal to Illinois
From my son who really wanted to do a post

I can't believe Pujols left! But the Cardinals will still rock due to Freese.
Loyal to Illinois is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »