Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2012 Stanley Cup NHL Playoffs

Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Blackhawks tie it up with 5 seconds left, then win it in overtime at Phoenix. Series tied 1-1, heading back to the Chi!!!

Go Hawks!

Conference Quarterfinal Series Standings
NYR 1- Ottawa 1
Boston 1 - Washington 1
New Jersey 1 - Florida 0
Philadelphia 2 - Pittsburgh 0
LA 2 - Vancouver 0
STL 1 - San Jose 1
Pho 1 - Chicago 1
Nashville 1 - Red Wings 1
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
ChiSoxIllini82
As a Blackhawks fan I love the fact that the Canucks are on the verge of getting swept

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
NV Illini 74
Poor Canucks, it's just not right if the Hawks don't oust them!

Gotta shout out to JP, who's MIA these days. I'm worried he might do something extreme after that game tying goal was disallowed yesterday when the buzzer went off a nanosecond before the puck crossed the goal line.

What kind of Cup would it be to the Hawks if it didn't included beating either the Nucks or the Wings?! :laugh:

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4
bmb777
Banned
Go Blues!!! looking good so far, up 4-1 late in 3rd period.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
KBLEE
Brendan Shanahan just proved how clueless he is by suspending Andrew Shaw for 3 GAMES.

So - Shea Weber gets a $2500 fine and no suspension for intentionally slamming Zetterberg's head into the glass. Matt Carkner pummels a defenseless player and gets a 1 Game suspension. But, incidental contact to a goalie who never even left the game warrants a game misconduct ejection and an additional 3 game suspension. How about some consistency?
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Illini2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Brendan Shanahan just proved how clueless he is by suspending Andrew Shaw for 3 GAMES.

So - Shea Weber gets a $2500 fine and no suspension for intentionally slamming Zetterberg's head into the glass. Matt Carkner pummels a defenseless player and gets a 1 Game suspension. But, incidental contact to a goalie who never even left the game warrants a game misconduct ejection and an additional 3 game suspension. How about some consistency?
1. Incidental contact
2. Goalie is suddenly fine once Shaw is tossed
3. Shaw already served an unfair punishment

= 3 game suspension?

I don't get it. Let's pummel them tonight.

Class of 2016
Illini2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
NV Illini 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2016 View Post
1. Incidental contact

= 3 game suspension?

Yotes, refs or both?!

GO HAWKS ! !

Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:55 PM   #8
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
But, incidental contact to a goalie who never even left the game warrants a game misconduct ejection and an additional 3 game suspension. How about some consistency?

Quote:
"The contact Shaw makes with Smith is not incidental," NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan said. "Rather, it is a forceful blow delivered by Shaw's shoulder to Smith's chin. Also, in our opinion, Shaw does not make a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story...tes-mike-smith
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:03 PM   #9
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
1. Incidental contact

= 3 game suspension?

there was nothing incidental about it. it was intentional and unwarranted. if anything the suspension should be longer.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb777 View Post
there was nothing incidental about it. it was intentional and unwarranted. if anything the suspension should be longer.
GMAFB dude. :rolleyes: No way was the hit intentional. The Goalie (Smith) held onto the puck long enough that he should have been fair game. Goalies are too protected in the NHL (like qb's in the NHL/superstars in NBA). Furthermore, Shaw clearly tried to pull his shoulder in immediately before the hit.

I can understand the major penalty. I can even deal with the game misconduct ejection. But 3 game suspension is 3 too many. Outrageous, especially after the $2500 fine that the other guy (can't remember his name) will have to pay for literally slamming a guy's head into the glass with his hand.

PS Hawks score!!!

Last edited by NorthwesternIllini4; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #11
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
GMAFB dude. :rolleyes: No way was the hit intentional. The Goalie (Smith) held onto the puck long enough that he should have been fair game. Goalies are too protected in the NHL (like qb's in the NHL/superstars in NBA). Furthermore, Shaw clearly tried to pull his shoulder in immediately before the hit.

I can understand the major penalty. I can even deal with the game misconduct ejection. But 3 game suspension is 3 too many. Outrageous, especially after the $2500 fine that the other guy (can't remember his name) will have to pay for literally slamming a guy's head into the glass with his hand.

PS Hawks score!!!
I watched the video of it many times. anyone who is objectional(not a blackhawks fan) can clearly see he made no effort to avoid the hit and he lowered his shoulder to hit him in the chin. he didnt try to pull his shoulder in, he lowered his shoulder to hit him. read the NHL statement on it. they say it was clear he made no effort to avoid the hit, meaning it was intentional, and he clearly lowered his shoulder to hit him in the chin. had he made an effort to avoid the hit he might have got ejected, but probably wouldnt have got suspended. maybe goalies are too protected, but had it been blackhawks goalie, you wouldnt be saying goalies are too protected.

and yes Shea should have gotten more than a 2500 dollar fine. that is why now in cases where its obvious the hit was intentional, like Shaw's hit was, they are cracking down harder on it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:38 AM   #12
NV Illini 74
I want guys like Raffi Torres out of hockey forever.

Absolutely ruins the great game of hockey.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7370598.story

Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:54 AM   #13
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV Illini 74 View Post
I want guys like Raffi Torres out of hockey forever.

Absolutely ruins the great game of hockey.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7370598.story
Torres should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs. I cant believe he wasnt given a penalty and ejected.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Illini2016
Incidental contact, player stays in game = 3 game suspension + 5min major

Intentional contact, player rushed to hospital = No in-game penalty, weak reaction from league

Fire Shanahan immeditately and toss Torres for the remainder of the season.

Class of 2016
Illini2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:40 PM   #15
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Incidental contact, player stays in game = 3 game suspension + 5min major

Intentional contact, player rushed to hospital = No in-game penalty, weak reaction from league

Fire Shanahan immeditately and toss Torres for the remainder of the season.
weak reaction? he is suspended indefinitely. on friday that suspension should be extended to include the entire playoffs.

and once again, the contact against phoenix goalie was NOT incidental. I know you wish it was, but it wasnt. it was as intentional as the hit was against Hossa.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:43 PM   #16
NV Illini 74
Quote:
I watched the video of it many times. anyone who is objectional(not a blackhawks fan) can clearly see he made no effort to avoid the hit and he lowered his shoulder to hit him in the chin. he didnt try to pull his shoulder in, he lowered his shoulder to hit him. read the NHL statement on it. they say it was clear he made no effort to avoid the hit, meaning it was intentional, and he clearly lowered his shoulder to hit him in the chin. had he made an effort to avoid the hit he might have got ejected, but probably wouldnt have got suspended. maybe goalies are too protected, but had it been blackhawks goalie, you wouldnt be saying goalies are too protected.

and yes Shea should have gotten more than a 2500 dollar fine. that is why now in cases where its obvious the hit was intentional, like Shaw's hit was, they are cracking down harder on it.
I disagree. I think Shaw's contact with Smith was unintentional. Shaw was flying in and Smith was not paying attention to much of anything. There was hardly any room for Shaw to get through, plus Smith was slapping at the puck, towards Shaw, just as Shaw was coming in on him. I don't see Shaw dropping his shoulder to hit Smith, not in any way. To me, Smith moved his body and head in the wrong place at the wrong time, and there wasn't much Shaw could do about it. Here is the best video I could find:

BTW, I am not familiar with current rules about contact with goalies. I know you can't hit them when they are in the crease, but when they go behind the net like this, is there absolutely no contact allowed or what? I played intermurals at UI and seem to recollect that if I came out of the crease I could get legally creamed.

Last edited by NV Illini 74; Apr 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
NV Illini 74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:43 AM   #17
KBLEE
Quote:
and once again, the contact against phoenix goalie was NOT incidental. I know you wish it was, but it wasnt. it was as intentional as the hit was against Hossa.
Well - you and Brendan Shanahan seem to be the only ones thinking it was intentional. Every other NHL analyst has indicated that he appeared to try to avoid contact. Also, as soon as the penalty was announced, Smith popped back up and played the rest of the game (never missed a minute of action). It was a good acting job...he deserves the NHL version of the Oscar. Shanahan has proved to be a loon with his recent decisions, so at least you are in good company.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:15 AM   #18
JSpence
1) Acting job after a minute or so after he started to realize he wasn't bloody and broken.

2) I see a player at high speed turning his shoulder into a stationary person. There was room on the wall to get out of the way. When turning left like that, it takes extra effort to stand up a bit and twist clockwise like the hitter did.. it's unnatural and you lose a bit of control.

Watch the full speed long shot and picture the goalie not there at all, just the puck. Doesn't it look strange?

Bias check : I am glad when the Blackhawks win, but am not much of a hockey fan anymore.
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #19
NV Illini 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpence View Post
1) Acting job after a minute or so after he started to realize he wasn't bloody and broken.

2) I see a player at high speed turning his shoulder into a stationary person. There was room on the wall to get out of the way. When turning left like that, it takes extra effort to stand up a bit and twist clockwise like the hitter did.. it's unnatural and you lose a bit of control.

Watch the full speed long shot and picture the goalie not there at all, just the puck. Doesn't it look strange?

Bias check : I am glad when the Blackhawks win, but am not much of a hockey fan anymore.
I see what you mean, but I still disagree. Shaw was coming in at high speed, was angled in to the left because he was turning left. What you think is a motion by Shaw to make contact with Smith seems to me to be a motion to avoid contact, except Smith is clueless and moves further into Shaw's path as Smith swats at the puck. Shaw had a few inches between himself and the boards, but at his speed IMO and the last second move by Smith, I just don't think Shaw could have changed the path of his motion any more that he did by slightly standing up to try to minimize contact. And that seems to be what you see as intent by Shaw to contact Smith. I see just the opposite.

In any event, there is absolutely no comparison of thsi to what Raffi Torres did to Hossa. That was not only headhunting, but leaping off his feet with specific intent, and doing so when Hossa wasn't looking.

Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:15 PM   #20
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Well - you and Brendan Shanahan seem to be the only ones thinking it was intentional. Every other NHL analyst has indicated that he appeared to try to avoid contact. Also, as soon as the penalty was announced, Smith popped back up and played the rest of the game (never missed a minute of action). It was a good acting job...he deserves the NHL version of the Oscar. Shanahan has proved to be a loon with his recent decisions, so at least you are in good company.
well you know what? anaylsts can say what they want, they are just paid talking heads. they arent the ones that actually matter and the ones that actually make the decision. and no im not the only one who thinks that. most people outside of chicago and some talking heads think that.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #21
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
I disagree. I think Shaw's contact with Smith was unintentional. Shaw was flying in and Smith was not paying attention to much of anything. There was hardly any room for Shaw to get through, plus Smith was slapping at the puck, towards Shaw, just as Shaw was coming in on him. I don't see Shaw dropping his shoulder to hit Smith, not in any way. To me, Smith moved his body and head in the wrong place at the wrong time, and there wasn't much Shaw could do about it. Here is the best video I could find:

BTW, I am not familiar with current rules about contact with goalies. I know you can't hit them when they are in the crease, but when they go behind the net like this, is there absolutely no contact allowed or what? I played intermurals at UI and seem to recollect that if I came out of the crease I could get legally creamed.
what I found by looking it up said when the goalie is outside the crease it comes down to if the contact is intentional or not. if the goalie is holding the puck like he was, another player just cant come in and cream him, but if the contact was incidental then its not a penalty. I think the contact was at best reckless but not intended to hurt him, at worst intentional. regardless he deserved the penalty and suspension he got. I dont buy the he raised his shoulder to try to avoid contact argument.

but you are right, you cant compare the 2 incidents. Torres should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs, and beyond.

I read some comments by some Coyotes fans on the Phoenix newspapers websites that were very stupid. one guy claimed Hossa did a great acting job. which is stupid, you arent acting if you are hurt bad enough to have paramedics strap you to a backboard with a c-collar on and rush you to a level 1 trauma center. they claimed since he was released that night he was acting. also stupid, being a former cop and paramedic I have seen people airlifted to trauma centers that at the scene appeared to be critically injured(obviously not acting) but upon arrival were determined to not be seriously injured and released later that day.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:24 PM   #22
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
what I found by looking it up said when the goalie is outside the crease it comes down to if the contact is intentional or not. if the goalie is holding the puck like he was, another player just cant come in and cream him, but if the contact was incidental then its not a penalty. I think the contact was at best reckless but not intended to hurt him, at worst intentional. regardless he deserved the penalty and suspension he got. I dont buy the he raised his shoulder to try to avoid contact argument.

but you are right, you cant compare the 2 incidents. Torres should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs, and beyond.

I read some comments by some Coyotes fans on the Phoenix newspapers websites that were very stupid. one guy claimed Hossa did a great acting job. which is stupid, you arent acting if you are hurt bad enough to have paramedics strap you to a backboard with a c-collar on and rush you to a level 1 trauma center. they claimed since he was released that night he was acting. also stupid, being a former cop and paramedic I have seen people airlifted to trauma centers that at the scene appeared to be critically injured(obviously not acting) but upon arrival were determined to not be seriously injured and released later that day.
Wow. Those comments are an entirely different breed of stupid. At least we can agree that Torres is a first-class thug and needs to be suspended for at least the rest of the playoffs. There's no room for his violence out on the ice.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
In any case, it looks like the Coyotes will be without Torres for (at least) tonight, and we will be without Shaw and Hossa. The Hawks have been getting good looks the last few games, just need to start converting those close shots in the slot.

Let's even this series up and get the Madhouse rocking again!

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:39 PM   #24
NV Illini 74
Raffi Torres suspended 25 games for hit on Marian Hossa

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...n-marian-hossa

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:51 PM   #25
JW
Of all the gin joints...
Quote:
Raffi Torres suspended 25 games for hit on Marian Hossa

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...n-marian-hossa
Certainly deserving of a long suspension, but 25 seems excessive.
JW is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »