Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2012 Illini Football Spring Game - Blue 13, Orange 12

Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:38 PM   #126
Holdemall
Is it me, or did the steaks actually look a little less appetizing than the beans?
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #127
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:45 PM   #128
tillinib
Quote:
Originally Posted by nation View Post
ya well that is because Jenkins was his only read. jenkins or tuck it and go. This year illini has at least three receivers who can play and a walk-on kid bonahoom that made plays this spring. I do agree that whole offense had issues and nate had no help.
If by the 3 recievers you mean harris, lankford, and milines then they aren't bad. All have the tendency to drop passes when thrown to, but the best if milines out of those three. He is the only guy with AJ Jenkins potential. For the 4th reciever, if we are depending on a walk on there's a problem. Nate threw to the other recievers but towards the end of the season he lost confidence in them. It's Nate's fault for not sticking with his reads, and it's the recievers fault for not catching the passes.
tillinib is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:55 PM   #129
tillinib
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Drums View Post
This is the 1st position the new staff needs to close the boarders on. There are top quality linemen to recruit from IL. The suburbs kick out 2-5 4 star kids almost annually. Not to mention the rest of the state. Staff should rent apartments across the street from Barrington High School, the Lincoln Ways, the Glenbards, and about half of the CCL and ESCC. The schools poaching these kids, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, and Indiana are all in the league. This is a must for program success. It all starts up front.
It starts with Ethan Pocic this year then. But let's face it, it's hard get the "high star" kids over those schools you mentioned besides Indiana. However in my opinion, the stars of a player aren't important. It's whether the guy comes in with his ability and improves his strength and footwork while he is there. They need to get guys with a good work ethic. OL is easily the most delevopmental position on the team. The good OL recruits help in the begining, but if we can't develop them over their 4 years here then they won't be anything.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:31 PM   #130
BigStan97
with the realistic idea of the kids we could possibly get: Pocic OT Bailey QB Augusta TE/DL Mosely DB/WR Banks CB Dunbar DE Keeler OT

and those are just the instate guys that we have offered that we are still in the mix for. (as far as i now)

but even getting half of those guys and Becks ties with OH guys would really help the process along
BigStan97 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:56 PM   #131
Ander1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillinib View Post
If by the 3 recievers you mean harris, lankford, and milines then they aren't bad. All have the tendency to drop passes when thrown to, but the best if milines out of those three. He is the only guy with AJ Jenkins potential. For the 4th reciever, if we are depending on a walk on there's a problem. Nate threw to the other recievers but towards the end of the season he lost confidence in them. It's Nate's fault for not sticking with his reads, and it's the recievers fault for not catching the passes.
If the walkon makes plays against scholarship players?

I think some scrub Wisconsin walk on wide receiver ran rampant on secondaries last year. Not saying our guy will be like the Wisconsin guy, but you can't count a guy out just because he is a walk on.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:05 PM   #132
War Drums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post

I think some scrub Wisconsin walk on wide receiver ran rampant on secondaries last year. Not saying our guy will be like the Wisconsin guy, but you can't count a guy out just because he is a walk on.
Illini need offense. Especially in 3rd down passing situations. Take it wherever and from whomever you can get it. Blue- Chip, Scholarship, Walk-On, guy in the stands, the , or a cheerleader--let's move the ball. If this guy produces and is a quality kid, put him out there.
War Drums is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #133
nation
Banned
walk ons...

Quote:

I agree...everyone please watch this video and if this is a example of a walk on lets get more of them. This guy can flat out play. Wont be a walk on much longer for illini .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfy3aYH6OAc
nation is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:10 PM   #134
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
I agree...everyone please watch this video and if this is a example of a walk on lets get more of them. This guy can flat out play. Wont be a walk on much longer for illini .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfy3aYH6OAc
You do realize walk-ons contributing ANYTHING to any program is very rare right? Letalone anything significant. I'm not saying it can't happen or we shouldn't take walkons but lets not pretend like the more we take the better it's going to make our team.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #135
nation
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
You do realize walk-ons contributing ANYTHING to any program is very rare right? Letalone anything significant. I'm not saying it can't happen or we shouldn't take walkons but lets not pretend like the more we take the better it's going to make our team.
You are right. All I am saying great programs find diamonds in the rough. Every great programs seem to produce them. There are tons of stories about walkons whom make it. Recruiters make mistakes sometimes and kids dont get offered. Or a kid turns down Mac offers to take a shot in big ten and they produce. Most walkons do fail. The usual walk on routine is "they wont play me becasue I am a walk-on" Most just cant run. But when you get a walk on that can run and play its a great bonus. Those kids are attracted to good programs. This film I found is an example of a kid that is a playmaker with legit division one speed. Of course you have to run. we are not talking rudy here....walkons are a huge component of a succesful programs especially with the restrictions on numbers every year. A good walk on story helps programs recruit these type of players. If they know they will be evaluated the same way as scholarship kids and get a chance to earn there way...great things happen.
nation is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:39 PM   #136
illiniobserver22
Quote:
You are right. All I am saying great programs find diamonds in the rough. Every great programs seem to produce them. There are tons of stories about walkons whom make it. Recruiters make mistakes sometimes and kids dont get offered. Or a kid turns down Mac offers to take a shot in big ten and they produce. Most walkons do fail. The usual walk on routine is "they wont play me becasue I am a walk-on" Most just cant run. But when you get a walk on that can run and play its a great bonus. Those kids are attracted to good programs. This film I found is an example of a kid that is a playmaker with legit division one speed. Of course you have to run. we are not talking rudy here....walkons are a huge component of a succesful programs especially with the restrictions on numbers every year. A good walk on story helps programs recruit these type of players. If they know they will be evaluated the same way as scholarship kids and get a chance to earn there way...great things happen.
Zach Becker, Eddie Viliunas and Wisdom Onyegbule are all walk-ons that have contributed a lot to the past few Illinois teams.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a kid like Bonahoom to give us something in the next 4 years. He definitely got his share of passes in the spring game, which if nothing else means he was open.

And you're right, his film is pretty good for a walk-on. He can run a bit.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:18 PM   #137
Ander1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Fair point. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but you will be surprised where you find great players.

Bryant Moniz at University of Hawaii at Manoa comes to mind.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #138
tillinib
Quote:

I never said he is bad or will be bad. I am saying if we are relying on a walk on to be a contributor this year we have issues but if he turns out to be like the guy from Wisconsin I am sure everyone will be very pleased. However, guys like those are extremely lucky for a program.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #139
Ander1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillinib View Post
I never said he is bad or will be bad. I am saying if we are relying on a walk on to be a contributor this year we have issues but if he turns out to be like the guy from Wisconsin I am sure everyone will be very pleased. However, guys like those are extremely lucky for a program.
They sure are. Illini Nation has got to be in store for a lucky gift like that.... right?!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:03 AM   #140
ChiefBird15
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Zach Becker, Eddie Viliunas and Wisdom Onyegbule are all walk-ons that have contributed a lot to the past few Illinois teams.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a kid like Bonahoom to give us something in the next 4 years. He definitely got his share of passes in the spring game, which if nothing else means he was open.

And you're right, his film is pretty good for a walk-on. He can run a bit.
Agreed.............I dont really care how he got here, if he can help the Illini win games then play the kid.
Put the very best kids on the field that give you the very best chance to win scholly or no scholly.
Too much emphasis put on whether a kid is getting a free ride or not, doesnt have any impact on whether he can play or not.
ChiefBird15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #141
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBird15 View Post
Agreed.............I dont really care how he got here, if he can help the Illini win games then play the kid.
Put the very best kids on the field that give you the very best chance to win scholly or no scholly.
Too much emphasis put on whether a kid is getting a free ride or not, doesnt have any impact on whether he can play or not.
I don't think most of us care about free-ride or not. However, most realize that a kid who's given a scholly probably has more talent than a guy who's trying to walk on. There's a reason you don't hear about nearly as many walkons being successful as guys on scholarship. As I said earlier, there are certainly times when a walk-on has been successful and they certainly have their place in programs but many more times than not, that place is on a scout team. I hope we can get help from them but I wouldn't count on it.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »